Got a project car, 1987 Regal Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Regals are also beautiful in all white. Did they ever come with t-tops or what that only on the turbo models (t-type/GN)?

That bodystyle imo is an automotive work of art.

I looked at the pics again. Yours does not have the cross bracing behind the rear seat. That will help a ton, as will the rear frame bracing. You can also add the F41 suspension bits -- the 1.25" front stabilizer bar and the rear stabilizer bar. No bushings or links needed for the rear bar -- it just bolts to the lower control arms (though there are inserts for the bars, to keep them from crushing when you tighten the bolts). It also doesn't have the G80 RPO code, which means it doesn't have posi-traction. You may be able to find a posi rear axle out of a wreckers from a similar year. I had a Grand Prix posi axle in my '84 Cutlass -- 2.29:1 was the ratio (it went with my 3-speed).

That 307 should have enough torque to easily peel a tire. I owned two of them, and both were much stronger than their 140 hp official rating would have you believe. They'd be outrun by most 4-cylinder sedans today, sure, but no sedan today has the class those G-bodies had (and still have).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Those Regals are also beautiful in all white. Did they ever come with t-tops or what that only on the turbo models (t-type/GN)?

Yes, you could get them with T-tops. My '84 Cutlass was white with T-tops, and a red velour interior. It was a beautiful car.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
No sedan today has the class those G-bodies had (and still have).

I loved my '81 Pontiac Grand Prix when I was 18, but there's no way I would want that car in place of new Mazda 6 today. Not even close.

BC.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Thanks for the bits and pieces of information.

The way it looks now, I find it ugly. All of that chrome and that vinyl top, ehhh. I will probably keep it looking the way it does for a couple years and concentrate on making it handle well and perform. Nothing better than getting dragged by a clapped out looking Regal.

Some of you mentioned on picking up a GN or T-Type and doing this. Even with a blown engine, those rollers are still bringing a pretty penny. Also, yo have to consider my location. To find a relatively clean G-body, let alone a Regal, as close as it was to me... done deal. I could care less about re-sale value. I look to make things for myself and not the prospective value at the end.

I like LS. Iron block is the way to go when wanting to pump large amounts of boost. Smaller package too when compared to a big block.

How about a 442ci engine that will make 500HP with a Qjet and handle any boost you throw at it?

I love this car. Find yourself a nice used truck drivetrain.
6.0/4l80. A little turbo action and you will be good to go!

I own a 1987 Buick Grand National. Got it new and love it. Long live the G-bodies!

Awesome pick up... these cars are very popular with rural carriers at USPS... seat works great for driving from the right side...
Amazing with no rust!! Car will look better with serious wheels and tires... I removed vinyl on my cutlass... looked great after...

It would be a shame to hack up such a nice, low mileage original car. The only thing I would do is a nicer set of wheels. If it needs painted ditch the vinyl top. If not, I would just remove the body side moldings and be done with it.

Maybe the pictures make this thing look pristine. It's in excellent shape, but paint needs some help, vinyl top is cracked, and the interior has tons of chrome peel. Frame and underside are gorgeous.

A lot of you stress keeping it the way it is. Ehhh, it's slow, barely can get out of it's own way. Uncomfortable seats. Ugly.

The TT LS and new interior will be welcomed improvements.

Needs a 403 Olds and redone stock interior!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back