What happened to the bargain hot rods?

It’s come full circle. Just spend an hour on YouTube watching all the street racers with their XL trim short bed 4x4 F150s with a 5.0 and supercharger!

While the HP seems acceptable the power to weight is not really that good and that shows up in the 1/4 mile trap speeds of the "bargain" pony cars today (about 100MPH) . The fact is the older V8's really responded to hot rodding. It was common and easy to modify to the 400HP level in a 2500 pound car.

Modern tires, 10 speed automatic transmissions and 6/7 speed manuals do a lot to make numbers look good on modern vehicles too. But take a ride an a hot rod '60's Mustang with a great engine, and the difference in response and "pull" is impossible to ignore, 3 speeds or not.
I really doubt you can mod an ‘87 305 that would make it quicker than a new V6 Camaro.

Here are the performance numbers for the Grand National, so let’s say a “ hot rod” can do 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. The Ford Mustang 2.3 eco boost does it in 4.5 seconds. Behold your bargain hot rod.

82800F81-9C8C-40A8-A23A-C0124A2E5E83.jpg

16E8E1E4-FB01-4B20-BA21-6CD47708C6DF.jpg

Last edited:
Remember when you could buy a stripped version of a Mustang, Camaro, or even a turbo Regal with all of the go fast goodies? I had an '87 T-Type that was every bit as quick as a Grand National, but it cost much less because it didn't have all the options of the GN. GM did this with the LT1 version of the Camaro, but it isn't as discounted on the price as one might think it should be, and none of the other muscle cars are available in a low cost version. They need to bring these cars back. Why do they all have to be loaded with options? Gimme a bare bones muscle car any day of the week...Who wants to spend $40K-$50K or more on a hot rod?
It also sounds like electronics are making it difficult. Not sure if all of the new generation of Mustang is affected but and article that I stumbled upon mentioned that the new 800hp gtd mustang uses a multi-authentication encryption which makes it sound like you couldn't swap a manual transmission into it if you wanted to as it's looking for certain things like dct and so on.

nowadays the cheapest hot rods is to LS swap a 80,s Gbody
Or a mondter miata with the V8. Unfortunately the company dropped the V8 swap because they said it was becoming a gray line with emissions regulations and "tampering ".

Or the new M3P which is a 10 second car; 2.9 0-60.
Runs on gasoline and looks/sounds a whole lot better.
Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170 reaches 60 miles per hour (mph) in a blazing 1.66 seconds and features the highest g-force acceleration of any production car at 2.004 gs. The Demon 170 can also reach 900 horsepower and 810
Challenger SRT Demon 170 is the first factory production car to run the quarter mile under 9 seconds with a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)-certified 8.91-second ET at 151.17 mph. On the drag strip, the Challenger SRT Demon 170 receives an NHRA violation letter for running a sub-nine-second quarter-mile without a safety cage or parachute

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Runs on gasoline and looks/sounds a whole lot better.
Wrong again. Requires E85 fuel, 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol to make that power.
This thread is about bargain hot rods, not factory racers.
The Demon is a factory racer; engineered for drag racing. Lousy street car. Do they even still make them? Have you ever seen one?

Oh yeah, the Plaid is faster and cheaper. The Plaid is able to get a great start, launching away and leaving the Demon in the dust.
Modified Plaids have run 8.7 in the quarter, basically shredding 500 pounds of weight.

Better luck next time. There is no car that offers the Ludicrous' level of performance anywhere near the money.

Last edited:
I remember in the late 80s a lot of the big high volume Ford dealers were advertising bare bones 5.0 Mustang LX coupes for around $12,000. Things sure have changed a lot since then! I know I can't really consider my Corvette a bargain basement performance car, but when I compare it to other high performance cars it really was a bargain. I paid $63,000 Canadian for it new, and I factory ordered it and optioned it in a way that made it considerably cheaper than what most dealers had on their lots. I just wanted the most basic 1LT trim to keep the price and the weight down compared to other C7s.

They
Wrong again. Requires E85 fuel, 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol to make that power.
This thread is about bargain hot rods, not factory racers.
The Demon is a factory racer; engineered for drag racing. Lousy street car. Do they even still make them? Have you ever seen one?

Oh yeah, the Plaid is faster and cheaper. The Plaid is able to get a great start, launching away and leaving the Demon in the dust.
Modified Plaids have run 8.7 in the quarter, basically shredding 500 pounds of weight.

Better luck next time. There is no car that offers the Ludicrous' level of performance anywhere near the money.
Here it is called E85 and sold at some gas stations, the point is it can be charged up in 5 min or less. That tesla you recommend is no cheap hot rod, it doesnt even look the part. The Demon is a street legal car, the cars you talk about have all been modified in some way also and yes the dealer down the street had a Demon.
Just for your entertainment a plaid being spanked by a Demon. I can cherry pick the info too, so better luck next time. LOL

They

Here it is called E85 and sold at some gas stations, the point is it can be charged up in 5 min or less. That tesla you recommend is no cheap hot rod, it doesnt even look the part. The Demon is a street legal car, the cars you talk about have all been modified in some way also and yes the dealer down the street had a Demon.
Just for your entertainment a plaid being spanked by a Demon. I can cherry pick the info too, so better luck next time. LOL

Part of the fun of a high performance car is the engine noise.

They

Wrong again. The Demon was discontinued after 2023. Weren't they like $110K or more? Hardly a budget performance car. By the way, to get the Demon's ultra low times requires a pro driver; it is a race car. How many people even know what a trans brake is, much less how to drive one. Road and Track driver got far slower times, comparable the new M3P.

To get anywhere the Demon's best times you need a track and burnouts. Hope you don't spin... Plus takes the seats out. Otherwise it gets killed by the Plaid.

My Tesla gets charged in the garage overnight for next to nothing. I hear some people can't stand gassing up so much that they send their wives to do it. The Demon gets like 13 mpg and has a range of about 240 miles. Our 2018 Model 3 beats that by a bunch.

The 170 is probably the fastest accelerating gas car ever offered in America. It's a factory race car.

Last edited:
The Demon uses 100 - 105 octane for knock resistance; it is much cheaper than race gas, and easier to find.
No doubt the Demon 170 is very very fast. You could order one without seats, at least before Dodge stopped making them.

Here's one against the Lucid Sapphire. The Sapphire even gives the Demon a head start in race #2.
On a better day with a better driver the Demon would give the Lucid a better race.

Last edited:
Every modern car is a hot rod! Every modern car sold in the US is a muscle car. Every car is a luxury car now.
Exactly. Selling an inexpensive hot rod is difficult when many family sedans go 0-60 in under 6 sec, go at least 140 mph based on what I see on I-280, and when they all have butt warmers and some have a heartbeat kidnapping sensor (Volvo). Stripped performance will cost you extra because of low demand.

Last edited:
Something to be said for instant torque and electric motors. I am not averse to electric cars except for range issues. I wouldn't buy a Tesla because I dislike Elon Musk. All the financial gurus on Fox Business and Bloomberg are anticipating a huge amount of discounting in the future for Teslas as they have a huge backlog sitting around. Seems the Chinese are building a better mousetrap for a quarter of the price and available everywhere except N. America.

Wrong again. The Demon was discontinued after 2023. Weren't they like $110K or more? Hardly a budget performance car. By the way, to get the Demon's ultra low times requires a pro driver; it is a race car. How many people even know what a trans brake is, much less how to drive one. Road and Track driver got far slower times, comparable the new M3P.

To get anywhere the Demon's best times you need a track and burnouts. Hope you don't spin... Plus takes the seats out. Otherwise it gets killed by the Plaid.

My Tesla gets charged in the garage overnight for next to nothing. I hear some people can't stand gassing up so much that they send their wives to do it. The Demon gets like 13 mpg and has a range of about 240 miles. Our 2018 Model 3 beats that by a bunch.

The 170 is probably the fastest accelerating gas car ever offered in America. It's a factory race car.

Whats with this wrong again crap? I said..
yes the dealer down the street had a Demon
AFAIK has and had are two different things. The point is simple you can modify almost any car to be faster on the drag strip. This "oh it was built for the drag strip" is crap, it could be legally bought and on the road right out of the box. Enough already, you are getting carried away with this Tesla and ev stuff. When the Demon was introduced it was the same price or less than a plaid before elmo dropped the price.

Whats with this wrong again crap? I said..

AFAIK has and had are two different things. The point is simple you can modify almost any car to be faster on the drag strip. This "oh it was built for the drag strip" is crap, it could be legally bought and on the road right out of the box. Enough already, you are getting carried away with this Tesla and ev stuff. When the Demon was introduced it was the same price or less than a plaid before elmo dropped the price.
I meant you cannot buy a new one. The Demon 170 has been discontinued. They don't make them anymore. Of course there are used or perhaps even unsold prior year cars. Apologies for the misunderstanding; my mistake. I should have been more clear.

The Demon was a factory built street legal race car. Does a street car need a trans lock? Can you generally order a car without a passenger seat or back seat?
Dodge built the Demon to be an incredible factory performance car and they succeeded.

Last edited:
Back