What exactly is wrong with mixing brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Nothing wrong with mixing if you are doing modest intervals, but Ashland products would dilute the wonderful sopus products calcium content since they use sodium.

Additive packages are balanced by each blender, so it's a good idea to mix within the same brand but it won't hurt anything except your TBN. This would only be apparent on extended drains.

Everything varies by application but all api sn oils are miscable.

Of course that doesn't mean that differently formulated additive packages achieve the same desired results when blended. However, you've got to at least expect that the result should be close to desired with the remaining 0.5-1 quart of oil left in an engine during an oil change mixing with a different formulation during an oil change.

I suppose you could say the same thing about gasoline when mixed, but the fuel itself is pretty much a fungible commodity that mixes well. And most detergent packages these days are PEA and reasonably work together to achieve the desired results even if they're not exactly the same.

However, I remember buying some Kendall 10W-30 of the same API spec sold on the same shelf at a Pep Boys. They came from different lots and anyone who has opened motor oil bottles over the years could tell they were different by the color and smell. Two bottles were "sweet" smelling - almost the honey-like odor I remember from Mobil 1 for years. The other two bottles were acrid smelling - a lot like most current motor oils. There was obviously something different about these even though the bottle designs were exactly the same, including a sticker that said it met the latest API spec (one more than the spec on the "donut").

One person mentioned mixing versus auto maker warranty... no one has mentioned the oil company standing behind their product. If you've mixed to different company's products, who do you go for if there's a lubrication failure? (Good luck with that, anyway, there's another thread on that topic right now).

As others have said it wont cause a catastrophic failure, but its certainly not ideal as the add packs will be competing.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
How do they compete Greg?

Im not looking for an argument, its just not ideal to mix brands. The chemists who make each oil balance the additives. When you mix different brands, you could throw off the add pack. The oil will obviously still lubricate the engine though. The add packs may not be as effective.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
This is only a guess: Oil is supplied with a certain percentage of additive "A" to achieve a certain level of performance. If I dilute that level by adding another oil then the original oil can't achieve the intended performance. One doesn't need a chemist to figure that out. However; people mix different oil all the time and I can't remember reading about a problem. Gear oil manufactures do state NOT to mix gear oils. Just my take on the subject. Ed

With all of the mixing hype the last few months, I've been giving it a lot of thought...a lot more detailed thought than I gave it for the last quarter century of mixing (M1 15W-50 with Duckham's Green 15W-50, 20%:80% was my brew 20 years ago).

My first logic step back in the day was that oil manufacturers have been changing their stuff continually, and forever...e.g. M1 5W-30 is not the same oil and additive pack that it's been since said oil was introduced, give or take a base-stock issue or two.

If M1 5W-30 is compatible through the years, then none of the changes that are made would be "deleterious" when mixed with last year's batch/recipe...API requires that oils CAN be mixed, Oil companies might make motherhood statements that it's not ideal, and diminishes the performance of their oil...while changing recipes anyway.

Other thought process is that in chemistry, a lot of things offer diminishing returns with concentration. As an example, understanding the relationship between TEL concentration and RON increase, it was possible in the 80s to make a frankenbrew fuel of 50:50 leaded premium with unleaded premium that had a higher RON than either product on it's own (MEK, Acetone, Ethanol, and distillate additives not to be mentioned - dissolving plastic in line filters was common). Happy to post the logic behind the octane thing elsewhere if people are interested.

The non linearity of additive performance should allow things like KeMBro2012's canola test (within reason) to not cause harm, through dilution (TBH, I topped off the L67 with Canola a few hundred km before the last oil change, less than 10%, but with Delo Gold Ultra, there's plenty of TBN and additive to go around)

The "diminishing returns with increasing concentration" leads me to believe (note, it's a belief, and the absence of a pile of failed engines does not prove the belief as scientific fact) that two decent properly formulated oils will do nearly as good, and quite possible better than either in their own right.

That being said, there's also threshold issues below which some stuff doesn't work...not really keen on a brew of 10 different oils as a result.

In summary, my view is that blending two decently formulated oils is probably benign, possibly beneficial.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
How do they compete Greg?

Im not looking for an argument, its just not ideal to mix brands. The chemists who make each oil balance the additives. When you mix different brands, you could throw off the add pack. The oil will obviously still lubricate the engine though. The add packs may not be as effective.

Honest question. What will happen if you have two oils with different additive packages mixed together? My last fill on my truck was 6 different kinds of oil. Some synth some conventional. I didn't notice a thing. Ran the same, didn't burn any, came out the same. No UOA for the mix but I think it was probably alright.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
One person mentioned mixing versus auto maker warranty... no one has mentioned the oil company standing behind their product. If you've mixed to different company's products, who do you go for if there's a lubrication failure? (Good luck with that, anyway, there's another thread on that topic right now).

well if they both failed then go after both I'd think

To be allowed to carry that API starburst all oils that carry it must be able to be mixed with each other with no detrimental effects. Although not optimal it won't do any harm. I wouldn't go running extended intervals with a mix of different brands or lines however I expect all the M1 products to be able to run the same drain interval whether grades are mixed or not.
Same goes for any oils of the same line,platinum mixed with platinum,castrol edge with other grades of edge.
I've mixed before,in fact just about every oil change was a mix because I was using up older open stock with new stuff. I don't anymore. I've got enough stock of the same brands and lines that I keep it consistent. No harm ever came to my engine because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back