What is chevron ISOSYN??

Went to costco yesterday and looked at the chevron supreme. The box says formulated with ISOSYN whats that? Is chevron supreme a semi syn or something? Or is it just waht they call their base oil like pennzoil PUREBASE? Also noticed they have a different bottle design then thay use to, have they changed their formulation?

Yeah, it's what they call their group II+ base oil; just like Pennzoil and 'PUREBASE'. Very good oil.

Formulated with ISOSYN® technology All lubricants in the Delo® Advantage range utilise ISOSYN® technology, a patented process that purifi es and refi nes mineral base oils by removing impurities and contaminants such as nitrogen, sulphur and wax. ISOSYN® mineral based lubricants provide performance equivalent to synthetics, at a lower cost.

Chevron's ISODEWAXING® catalyst revolutionized base oil quality. Virtually all of the world's premium base oils are produced using this isomerized dewaxing technology. Due to their purity and oxidation stability, Chevron premium base oils enable lubricant blenders to cut costs while meeting stringent specifications for cleaner-burning engines.

Hi, Chevron (Caltex) has always produced extremely good lubricant technologies - especially within their Delo range They have been pioneers in the development of many advances in base oil technology over a very long time I worked for Chevron-Caltex in Copenhagen (Denmark) for several years in the 1960s. I've had exposure to their Delo products since the mid 1950s in a wide variety of applications

IsoSyn is a great base oil , BTW Pennzoil's oil called Purebase was sourced from Conoco , very similar to their Hydro-Clear.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why was this thread brought back from the dead?
Maybe they did so you'd ask your's ?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi, Chevron (Caltex) has always produced extremely good lubricant technologies - especially within their Delo range They have been pioneers in the development of many advances in base oil technology over a very long time I worked for Chevron-Caltex in Copenhagen (Denmark) for several years in the 1960s. I've had exposure to their Delo products since the mid 1950s in a wide variety of applications
Now I know why I knew your name from somewhere !

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Because reading is knowledge, and knowledge is power. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: skellyman
Maybe they did so you'd ask your's ?
Hey, that's funny. A really got a good chuckle this morning: LOL laugh

Last edited:
Question of the Delo 400 LE 5w30 with ISOSYN: Does this mean that this oil has a LOT of VII's? Since it's a Group II+ with PAO mix perhaps?? I'm assuming it has to have a fair dose of PAO with a -51 pour point. It's still called a "synthetic", but I'm not sure it's a 100% synthetic and we may never know. Just wondering. It starts out at 11.9 viscosity, and shears to 9.73 in about 5,000 miles in my 6.0 powerstroke, but no compromise in wear. Thank you,

Isosyn is a trade name for Isomerization of base stock. SOPUS equivalent would be PureBase. This is how most high grade group 2 and group 3 base stocks are made.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Question of the Delo 400 LE 5w30 with ISOSYN: Does this mean that this oil has a LOT of VII's? Since it's a Group II+ with PAO mix perhaps?? I'm assuming it has to have a fair dose of PAO with a -51 pour point. It's still called a "synthetic", but I'm not sure it's a 100% synthetic and we may never know. Just wondering. It starts out at 11.9 viscosity, and shears to 9.73 in about 5,000 miles in my 6.0 powerstroke, but no compromise in wear. Thank you,
It has some VII's, but probably not a lot I suppose. blush