What is Dexos? And Pennzoil Ultra failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Thank for your inquiry. Yes our Pennzoil Ultra is a different formulation and yes it uses our Group III base stock as starting material.

I see that Dave.The problem is they have lumped GTL in GrpIII. I will email them also for some clarification about GrpIII+
This is a problem because if they have thrown a true synthetic in with the HC stuff it gives undeserved credibility to HC base stocks.

DevilsRule]
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Why does Pennzoil Ultra not pass, but lesser oils like Platinum and Gold (blend) do?

Dexos is a money grab for GM. It does not make sense for oil manufacturer to carry the Dexos logo on oil their products, because that just means they'll have to pay more fees to GM.

Why is it anymore of a "money grab" than any of the spec's listed for German cars?

I agree.....it seems that if it were Honda or BMW then it would be ok. GM wanted a superior oil spec for their vehicles. GM is a business.....and businesses want to make money to cover testing and of course for profit. I guess its only ok for foreign manufacturers to obtain profit.[/quote]

Your complete lack of understanding of the topic and xenophobic post is completely unwarranted IMO.
You would of been better served by not stating such a ignorant post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Thank for your inquiry. Yes our Pennzoil Ultra is a different formulation and yes it uses our Group III base stock as starting material.

I see that Dave.The problem is they have lumped GTL in GrpIII. I will email them also for some clarification about GrpIII+
This is a problem because if they have thrown a true synthetic in with the HC stuff it gives undeserved credibility to HC base stocks.

This very well could be. I am very impressed with Pennzoil's offerings and accessibility of Shell's technical services.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Why does Pennzoil Ultra not pass, but lesser oils like Platinum and Gold (blend) do?

Dexos is a money grab for GM. It does not make sense for oil manufacturer to carry the Dexos logo on oil their products, because that just means they'll have to pay more fees to GM.

Why is it anymore of a "money grab" than any of the spec's listed for German cars?

I agree.....it seems that if it were Honda or BMW then it would be ok. GM wanted a superior oil spec for their vehicles. GM is a business.....and businesses want to make money to cover testing and of course for profit. I guess its only ok for foreign manufacturers to obtain profit.

I see you missed my reply that was a whole two posts down from the one you quoted:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2868007#Post2868007

The other OEM's charge for the certification. GM charges royalties on every quart of oil sold. THAT is the money grab. GM had previous certifications that nobody had ANY issue with, certifications that were payed for in the same manner as any other OEM.

The fact that you assume it is just people ripping on GM for no reason and that the other OEM's get a free pass is just sad. What is even sadder is that there have been NUMEROUS topics on DEXOS on this board, covering this in GREAT detail, yet we still get posts like these "Oh, people just want to hate on GM, if it was Toyota/Honda/Nissan/BMW/Mercedes/Lada/Yugo/Great Wall/KIA...etc *insert other foreign marque here* it would be no problem!" COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to the fact that GM ALREADY HAD OIL CERTIFICATIONS BEFORE DEXOS! And one of them was VERY DEMANDING!

It has NOTHING to do with GM wanting superior performance from lubricants used in their engines. NOTHING!

It has EVERYTHING to do with the DEXOS licencing nonsense with regards to royalties on quarts of oil sold. THAT is the issue. And GM is, as far as I know, the ONLY OEM doing it.

THAT is the issue with DEXOS, that is why numerous oil companies took issue with DEXOS. Do you honestly think they were just shunning GM because "everybody hates GM"? Dear Lord........

Originally Posted By: Trav

This very well could be. I am very impressed with Pennzoil's offerings and accessibility of Shell's technical services.

I emailed them but forgot to mention SN. I think maybe the change from SM has caused a lot of confusion, not only for us but for their PR personnel also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back