What happened to cheap wiper blades?

Originally Posted by GZRider
@ Dave9 - Cool story about a product you've never tried D$#%@!, but you're full of s#%. The PIAA's are a favorite of rally cross drivers because they are made from a type of platinum cured silicone, which is much stronger then traditional rubber as well as being more resistant to UV exposure and oxidation. The material is also stronger (hence why aftermarket high pressure radiator hoses use it) and thus resists tearing from branches and other debris or say from them being caught in ice. I used them for years in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest and never bought another set of wipers on those cars, they are worth every penny.

then why are the reviews on Amazon so hit and miss?

Costco has their Michelin hybrid wipers on sale next week for $6 each, normally $9. Walmart has the basic wiper blades for $4 each in the supertech brand.

Rockauto has the cheap blades for my wife's Santa Fe for less than $2.00 for each side. But shipping is $8.00 a piece. It looks like they come from different warehouses. If I could of got both shipped for $8.00 bucks I would have bought them.

I've never ripped a set of wiper blades in the winter.. am I doing it wrong?

My company Tenneco purchased Federal Mogul late last year. Last week the Anco group was sold to Trico. There is some mixing and matching going on but there will be a "new" Federal Mogul soon called DRIV. It will be primarily what our company terms as the ride control group which includes Monroe and Rancho brand shocks. The OE Rancho's are a white Monroe with red graphics. Aftermarket are different but defintely not your 80's Rancho's.

Originally Posted by Rand
I've never ripped a set of wiper blades in the winter.. am I doing it wrong?

You must be. I must be also as I've never ripped a set either. Which do you think is harder; single digit icicles or rubber wiper blades? (The question is intended to be rhetorical...)

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by GZRider
@ Dave9 - Cool story about a product you've never tried D$#%@!, but you're full of s#%. The PIAA's are a favorite of rally cross drivers because they are made from a type of platinum cured silicone, which is much stronger then traditional rubber as well as being more resistant to UV exposure and oxidation. The material is also stronger (hence why aftermarket high pressure radiator hoses use it) and thus resists tearing from branches and other debris or say from them being caught in ice. I used them for years in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest and never bought another set of wipers on those cars, they are worth every penny.

then why are the reviews on Amazon so hit and miss?

The answer to your question is because the world is full of stupid people. I have 6 year old PIAA wipers and agree with GZRider; they are worth every penny. My vehicles are garaged and I've never been dumb enough to try to turn frozen wipers on. Do you try to run your engine WOT and merge into Los Angeles, Chicago, or New Orleans freeway traffic before it has reached equilibrium temperature?

I try not to skimp on blades.
It's a safety issue. Clear vision is even more important when the weather
is bad and roads are slick.
I use Valeo blades on my Tundra.
About $15 ea. Last about a year.
Worth it.
Same applies to tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
I've gotten used to using standard Anco (universal) style blades and prefer to use their refill inserts where I can find them. I haven't had bad results with other blades (like the Goodyear branded ones sold at Costco) but they didn't seem to work any better. Even Pylon refills worked pretty well for me. I used to find the standard Anco blades at WM, although eventually they seemed to switch to a SuperTech equivalent that had no branding on the hardware but seemed to be otherwise made by Federal Mogul (Anco) with a package that indicated that. I think WM later switched to a Chinese supplier before they stopped carrying them.

Now all I can seem to find are pricey blades at $13-25 each and I haven't seen a universal refill at any discount store or auto parts place in a while. Some parts stores can order universal Ancos, but not at a good price. The one place that seems to have them is RockAuto at about $2 a pair for the plastic-frame refill inserts. I use pliers to remove the metal clip and then put them into the blade frame.

I bought Anco's for four decades. Then something happened with their quality control.
For the past 10 years I've been purchasing Trico. So far a perfect marriage.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Do you try to run your engine WOT and merge into Los Angeles, Chicago, or New Orleans freeway traffic before it has reached equilibrium temperature?

Just to answer you question, I don't do full WOT as people rarely do, but I'll get into it as the highways are just a minute or to from home and I merge at full speed so yeah, car easily sees 4k or more when it's stone cold. Did that for years, still got over 200k out of a car. While WOT on a cold engine might result in more wear, it's usually something else with the car like transmission, rust or some other system that causes people to get rid of them so the bad effects of WOT is probably minimal.

I keep my vehicles for about 15 years. I live in SoCal so the sun kills wipers more than anything. I have tried the PIAA wipers, good for about two years, Anco's, good for a year.
I buy several sets at a time from Rock, with shipping I am paying $2.91 each. So $12 for two years of Ancos or $ 42 for PIAA.

Originally Posted by Mitch
I keep my vehicles for about 15 years. I live in SoCal so the sun kills wipers more than anything. I have tried the PIAA wipers, good for about two years, Anco's, good for a year.
I buy several sets at a time from Rock, with shipping I am paying $2.91 each. So $12 for two years of Ancos or $ 42 for PIAA.

I was looking to buy a set of the full blades, but they come from a different location than the refills. Maybe a RockAuto order later since the remote shell I need is from that location.

Anyone remember the Anco commercial with Laurel and Hardy themes?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
People, urbanites have bought into the "hype" of beam/aerodynamic wipers, and making them one piece prevents refills, stupid marketing.

If you call spending $25 every 3 yrs for blades "hype" vs $10/yr for el cheopos then so be it.

I can only wish blades lasted three years around here. I get about a years worth no matter brand or cost.

I've always got real good life from the wiper blades that came on our new Ford vehicles, much better than the expensive Bosch ones I replaced them with. My wife's 2017 Explorer is 2 years old and the wipers were not "perfect" for her, fine for me though
grin2.gif
. After pricing out other wipers blades I decided to order Motorcraft replacement blades, since they last at least 2+ years, ~$11/ea from Rock Auto. The dealer wanted ~$19/ea, same blades. Bosch blades seemed to be much more expensive. I cleaned the windshield well and used an alcohol swab on the new blade. They work great and I expect at least another 2 years from these new blades.

Whimsey

Back