What is a decent lower priced air rifle?

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
I am looking for a pellet or pellet/BB air rifle. I want to take out some nusiance squirrels. I don't want to spend a lot of money as this is just utilitarian and not competetive shooting. Any recommendations?

If you actually want to kill a squirrel you probably want something with a break barrel. I have one of the Crossman 760 pumps and it will kill one but not with any certainty

I got a ton of use out of a Crossman pump as a kid before it finally stopped building pressure. I'm not sure how early 90s versions compare to the ones they make today.

I assume there is a reason (local regulations?) you're not looking at a .22.

Don't want to shoot up or in a straight line with a 22 in my area. I only use the 22 when shooting down at a rabid animal.

I have a Diana Panther break barrel. I've taken out a squirrel at 50yds with it. Surprise me. But mainly used it to keep the birds from our blueberry bushes. Dang mocking birds can eat some berries.

Odds are good you might unintentionally wound the squirrel with a BB or pellet gun and it will scamper away and possibly die a long protracted death. If your local laws won’t allow a small rimfire rifle then you might consider a small trap from Lowe’s and relocate them. I have relocated many small animals with mine.

None of the pump up air guns with the exception of the Benjamin .22 will kill a squirrel without a lucky head shot and closer than 10 yds. You really need a .22 cal pellet gun in a break barrel like the Ruger Impact Elite. The 22 does not shoot as flat as the 177 but it hits harder and wont just punch a tiny hole in them. I am not sure what constitutes an inexpensive air gun for you. This one is $159 which I would consider cheap for a gun. They go much higher for the German made guns. The biggest drawback to spring piston guns is a real learning curve. They recoil before the pellet gets out of the barrel and they recoil backwards compared to a firearm. This means you really need to practice and be consistent with your hold. Change the position of your front hand and the POI changes too. The plus side is they are quieter than pump guns and a good one will last several lifetimes.
The easiest and cheapest alternative with the least technical ability or recoil is the Benjamin 22 pump. It wont be in Walmart, they are very difficult to scope so iron sights are the norm and will still run $150+

samven - great advice....and coincidentally I have both a Benjamin .22 and a Crosman break barrel .177. I prefer the break barrel with a scope for taking out critters. I have killed a few squirrels with the break barrel but not immediately, they seem to run a bit before dropping. With my scope dialed in it is very accurate. You need to use the 'artillery hold' (?)... hold it very loosely when you shoot to let it recoil.

CCI makes a .22 load that fires at about 750 feet per second. It is no louder than a hand clap. When the bullet strikes its target, it fragments into three pieces. It is LETHAL. I have taken out three rabbits in the yard over the past two ears that were eating my newly planted flowers. Shot from about 25 yards away. Each rabbit managed to go about ten feet before expiring. I live in a suburban development with houses around me and no one ever heard me shoot. Perfect for what you want to do.

CCI makes a .22 load that fires at about 750 feet per second. It is no louder than a hand clap. When the bullet strikes its target, it fragments into three pieces. It is LETHAL. I have taken out three rabbits in the yard over the past two ears that were eating my newly planted flowers. Shot from about 25 yards away. Each rabbit managed to go about ten feet before expiring. I live in a suburban development with houses around me and no one ever heard me shoot. Perfect for what you want to do.
The Remington C-Bee round if you can find it may be another good choice.

I am looking for a pellet or pellet/BB air rifle. I want to take out some nusiance squirrels. I don't want to spend a lot of money as this is just utilitarian and not competetive shooting. Any recommendations?
What is the nuisance they are doing?

Just guessing if you put up bird feeder all kinds of rodents will come by.
We stopped doing that and no more dozens of reds and greys and no munks either.

I say leave them alone. Don't be a BAD HUMAN.

O.K. Now LAY in to me .... :)

Last edited:

I'd be curious to know the name of these. I have CCI quiet .22's that are 710fps, but have a normal 40gr bullet. They don't make much noise, and are MUCH stronger than any pellet gun I've used, but there is a real ricochet risk off even moderately hard ground. I won't shoot them in my yard any more even though they are as quiet as a pellet gun.

Name is CCI Quiet 22 Segmented HP (Hollow Point). And the listed velocity at the muzzle is 710 fps, not the 750 I originally posted. I keep about five 50-round boxes of these around. Right now, they may be very hard to get.

Get one of those giant sticky traps for squirrels. After you catch the squirrel, you can take it somewhere and pour a little cooking oil on it. It will work itself loose and run away.

I've used a Gamo .177 crack barrel to drop squirrels reliably at 10 yards .

Get one of those giant sticky traps for squirrels. After you catch the squirrel, you can take it somewhere and pour a little cooking oil on it. It will work itself loose and run away.
NO STICKIES ! I would prefer this:
downloadhah.jpg

Just don t set it where there is Sun

Back