What is best approach? transmission fluid change 2019 Corolla

I want to change the 2019 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 1.8L A/T L4 - 2ZR-FE, CVT, 2WD transmission fluid. I would like to slide a tube into the fill hole (behind front wheel) and pump out fluid. Measure the fluid and put back new Toyota fluid. The fluid change has to be done at AutoZone parking lot. The temperature of the transmission fluid after a fifteen minute drive to AutoZone was 136 degrees. Will this work? Thanks

Last edited:
When you drain the fluid, the new fluid you replace it will be cold (ambient temperature), and you have to warm it up enough to get back to something warmer, so you'll have no problem :)

Why not? They do it in Roadkill or the other sister show (Faster with Finnegan?). lol
I've seen them even change or rebuild the engine, trans, etc. in the hotel parking lot or behind the auto parts store! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
On a Toyota 5/6 speed you check the fluid fill at a certain temperature, I do my Toyota RAV4 drain cold into a measured bucket, add back more than what came out by 1/4 to 1/2 quart. Drive to mix the fluid 3 to 5 miles, next morning when cold start car when transmission temperature reaches around 103 open drain plug some will come out but on the Rav there is a straw behind the drain plug the straw sticks up fluid flows from straw and when it slows to a dribble you put plug back in and level is set.

Yes, thank you. Toyota Master Tech is best method. I forgot to mention that I do not have the opportunity to finish next day fluid adjustment where I live (apartment rule can not work on car). My go to place is AutoZone parking lot to work on car. Which means I have to worry about temperature.

This is Scotty's version from where I started.

Last edited:
If AZ kicks you out just go to the industrial park side of town on a Sunday morning and do it on the side of the road there.

FWIW, I have changed oil (and/or) transmission fluids in Walmart parking lots, Hotel parking lots, car parts store parking lots, rest stops along interstates, etc., not lately, but when I was traveling a lot for work, yes. I changed out intake manifold gaskets in back of hotel parking lot while a registered guest. Finished car before check out time and drove it 300+ miles home on Sunday. I always stay well out of way of traffic (like next to garbage dumpster) or an unused corner of lot. I pick up everything and leave NO trace I was there.
Several times, people have asked me if I need help, no one has ever been rude or unfriendly to me, and I am always dressed for the occasion with gloves and coveralls, paper towels, funnels, drain pans with lids, etc.
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I BITOG maintain my vehicles and yes, I have everything with me that I need. My trunk is better equipped than some tow trucks.

I will be doing my 2019 soon. I plan to do it by weight. Yes, I am assuming the factory fill was at the correct level. I still think this is a better assumption than a) I have my car level. How do I even know if the springs have settled unevenly. b) I have the correct temperature. and c) I can properly judge when the stream stops.

Why weight - I think I can be more precise than measuring and eyball. Top of the meniscus or bottom. Who knows.

If the proper way to ensure AC fill is by weight, I am thinking it should work for ATF.

The proper way to set fluid level is to level vehicle, get trans up to temperature, remove drain plug and let excess drain out straw.
I have never just replaced what I drained, because at best that assumes it had the proper level to start.

My very old cars have trans fluid dipstick and with one of our newer cars, I just drained and refilled the same amount since the car was purchased new and has no leaks. Also every other fluid in that car was at the correct/perfect level from the factory so I assumed the ATF was also filled properly.

Get the OBDII reader or temp gun, hard to access check level hole, car not being level on rhino ramp, etc. ... so I skipped the check. lol

However, in general I agree. Best is to check the level.

I only trust a proper ATF level from the factory in a car with no ATF leak. This car has approx. 140K miles on it. I change the ATF every 40-50K miles. it's due in about 10-20K or so miles ... I may check the level this time. Change the ATF and take it to a shop unless I figure out how to do it correctly on a ramp.

Last edited:
I went back at your description, is your Corolla 4AT or CVT? The bare bones Corolla came with a 4AT, but the rest have a CVT.

FYI The CVT takes special fluid and Scotty's Vavoline Maxlife will not be correct.

I did a straight drain/fill on a 2015 Corolla CVT and it drove fine afterwards. Didn’t bother with the fill check, but used a graduated container to make the fill exact. Some folks disagree with that method because you don’t know if the previous fill was correct, i didn’t see any witness marks so made a safe assumption.

I went back at your description, is your Corolla 4AT or CVT? The bare bones Corolla came with a 4AT, but the rest have a CVT.

FYI The CVT takes special fluid and Scotty's Vavoline Maxlife will not be correct.

I did a straight drain/fill on a 2015 Corolla CVT and it drove fine afterwards. Didn’t bother with the fill check, but used a graduated container to make the fill exact. Some folks disagree with that method because you don’t know if the previous fill was correct, i didn’t see any witness marks so made a safe assumption.
The 2003 and up Corollas all had 4AT until 2013. From 2014 to 2016 the L trim had the 4AT.

I have a car buying service with rideshare companies often asking me for Corollas. I would steer them towards the L trim until the data at the Long-Term Quality Index showed that the CVT would be reliable.

It took a bit over five years for the data to reflect a low defect rate at high mile levels. Even now I believe CVT fluid servicing should be adhered to with the Corollas. There is no such things as a lifetime fluid in a CVT unless it has planetary gears. Even then, planetary geared transmissions aren't really CVTs. But that's a technical topic for another thread.

I want to change the 2019 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 1.8L A/T L4 - 2ZR-FE, CVT, 2WD transmission fluid. I would like to slide a tube into the fill hole (behind front wheel) and pump out fluid. Measure the fluid and put back new Toyota fluid. The fluid change has to be done at AutoZone parking lot. The temperature of the transmission fluid after a fifteen minute drive to AutoZone was 136 degrees. Will this work? Thanks
Sounds quite chancy to me. I called my Toyota dealer (I have the same engine in my 2015 S model) and they told me that the siphon won't work out of the fill plug. I find it odd that it would not work, but then again there must be a "block" in there somewhere, not allowing the tube to go down far enough.
Either way, because fluids can and do change in volume a bit when hot or cold, what I am going to do is leave the car out overnight, along with my CVT FE fluid left in the trunk. In the morning both the transmission fluid in the transmission will match ambient temperature of the CVT FE fluid in the trunk -- how profound is that? I will then drain out what will come out when I take off the drain plug, then will gently unscrew the straw and let the remaining fluid come out, which will be a lot more, equaling about 2.2 quarts in total. I will then tighten everything back up, the straw first (very gently, just tight to the touch) then replace the drain plug re-torquing it to 30 ft. lb or 41 NM. Then I will remove the fill plug behind the left front wheel (24mm hex socket) replace exactly what I took out, and a drop more for what remains on the side of the jug, then put the fill plug back on and torque it to 36 ft. lb. or 49 NM. This is how I saw it done, without all the hoopla about temperature and oil expansion/contraction. Believe me, they make it sound like rocket science, but the fact is, Toyota just does not want you to mess with it, they want the dealerships to get all the service money. BUT, for a non-sensical super jacked up price, the dealer will be happy to replace only 2.2 quarts for you and call it a complete drain and fill for just under $300 (WHAT?).

You would have to weigh atf. Can not use volume because of different temperature. Also, you are assuming it has the correct amount now which it may not. Your last few sentences are nonsense.

I will be removing it at the same temp as the fluid going in. My first drain and fill was done by Toyota with computer, so I can only assume that they did it right the first time. Therefore, this, in essence, is my second drain and fill. They only took out 2.2 quarts the first time, but they make it sound as though they took everything out and put all new in -- this is why I HATE stealerships.
Hey, thanks for your reply! I will also be using OEM AISIN FE fluid, for my transmission is FE and that's what's in it now.

Cheers.

Back