Transmission fluid interval 2019 Corolla will dump and replace cause damage at 22,000?

Over the long term, when there clutch is worn enough, it will start shuddering on a "clean" fluid if you overdo the ATF as suggested above. Then you have to start adding stuff like Lubegard additives as a band-aid to replacing the torque converter, so lubegard makes some money on this.
This is only accurate if you change the transmission fluid on a 300k beater that has never had a service in it's life. I would argue that most people on this board change their ATF frequently, as do I, and have never had these problems. The automatic transmission in my 2002 Xterra shifts like the day it was purchased 20 years ago. Never add that snakeoil **** to your ATF.

Except you missed the caveats. real CVT's use Toyota Genuine CVTF FE

Hybrid transmissions "eCVT" uses WS
Apologies to all. I do not want to dispense inaccurate information.

Ha! I was just following a 2019+ model Corolla HB on the freeway.

My 2019 Lexus 250h and my current 2022 CorollaCross both use the same fluid.

I forgot that the 2019 Corolla sedan has a regular CVT, as clearly stated by OP.

The take is: use correct, genuine factory fluid, even if it is the basic, average quality WS.

Thank you for your responses. It makes be feel confidence to go for it. The 2019 manual for Corolla LE lists Fluid type: Toyota Genuine CVTF FE

I owned a 2015 Corolla with nearly the same CVT for about a year. I bought it with 103k and sold it around 110k. The transmission was never serviced at all best I could tell and performed just fine before and after. My OCD still had me do a basic drain/fill with about 4-5 quarts of Aisin CVT which is cheap and readily available at Rockauto. However, I didnt bother with the procedure of using a paperclip or whatever to get it to a certain temperature and see how much it pees out of the "overfill" hole. I simply replaced what drained. My brain still cant wrap my head around bothering with this temperature procedure.

here is the correct fluid https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/aisin,ATFTFE,transmission+fluid,11387

I owned a 2015 Corolla with nearly the same CVT for about a year. I bought it with 103k and sold it around 110k. The transmission was never serviced at all best I could tell and performed just fine before and after. My OCD still had me do a basic drain/fill with about 4-5 quarts of Aisin CVT which is cheap and readily available at Rockauto. However, I didnt bother with the procedure of using a paperclip or whatever to get it to a certain temperature and see how much it pees out of the "overfill" hole. I simply replaced what drained. My brain still cant wrap my head around bothering with this temperature procedure.

here is the correct fluid https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/aisin,ATFTFE,transmission+fluid,11387
I personally still follow all procedures, however if there is no transmission leaks then I personally do not see a problem putting the same amount back in of which came out.

With that extreme, it can hurt a thing, too clean of ATF is a bad thing. Some residual friction material floaties in the fluid is a good thing, for proper operation of the lock up clutch in a Torque Converter. Otherwise, you would need to add a friction modifier to the ATF for the lock up clutch to operate properly.
I respectfully disagree with your logic. I do not believe fluids can be too clean.

You forget something. A brand new lock up torque converter has the clutches operating optimal from the factory. But as soon as you start using it, the clutch material starts to wear, wear particles from the clutch which gets suspended in the ATF.

Over the long term, when there clutch is worn enough, it will start shuddering on a "clean" fluid if you overdo the ATF as suggested above. Then you have to start adding stuff like Lubegard additives as a band-aid to replacing the torque converter, so lubegard makes some money on this.
Are you serious? Have you ever been into an automatic before?

You are basically saying that they should fill the things with "dirty" fluid from the factory.

I've rebuilt several transmissions, and I will tell you without a hint of hesitation that clean cool fluid is what ANY transmission needs.

A CVT is even more sensitive to contamination, once the metal to metal push belt slips....game over. A conventional automatic is more forgiving.

I have yet to EVER see a functioning automatic fail due to a fluid change.

You are forgetting that all modern (post 1985) automatics are computer controlled. There are speed sensors on input, mid, and output shafts. So the computer (tcm) modulates pressures to all the clutches. So clean fluid is completly accounted for. This should not be a debate.

Last edited:
The Car Care Nut Youtube channel.

Care Care Nut is substantiated by many, many comments from followers, and by his utter substance.

A Toyota master technician on Youtube, fairly well educated on Toyota's specifically, but he is very strict in regards to OEM parts only even down to the simplest of things.

Good channel however for Toyota owners who are looking to get their hands dirty a bit.

Ah, yes. I am familiar with him. There was a discussion here on BITOG, that was all about his strong opinion on OCI on Toyota engines. Or at least certain Toyota engines. Yea, I wasn't all that impressed with the "legendary" Car Care Nut.

He definitely spews out a lot of self confidence in his opinions. But then, so does Scotty Kilmer. :sneaky:

You forget something. A brand new lock up torque converter has the clutches operating optimal from the factory. But as soon as you start using it, the clutch material starts to wear, wear particles from the clutch which gets suspended in the ATF.

I pull 3 quarts from the transmission every oil change (6k OCI) on my Chrysler Hemi with a NAG gearbox. Gearbox has 163k miles on it and operates perfectly. The shift logic loves partial EMCC and it’s smooth as butter.
That’s the first time I ever heard that theory, interesting though. Do you have a reference for that info?

Ah, yes. I am familiar with him. There was a discussion here on BITOG, that was all about his strong opinion on OCI on Toyota engines. Or at least certain Toyota engines. Yea, I wasn't all that impressed with the "legendary" Car Care Nut.

He definitely spews out a lot of self confidence in his opinions. But then, so does Scotty Kilmer. :sneaky:
Scotty is a good person to go to for 1994 Toyota Celica's that been sitting at 240,000 miles for the past 5+ years.

Carcarenut has credibility by way of factory level certifications.

Scotty Kilmer is a different story.

I pull 3 quarts from the transmission every oil change (6k OCI) on my Chrysler Hemi
Seems a little unnecessary and expensive for nothing. I can understand drain and fill every once in a while but every 6k? That's just nuts.

Ultimately changing transmission fluid is like smoking....

Some people do and live to be 95, some die and early ugly death.

Some people change the fluid and go 300k, some don't and replace transmission or sell vehicle before it blows up.

I choose to avoid the coffin nails, and do spill & fills at an interval which makes me feel good.

Seems a little unnecessary and expensive for nothing. I can understand drain and fill every once in a while but every 6k? That's just nuts.
3 quarts of +4 is a lot cheaper than a torque converter and clutches.
Do some research on Mercedes NAG transmissions, they need clean fluid. It’s not nuts it’s common sense thank you. A case of six quarts costs me 54 dollars from the dealer.

I bought at 2019 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 1.8L A/T L4 - 2ZR-FE, CVT, 2WD directly from Toyota dealer with 15,000 miles on it in Sept 2022. It now has 22,000 miles. I would like to dump and add new transmision fluid. It would allow a chance to see: 1) how clean it is and 2) if the fluid is low. I miss the old days with a stick but now I am blind to what is going on in the sealed transmission. Internet search on this topic reveals a general agreement to not change it until 60,000 miles. If changed earlier it will cause transmission problems. Should I wait until 60,000 or start now? Thank you
I like the idea of changing out the break in early. 20k or so seems about right for a first time.

3 quarts of +4 is a lot cheaper than a torque converter and clutches.
Do some research on Mercedes NAG transmissions, they need clean fluid. It’s not nuts it’s common sense thank you. A case of six quarts costs me 54 dollars from the dealer.
Yes,yes, the old "cheap insurance" theory. Good for a laugh. It's overkill.

Back