What is best approach? transmission fluid change 2019 Corolla

I use a cheapo temp gun pointed at the pan and do the check at the lower range. This assumes the fluid is a few degrees hotter than the pan... I do think this process is pretty lame. There are too many variables, primarily leveling the vehicle properly. And what's "dribble", by the way?

The top of the fluid is the top of the fluid. Gimme an old skool dipstick and fill tube, dang it. And if you want a specific temp, put a readout on the screen.
Sheesh.

I use a cheapo temp gun pointed at the pan and do the check at the lower range. This assumes the fluid is a few degrees hotter than the pan... I do think this process is pretty lame. There are too many variables, primarily leveling the vehicle properly. And what's "dribble", by the way?

The top of the fluid is the top of the fluid. Gimme an old skool dipstick and fill tube, dang it. And if you want a specific temp, put a readout on the screen.
Sheesh.
I agree, let us car care nuts have our dip sticks! I love my 2000 Saturn, it has both a dip stick and an external screw-on filter. I can do both oil and transmission changes together in about a 1/2 hour.

Why don't you drain it out the bottom into a measuring container? That's what I did.
Then I put back 1/2 quart more and did the straw adjustment.

Yep. Very simple and you know exactly how much to refill.

Just did this on a Mazda when ATF was cold.

Sheesh.
Jeff,

What is the temperature spec for this change?

Jeff,

What is the temperature spec for this change?
35C to 45C if I remember correctly.
You might wanna double check with others or Google it.
This was my friend's 2015 Corolla S.

I shot for the lower range assuming the pan temp was lower than the fluid. Check different places on the pan and use the hottest.

Last edited:
Just did this the other day, measured what came out and put that in. Not much of the capacity but better than nothing. Fluid looked pretty good though. I might do this once or twice more, then do the proper fill level check.

I am ambivalent on the check level. It’s almost the same as a manual transmission or differential. Fill until fluid comes out. Only it has to be a particular temperature, which is the hard part (let it idle in the garage?). Dipstick is nice, but imo only if the fill is not the same dipstick tube.

You would have to weigh atf. Can not use volume because of different temperature. Also, you are assuming it has the correct amount now which it may not. Your last few sentences are nonsense.
Using weight is best bc its independant of temperature. Regarding temperature and volume calculations, visit the Engineering Toolbox. There are thermal expansion and volume calculators if really interested. I did and was surprised how little volume changes for common liquids with temperature. IMO, much ado about nothing... Are these transmissions really that sensitive to such precise calculations of fluid replacement volumes? Just saying...

Using weight is best bc its independant of temperature. Regarding temperature and volume calculations, visit the Engineering Toolbox. There are thermal expansion and volume calculators if really interested. I did and was surprised how little volume changes for common liquids with temperature. IMO, much ado about nothing... Are these transmissions really that sensitive to such precise calculations of fluid replacement volumes? Just saying...
Agreed, except that assumes the correct amount was in transmission to start with.
The dribble level setting is lame, but it is what it is. We all love our Toyotas; there is a reason for it.

I used this on my wife’s Buick. I measured what came out (cold) to what I put back in. Both the car and new ATF were stored for over 24 hours in the same garage. Once drained, I drained and cleaned out out the container and poured the same amount of fresh ATF into the container. Then poured into a funnel into the transmission. I added a few oz more fresh fluid to account for the “residual” left on the walls of the container and funnel.

2nd photo was old fluid. 3rd photo was fresh fluid. Not the official way to do it, but still better IMHO than trusting a dealership to actually do it right.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 9
on both my Camaro and my Nissan, both of which are "sealed" you fill the transmission with the engine
running and the drain plug and the internal plug(if equipped) removed, and when trans is warmed up you keep adding fluid until fluid runs out of the "Drain Plug"... then secure the drain plug and turn the vehicle off. They probably have a standpipe in the pan in question that looks like this ( it is on the right side of the pan in the picture, that tube stick up above the edge of the oil pan). you can put a couple quarts in the trans with the plug removed then you start it up, run it thru the gears, and with the vehicle level and running you keep adding trans fluid until oil starts running out of the "drain plug".

Pan as it came off after sucking oil out with pump.jpg

Why don't you drain it out the bottom into a measuring container? That's what I did.
Then I put back 1/2 quart more and did the straw adjustment.
Good advise.
Also, there are DYIer shops that rent a lift for 20-30$ an hour, will be a lot easier in there or in a level garage.

Back