What filters do you diesel owners use?

I have used Royal Purple oil filters on my LLY Duramax for years but can’t seem to find them anymore. I’ll probably switch to NAPA Platinum filters.

For those of you spending ~$2,500 a year on filters and or coolant to maintain trucks or equipment, you're eligible for discounted pricing on Fleetguard...just a heads up. You can message me for more details.

If you have a Cummins engine, there's really no reason to be using anything other than Fleetguard since we are the OE for Cummins and have been since Fleetguard was started by Cummins back in the 50's!
I usually find em on Fleetguard on Ebay and Amazon. there are plenty of reasons to not use Fleetguard, that usually revolve around money. :)

.. Mopar filters are reboxed Fleetguard.. its amazing the price differential between the two, depending on how much you shop around.

I usually find em on Fleetguard on Ebay and Amazon. there are plenty of reasons to not use Fleetguard, that usually revolve around money. :)

.. Mopar filters are reboxed Fleetguard.. its amazing the price differential between the two, depending on how much you shop around.
Totally get that...the convenience of shopping online is part of life now. Only caution I have there is that counterfeit products are rampant with online retailers. I helped one guy out on here a few months back who had purchased some Fleetguard lube filters for a Detroit engine and they were fakes.

Hey, never know who's on here. For anyone maintaining a fleet of trucks or equipment, $2,500 is chump change...just saying!
That is true! I was just ribbing a little since a lot of us on BITOG are just regular joe/jane schmoes, like me, & could never maintain that level of discount cost. The shameless sell post just had me laughing at my computer that day & couldn't resist to poke some fun.
I'm sure you have helped folks save money by doing so.

While I have your attention do you happen to have a cross over for Wix coolant filter 24070? Trying to find a cheaper one. Wix getting expensive.

That is true! I was just ribbing a little since a lot of us on BITOG are just regular joe/jane schmoes, like me, & could never maintain that level of discount cost. The shameless sell post just had me laughing at my computer that day & couldn't resist to poke some fun.
I'm sure you have helped folks save money by doing so.

While I have your attention do you happen to have a cross over for Wix coolant filter 24070? Trying to find a cheaper one. Wix getting expensive.
All good!

Looks like we do have a valid cross...WF2077. That's a cellulose, non-chemical water filter rated for 1,500 hours or 75,000 miles. If you're looking online, I believe you can order directly from shop.cummins.com if you'd like to take a look there.

Here's our coolants & chemicals product brochure too: https://cms.fleetguard.com/en_NA/literature/coolant-products/lt15108

All good!

Looks like we do have a valid cross...WF2077. That's a cellulose, non-chemical water filter rated for 1,500 hours or 75,000 miles. If you're looking online, I believe you can order directly from shop.cummins.com if you'd like to take a look there.

Here's our coolants & chemicals product brochure too: https://cms.fleetguard.com/en_NA/literature/coolant-products/lt15108
Thanks! Found it through your link. To be honest the site is quite hard to find out also what oil filter fits my 6.0L Diesel. That is unless you just make filters for Cummins engines.

Thanks! Found it through your link. To be honest the site is quite hard to find out also what oil filter fits my 6.0L Diesel. That is unless you just make filters for Cummins engines.
I wouldn't disagree. It's kind of complicated with as many parts and applications as we support though. A cross-reference is always the best starting place. We do have a free mobile app that (in my opinion) works better than our desktop site. I'm always glad to hunt down a part number for anyone though if you want to feed those to me.

I wouldn't disagree. It's kind of complicated with as many parts and applications as we support though. A cross-reference is always the best starting place. We do have a free mobile app that (in my opinion) works better than our desktop site. I'm always glad to hunt down a part number for anyone though if you want to feed those to me.
FL-2016 is the OEM Motorcraft oil filter. But I'll only run a good quality efficient filter 99%@20 microns rating.

FL-2016 is the OEM Motorcraft oil filter. But I'll only run a good quality efficient filter 99%@20 microns rating.
Fleetguard LF16166 is what I'm seeing on the cross reference. Looks like we purchase finish this one so I'm not seeing much in the way of performance data, but usually that means we're buying it from the OEM.

The Cummins ISC 8.3 in my motorhome is my first experience with diesel engines. I did a lot of research, looking at efficiency ratings for all the more well known filter brands. Based upon this, here are my choices:

For oil, first choice is Donaldson Blue, second is Fleetguard, third is Donaldson, fourth Napa Gold

Fuel, Donaldson first, Fleetguard second, Napa 3rd.

The Cummins generator got all Fleetguard.

I know the Dondalson Blue was a little more pricey, but not terrible compared to the Fleetguard. What surprised me is how expensive the Napa filters are. Only way I'll buy them is on the semi-annual Farm Days sale.

Fleetguard LF16166 is what I'm seeing on the cross reference. Looks like we purchase finish this one so I'm not seeing much in the way of performance data, but usually that means we're buying it from the OEM.
Did some digging, with info from your post, & things have not changed much in the last decade then. Fleetguard has sourced the same filter for the last decade. My speculation is they are simply made by Champ Labs. Thanks for the information!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1236854-motorcraft-racor-and-fleetguard-with-pictures.html

The Cummins ISC 8.3 in my motorhome is my first experience with diesel engines. I did a lot of research, looking at efficiency ratings for all the more well known filter brands. Based upon this, here are my choices:

For oil, first choice is Donaldson Blue, second is Fleetguard, third is Donaldson, fourth Napa Gold

Fuel, Donaldson first, Fleetguard second, Napa 3rd.

The Cummins generator got all Fleetguard.

I know the Dondalson Blue was a little more pricey, but not terrible compared to the Fleetguard. What surprised me is how expensive the Napa filters are. Only way I'll buy them is on the semi-annual Farm Days sale.
Napa is generally trash compared to Fleetguard or the blue guys. For lube filters, D'son is fine, but you really may want to be using Fleetguard for the fuel system. What year is that engine? What part numbers if you don't mind me asking?

If I may ask, why do you feel the Fleetguard is a better choice for the fuel filters?

According to what is listed on Donaldson and Fleetguard websites for the fuel/water separator, the Fleetguard FS1022 is rated at 98.7% @ 10 micron and the Donaldson P551122 is almost identical at 99% @ 10 micron. Both are rated at 95% emulsified h2O efficiency. So it seems that for the fuel/water separator, they should be pretty close to equivalent.

The fuel filter ratings are, Fleetguard FS1212 96% @ 20 micron and Donaldson FS558000 99% @ 15 micron. Again, both are 95% emulsified h2O. So I felt the Donaldson was a better choice for the fuel filter. Is there some other factor that I'm missing?

I'm curious, any opinion on large metal housing style air filters? It currently has a Napa Gold (Wix) that the previous owner had installed. I have found part numbers for Purolator, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin, and Wix equivalent filters. I'm watching the filter minder to decide when to get a new filter. But I couldn't find any efficiency ratings for these.

Can't say for sure what year the engine is, but the chassis is a 2000 Spartan. I'm a little confused on the correct engine p/n. I got model # 3017021 off the plate on the engine, but the chassis label in the motorhome, says the engine is a model R537-AA2-003.

I genuinely appreciate help on this. As I said earlier, I am a total newbie when it comes to caring for a diesel engine.

If I may ask, why do you feel the Fleetguard is a better choice for the fuel filters?

According to what is listed on Donaldson and Fleetguard websites for the fuel/water separator, the Fleetguard FS1022 is rated at 98.7% @ 10 micron and the Donaldson P551122 is almost identical at 99% @ 10 micron. Both are rated at 95% emulsified h2O efficiency. So it seems that for the fuel/water separator, they should be pretty close to equivalent.

The fuel filter ratings are, Fleetguard FS1212 96% @ 20 micron and Donaldson FS558000 99% @ 15 micron. Again, both are 95% emulsified h2O. So I felt the Donaldson was a better choice for the fuel filter. Is there some other factor that I'm missing?

I'm curious, any opinion on large metal housing style air filters? It currently has a Napa Gold (Wix) that the previous owner had installed. I have found part numbers for Purolator, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin, and Wix equivalent filters. I'm watching the filter minder to decide when to get a new filter. But I couldn't find any efficiency ratings for these.

Can't say for sure what year the engine is, but the chassis is a 2000 Spartan. I'm a little confused on the correct engine p/n. I got model # 3017021 off the plate on the engine, but the chassis label in the motorhome, says the engine is a model R537-AA2-003.

I genuinely appreciate help on this. As I said earlier, I am a total newbie when it comes to caring for a diesel engine.
Sorry for the slow response here. For your application, probably fine using the Donaldson filter...that engine is old enough that it's not likely using a high pressure common rail fuel system...I think those started coming online later in the 2000's.

For newer engine applications though, particularly anything using HPCR and SCR exhaust aftertreatment systems, Fleetguard really has the best fuel filtration technology in the marketplace. One of the biggest differences between the top tier Fleetguard fuel filters and other competitive offerings from Donaldson, Baldwin, WIX, etc. is our use of polymer media versus micro-glass. Everything about the structure and make-up of the media is different than conventional media types. The advantage of using a polymer melt-blown media is that you don't have to worry about chopped fibers...it's all continuous fiber. That means no risk of media migration when the engine shakes and vibrates the filter during operation. We've seen plenty of evidence over the years of media fibers breaking loose and passing through the filter (not to mention the contaminant itself) to the clean side...an inherent risk of using glass alone.

Back