What is a decent lower priced air rifle?

If on a super tight budget a daisy 880 powerline it will throw a 177 pellet 740 fps, and a bb 800 - 50 bucks buys the gun and tons of ammo.

I terrorized thousands of varmints with one as a kid.

If you have a few bucks a beeman with a plastic stock.

Last edited:
If on a super tight budget a daisy 880 powerline it will throw a 177 pellet 740 fps, and a bb 800 - 50 bucks buys the gun and tons of ammo.

I terrorized thousands of varmints with one as a kid.

If you have a few bucks a beeman with a plastic stock.

I killed a ton of stuff with one of those when I was young. A BB to the head will certainly dispatch a squirrel humanely.

Problem with slower guns is they are not nearly as accurate …
… but my Benjamin Prowler (and my Gamo) .177’s are loud …

I killed a ton of stuff with one of those when I was young. A BB to the head will certainly dispatch a squirrel humanely.
Mine cost me about 7 lawns (5 a lawn was the going rate in the early 70's) - and I got many years of fun out of it.

It was accurate enough to split or hole a blade of grass.

It never did stop working but simply vanished between moves as I got older.

I had a sheridan (now benjamin) blue streak as well - super high quality, but heavy and loud as H comparatively.

The crack barrel rigs like Beemans were the bomb - but out of my price range as a kid.

I have a couple of Crosman Pumpmaster 760's I got when I was 10 and they still work to this day

They still sell'em for around $30 bucks at Wally World and is a great little starter rifle

A good step up would be their Legacy 1000 model for $50 bucks

Like the 760, it's a variable pump that shoots both BB's and Pellets

Also comes with a cheap scope, but you'd be better off just using the sights

If you step up to a break barrel, keep in mind you'll only be shooting pellets (no BB's) and you'll be shooting at full power for every shot (not variable)

I have an old Gamo Whisper break barrel with a Maccari spring and custom tune by CDT

BTW, don't get caught up in fast ammo

Lightweight pellets that give you higher supersonic fps numbers are less accurate and can cause damage to your spring setup

Stick with pellets that give you consistent subsonic chrony numbers

I won't talk about PCP's unless you really want to up your budget

First of all I don't think shhoting squirrels makes much sense. They have a litter twice a year and there's more squirrels than you can shake a stick at. I doubt you'll make a notable dent in the local squirrel population. I also would not want to pump a lot of lead into my vegetable garden. If you really want to knock down squirrels or marmots or smallish game, a .50 cal Seneca Dragon Claw Dual Tank will do nicely. I do see two problems. The price and the fact a SWAT team will arrive shortly after a public sighting of that big bore pellet gun in your backyard.

I own a Benjamin 397S pellet rifle. I shoot Daisy flat nosed .177 pellets in it.
177.jpg

Anything over 800 FPS in .177 or .22. I went through an air rifle phase in 2016. Bought 8 rifles that I rarely shoot anymore. The best I own being a Walther Terrus in .22.

any of the Gamo’s from Walmart should do just fine. The Hatsuns on pyramid are are the best bang for your buck, used to be anyway.

just looked up the Walther terrus, it’s $169 now lol. Was in the high $200’s when I purchased mine.

I don't shoot critters with it but my Stoeger X20 didn't cost much and is accurate.

I have two that would do the job. Both are break barrel .177, and both shoot 1000 FPS...a Crossman and a Hatsan...neither were very expensive...

The problem I had when shooting a BB gun years ago was the neighbor thought I broke his window out of his house way up on the third story. He practically accused me of doing it and I hadn't shot anywhere near his window. If a neighbor sees you with a BB gun or pellet gun anytime they have a little damage on their house that looks like its from a BB gun they will cast the blame to you. I have BB gun and a couple pellet guns and do not shoot them in the neighborhood. I trap my squirrels and relocate them or shoot them in the trap then off to the dumpster. My
BB gun is a daisy and the pellet guns are are Beeman and Crossman both break barrel guns with lots of power.

I have a NIB, never fired, Benjamin .177 caliber rifle with the Monte Carlo type synthetic stock (397-S). I have been trying to sell it locally for $100. People are calling me and are offering $50, sometimes $75. It sells for $180-$220.
I 'm sure NOT going to give it away for those offers. :rolleyes:

I have a NIB, never fired, Benjamin .177 caliber rifle with the Monte Carlo type synthetic stock (397-S). I have been trying to sell it locally for $100. People are calling me and are offering $50, sometimes $75. It sells for $180-$220.
I 'm sure NOT going to give it away for those offers. :rolleyes:
This surprises me in today's buy anything at any price economy...

Back