What happened to Valvoline NextGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with NextGen was that it was priced as a PREMIUM product when in fact it was NOT. It is actually cheaper for Valvoline to recycle and produce new usable product, so it should have been CHEAPER than the regular white bottle standard Valvoline product, you see you can't fool the customer that is technically/mechanically savvy, but Valvoline tried and failed.

Last edited:
Unrelated, but Valvoline: Have seen Maxlife Full Synthetic at more locations.

They make the jug look a very Mobil 1 jug color. Clever.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
NextGen was a superior product, but far too many people thought it was inferior and therefor should be cheaper.

Superior to what ?

NextGen 5W-30 gave me horrible oil consumption. I wouldn't say it was superior to anything. I just need to "burn" through another 12 quarts and I'll never use it again.

If it was recycled, for the sake of making a sale, it should have been cheaper. If they can refine the oil, price it lower than VWB and still make money, it would have been a win win for everybody.

I do hold it as being as good as VWB and would use it interchangeably.

My local WM still has the stuff on the top shelf. The green bottles are looking pretty sad though.

Last edited:
Valvoline missed the boat on this product...im with these guys, price it correctly and they may have had something...Im sure they had good intentions with the idea but still priced all wrong..

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The problem with NextGen was that it was priced as a PREMIUM product when in fact it was NOT. It is actually cheaper for Valvoline to recycle and produce new usable product, so it should have been CHEAPER than the regular white bottle standard Valvoline product, you see you can't fool the customer that is technically/mechanically savvy, but Valvoline tried and failed.

Yup. Same here.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
New Coke is akin NextGen.. in the oil world.

Until someone mandates the use of some percentage of recycled basestocks aka the high fructose corn syrup gets snuck in.
wink.gif

As for $10 a quart at Sears, well, a failed retailer selling a failed product....

NextGen was a marketing failure but was a perfectly good oil.
I posted the cleanest UOA from a BMW I've ever seen after 4K in two months using NextGen Maxlife 10W-40 in my old BMW.
That was in August 2012, if anyone cares to look. I'm too lazy to find it and link to it.
NextGen was as good as any other oil. It just failed to find a market. Once the FAR extravaganza ended, the product just didn't sell.
I've still got some FAR NextGen in the stash.
I'll obviously use it in something.
WRT used oil content in commercial basestocks, who knows?
Blenders buy basestock from a variety of sources and it need only meet certain specific specs.
Valvoline buys all of the basestock it uses as do a number of other blenders and most blenders who produce basestock both buy and sell it as well.
There may well be recracked drain oil in any number of name brand oils and we'd never know it, although the blenders might well suspect it and not really want to know.

The ECO POWER earlye mentioned my fleet at work uses. We aren't. Government fleet either. About 2 months prior; we used regular MaxLife in everything without issue

I've been using NextGen in my Fusion for over a year, and I've been pretty pleased with it. As far as I can tell, it's a clean, light-colored oil which has resulted in good UOAs for me. Also, even though PQIA gave it a high NOACK value, I've never had to add any top off on my engine when using it, and this is on 7,500 mile OCIs.

They just screwed up with their pricing. I'll buy more if I can get good prices on it.

I had the bed of my ranger stuffed with it at one point for 20 cents a qt. only time I purchased it, it was everything AAP had, from 5w20 to 40 grades.
Used it up just fine between the Ranger, dads Saturn, and moms Equinox.
Never paid full price, I'm sure if I went home to florida there would still be clearanced sub 25 cent qts of oil hanging around.
For awhile there, everyday it seemed like I was buying Peak Synthetic, Vavoline NextGen (and Maxlife Nextgen) as well as FAR GOil.

Man do I miss those days

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I think Valvoline just thought the PRIUS driving gluten free eating hippy dippy types would buy this in droves regardless of price because of the "environmental" angle.

When it comes down to it, the hippy dippy types are cheap charlies anyways like the rest of us and are not going to pay market prices for a recycled product.

That being said, I picked up a metric [censored] ton of the stuff on FAR's when it first came out. It was OK and would have bought more if priced right for what it was.

They should have advertised it strongly at valvoline oil change shops cause not very many yuppie type mother earth worshiping hippie folks actually change their own oil

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Wrong as usual. It cost the about the same to re-refine oil as it does to refine oil. There was no cost savings to procure re-refined products on Ashland's end. The re-refined oil had to be collected, hydrocracked, and blended just like virgin crude.

I actually saw a five quart 5w-30 at WM a couple weeks ago. It was sitting in the hardware section behind some drain cleaner in the back just praying for someone to buy it. I knew they clearance it out and was excited to buy it. Took it to the price checker and it said "see sales associate." Took it to the hardware guy and he had to add it back to file. Full price (I think $15.88) or whatever it was when it came out. Asked to see if he would lower it and told him it was no longer carried. Said no, didn't press it. It's probably hiding somewhere else in that WM. Anyway, I was GONNA try it.

I saw nextgen on a pepboys shelf earlier this year. Will probably continue to sit there due to their ridiculously high prices (Does anybody shop their anymore?). I used it back in 2012 when valvolne had good rebates on it from oreilly.

FWIW. My walmart still has two 5qt jugs of G Oil 5w-30 for $21 each. I would have bought them 4 years ago but they are not API certified. Im not joking, they have been on the shelf for 4 years, same clearance sticker dated from 2012....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back