What is a good enhanced capacity filter for a 1994 Z28 LT1

From what was said earlier, the 3980 doesn't have the correct threads. Look at the thread info in the links given in posts #10 and #11.
Thankfully it's M18-1.5 threads so when he gets it, it 100% will not fit the 13/16-16 thread, not if it was M22-1.5 that might be close enough to actually screw on but blow out later.

Thanks Tman. If the one I ordered doesnt fit i'll report back and get one of the ones you just suggested instead. I don't know why GM would switch the oil filter housing on what is an otherwise identical engine in the Z28, but i've certainly seen dumber things when turning a wrench over the years.

What is the fram ultra part number equivalent to the PH5?

It wont fit, unless some swapping has taken place since the car was new

The first image is the undercarriage of a corvette with the LT1. You can see that the large cat gets close to the oil filter

The 2nd image is the undercarriage of a Camaro with the LT1. You can see the exhaust doesn't play a factor getting close to the oil filter.

The 3rd image is looking up at the oil filter adapter on a LT1 C4 corvette. You can see quite clearly they offset the filter closer to the oil pan, away from the exhaust and a smaller diameter filter is used

Look dude, I have the same car, i've had it for 16 years. I told you the filter you needed. Not sure where you got the idea to look up a filter for a corvette, but the filter you have on the way wont fit unless something was swapped along the way.

1993-chevrolet-corvette-40th-anniversary-16.jpg
1993-chevrolet-camaro-z28-indy-pace-car-4.jpg
picture_php_pictureid_67860_314caea6ca60bb258d24f34019f68e191f919a52.jpg

And as i said if it fits the LT1 vette it should fit the LT1 camaro. Nearly every part on the 2 engines are interchangeable.

Only one way to find out for sure.

It wont fit, unless some swapping has taken place since the car was new

The first image is the undercarriage of a corvette with the LT1. You can see that the large cat gets close to the oil filter

The 2nd image is the undercarriage of a Camaro with the LT1. You can see the exhaust doesn't play a factor getting close to the oil filter.

The 3rd image is looking up at the oil filter adapter on a LT1 C4 corvette. You can see quite clearly they offset the filter closer to the oil pan, away from the exhaust and a smaller diameter filter is used

Look dude, I have the same car, i've had it for 16 years. I told you the filter you needed. Not sure where you got the idea to look up a filter for a corvette, but the filter you have on the way wont fit unless something was swapped along the way.

View attachment 74719View attachment 74720View attachment 74722
You seem extremely invested in this. Relax. Its a $10 part. Either it'll fit or it won't. If it doesn't, i'll order the other filter that was suggested.

What made me decide to try the vette filter? 2 engines are the same, corvette filter is twice the capacity, and the part costs $10.

I believe the scientific term is "experimentation."

You seem extremely invested in this. Relax. Its a $10 part. Either it'll fit or it won't. If it doesn't, i'll order the other filter that was suggested.

What made me decide to try the vette filter? 2 engines are the same, corvette filter is twice the capacity, and the part costs $10.

I believe the scientific term is "experimentation."
Perhaps you're right. I did get overly invested. I just find it funny that you posted here with a question and then decided to pick the filter the majority of posters told you is wrong and wouldn't fit. I then attempted to prove to you it wouldn't fit.

Ironically, your final decision was based two things, 1) the perceived volume of the PH3980 compared to the PH30. When the PH5 filter has about 70% more volume than the PH3980. 2) thinking the LT1 in the corvette is identical to the Camaro. While they are mostly the same, many of the parts that bolt to them are different. Water pump, camshaft, starter, oil pan, oil filter adapter, and a whole host of other nuances.

Got the 3980 and didn't even have to try to screw it on, the diameter is much smaller than the PH30 style.

Perhaps you're right. I did get overly invested. I just find it funny that you posted here with a question and then decided to pick the filter the majority of posters told you is wrong and wouldn't fit. I then attempted to prove to you it wouldn't fit.

Ironically, your final decision was based two things, 1) the perceived volume of the PH3980 compared to the PH30. When the PH5 filter has about 70% more volume than the PH3980. 2) thinking the LT1 in the corvette is identical to the Camaro. While they are mostly the same, many of the parts that bolt to them are different. Water pump, camshaft, starter, oil pan, oil filter adapter, and a whole host of other nuances.
You should follow along more closely when getting invested, because I said I bought the filter in question before anyone else mentioned it at all.

Corvette and Z28/Trans am cams are the same GM part number, 10224241

Which means you're probably also wrong about several of the other things you think you know about these engines too.

In any case, many cars- even cars of completely different makers and eras, have parts interchangeability. But no one would ever know that unless people were willing to experiment.

An example: I discovered that the super expensive liquid filled motor mounts of my top of the line Porsche 928S 5 liter V8 are virtually identical to the fraction of the cost mounts from an 85-97 Ford F150, after looking at them with my naked eye and noticing the similarity.

So I said what the heck, i'll give it a try.

Lo and behold, they are nearly identical and bolted in as if they were specifically designed for the $100,000 Porsche supercar to begin with.

No more sticky liquid filled mount madness, and hundreds of dollars cheaper.

F150 mounts: $29.95 each

Porsche mounts: $473.50/pr

So am I crazy for thinking it's worth a shot to see if a Corvette of the same year with the same engine as a Z28 would have oil filter interchangeability? Maybe. Crazy is in the eye of the beholder. To me it was worth 5 minutes of my time. YMMV.

Last edited:
All Ultra filters start with XG (originally short for Xtended Guard), so it'd be XG5, although rock auto has close out Fram Pro Synthetic filters for $3.15 that are the same minus the grippy paint.
I'm ordering one of the FPS filters you linked, thanks for your help.

When you look up the oil filter for a 1994 Z28 with the 5.7L V8, it comes up with a PH30, not a PH3980. But if you look up a 1994 Corvette with the 5.7L V8 it comes up with the PH3980. So apparently Fram knows (an all other filter makers) that the engines are not exactly the same.

Yep, after looking at the 3980 it is much smaller in OD. Put it back in the box and returned it for free.

Yep, after looking at the 3980 it is much smaller in OD. Put it back in the box and returned it for free.
The thread size is also wrong, so no way it could be used regardless.

Back