What happens to old pallets?

Back in my blue-collar days, Quikrete used to charge something like $10 or $20 a pallet to make sure they got them back.

My dad was career Coast Guard and we relocated every couple years. Every time we moved, my brother and I would build a treehouse using the leftover pallet wood, and various other materials we scavenged.

I used to go to a small pallet manufacturing facility and go through their scrap pile for firewood . It was all untreated Oak pieces and made excellent firewood . The EPA finally caught up to them and made them put in an incinerator instead of openly burning the scraps . It was good while it lasted .

I ordered some heavy stuff and it was delivered on a new-ish pine pallet. It seemed like a waste burning it or paying the county to throw it away as demolition waste. It took awhile but I made it into a piano bench.

Attachments

• IMG_0132(1).jpg
    IMG_0132(1).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 23
Central Ohio is distribution and warehouse central because we are within a days drive to 2/3’s iof the U.S. population. Pallets are ground up, colored and made into mulch here. If you want such mulch, gas station mulch is where to find it.

We stack our damages up and a guy with a pickup and gooseneck comes and gets them a gooseneck load at a time. He charges us a fee to repair them which is per pallet I believe and brings a trailer load back. It’s cheaper per pallet to repair them vs buy more. One department has transitioned largely to plastic pallets that are leased and just move from location. Most customers dictate pallet size, type and material. Very little waste comes out of our location. Most of the time it’s an odd pallet board that gets tossed into the dumpster.

We get dump truck loads ,trailer loads you name it at my work.We bust them up and push them into the demo pile ,into the trailer and off to the landfill they go with the 35 tons of other trash.

used to be folks would pick them up the 48x 40 and resell them to warehouses that needed them. i remember them $3-$5 per pallet . the blue ones though no one wants as they are leased pallets and can't be resold.

there use to be a place that recycled them also. they had this machine that you throw a pallet on it, 2 plates would rip the top and bottom boards off leaving the center . then they used the centers to make new pallets .

When I worked in a supermarket they would steal the pallets and compacted bales of cardboard at night.

Everything has value….

At work we throw them in the dumpster. Not allowed to take them home or do anything with them. Personally I’d use them to sit stuff on at home. Maybe burn them but I’d hate to waste a perfectly good pallet.

If they aren't treated they probably can be grind up and made into something like sawdust if they know there's no spill or chemicals on it. Or firewood. Transportation cost and labor to pull all the nails out is the killer.

Yep, several of those facilities here in the Milwaukee area.
Yep, there's a couple here in the small town next to me. One of them caught fire a fair few years ago......talk about a HOT and BIG fire.

Fire department didn't even try to do anything other than protect the buildings and houses that were around it. As I recall, they were largely successful in limiting the damage to just the facility.

They don't take the blue-painted Chinese pallets though. Admittedly those are built differently and look like they'd be harder to recycle. Or maybe you're not supposed to burn them. Either way, they won't touch them, not sure what we do with them here at work.

Back