What exactly is Dexos?

Originally Posted by 4WD
There are always wise cracks about Dexos but not about Dexron

True indeed 4wd...

Originally Posted by super20dan
dexos oil hasn't been able to keep 3.6 engines from eating their timming chains and 5.3 with afm from digesting their lifters and cams. then there is the infamous 2.4 ecotec

I wonder if the dealership change to a full synthetic (Dexos 1 Gen 2) over the earlier synthetic blend (Dexos 1 Gen 1) has to do with combatting this...although I believe that some synthetic blends still show they are the newer spec...

Bill

Originally Posted by blufeb95
GM is more stringent on Volatility than API/ILSAC, thus for an oil to pass Dexos it generally has to be of a better quality than oil's that barely meet the API/ILSAC requirements. Although there are plenty of oils of great quality that don't have Dexos plus only 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 are accepted Dexos1 grades. Dexos certification is really only important if you have a GM vehicle under warranty otherwise it's just a potential sign of quality that the oil exceeds API/ILSAC requirements and then some.

Nicely said much better then the "links" referenced in here.
The reason I am interested is after 10 years of not owning a GM vehicle I am back in the game owning one, so naturally made me curious about Dexos.

I guess I could do more searching to find out the specifics as to what GM demands from an oil.

Hats off to Quattro Pete too on the comment below yours on page 1. Makes sense.

The most interesting part is one of the least expensive full synthetic oils on the market has the Dexos approval. So this is not about massive profits and markups, as after all you can buy 5 quarts of it for $14 or so as Walmart - Supertech

Last edited:
Originally Posted by silversport
Originally Posted by super20dan
dexos oil hasn't been able to keep 3.6 engines from eating their timming chains and 5.3 with afm from digesting their lifters and cams. then there is the infamous 2.4 ecotec

I wonder if the dealership change to a full synthetic (Dexos 1 Gen 2) over the earlier synthetic blend (Dexos 1 Gen 1) has to do with combatting this...although I believe that some synthetic blends still show they are the newer spec...

Bill

They took it further than that. They wrote new programming for the OLM, at least for the 2.4, to shorten the OCI, while installing a new timing chain and guides. My sister-in-law threatened litigation over the timing chain in her Equinox when they uttered the words "lack of maintenance". 100% dealership maintained vehicle, on time, every time.

Dexos = band aid for poorly-designed pvc systems & timing sets in the 2.4 & 3.6. Can't speak to the 5.3.

IMO, Dexos drove the push for a small number of oil companies to produce GII+ hydro cracked (HC) … so that a healthy portion could be used. Buster posted what XOM said regarding EHC … and CVX does it too. P66 does it HP.

This means a good lubricant at a great price … just live with them all exploiting the word "synthetic" in the USA.
Another improvement comes in HDEO where once the major GII+ plant upgrades were done … better base stock is now going into those.

the 5.3 problem is different from the other mentioned engines. its AFM or MD related and affects the lifters and camshaft . the 5.3 was an amazing engine till they ruined it with cylinder deactivation. still oil related in theory

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
dexos is a lubricant specification. Tougher to meet than industry API specs (mainly comprised of oil industry over sight). ILSAC, a vehicle manufacturer driven spec, tried expanding on API specs. Most vehicle manufacturers have also published their own, specific, specs and most simply follow API/ILSAC. GM, with dexos, is not exclusively a GM spec (works with most modern engines) and has brought a new level to oils specs.

Im not the OP but that thank you for a cohesive, intelligent answer.

It beats some of the stupidity in the above comments.

Reactions: CKN
Why does General Motors specify a motor oil that does not exist. My 2023 Equinox LT owner's manual specifically states a motor oil "DEX 01 0 20W GENERATION 3. My dealer gave me the part unmember for that - 19432331.
So, I've called every Chevy dealership within a 50-mile radius, and scouted every possible address on the internet, and no one has, or even knows, where to get this stuff. So I ask these Chevy dealer's parts department, can I use the same motor oil only stated as GENERATION 2? I get a chorus of .." Aaaa... hmmmm.... I'll have to get back to you on that." So I get to thinking, is this something that General Motors does on a routine baseis with its parts. If I had know this was going to happen when the Mrs., and thought about paying for this car, we would've gone elsewhere. Such a basic thing.... motor oil, go figure.

Why does General Motors specify a motor oil that does not exist. My 2023 Equinox LT owner's manual specifically states a motor oil "DEX 01 0 20W GENERATION 3. My dealer gave me the part unmember for that - 19432331.
So, I've called every Chevy dealership within a 50-mile radius, and scouted every possible address on the internet, and no one has, or even knows, where to get this stuff. So I ask these Chevy dealer's parts department, can I use the same motor oil only stated as GENERATION 2? I get a chorus of .." Aaaa... hmmmm.... I'll have to get back to you on that." So I get to thinking, is this something that General Motors does on a routine baseis with its parts. If I had know this was going to happen when the Mrs., and thought about paying for this car, we would've gone elsewhere. Such a basic thing.... motor oil, go figure.

That’s because Generation 1 was yesterday.

And yesterday’s gone.

Gen2 is the replacement and is backwards compatible.

whomever you talked with may not know but I'd be surprised if any GM dealership didn't have the correct Dexos 1 Gen3 motor oil for your car...Gen 3 Dexos 1 has been out and available for some time now...Mobil oil shows at least 3 flavors for your Equinox LT

Bill

Reactions: 4WD
I feel the need to post this Lubrizol diagram for comparison sake.....

1690887100748.png

List of Dexos 1 Gen 3 oils: http://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1_3/index.html

I stopped counting the ones available as 0W-20 when I got to over 100 and was only at about Exxon.

Not all will be available to you locally but there's always the Rain Forest site if you can wait a couple days.

Regards,
John

whomever you talked with may not know but I'd be surprised if any GM dealership didn't have the correct Dexos 1 Gen3 motor oil for your car...Gen 3 Dexos 1 has been out and available for some time now...Mobil oil shows at least 3 flavors for your Equinox LT

Bill
You're surprised! Welcome to the club. Now, I did get one dealer that said to me... quote .."we don't sell the quarts or the larger container, because we buy it in bulk." Really? I also found out, like Bill stated, this stuff has been out for some time.
So far, I've found dealer after dealer with a subpar knowledgeable staff that knows diddlysquat. Up sell on the service end,
you bet ! I'm going to try the web site by Mobil, like Bill suggested. Now the trick would be to find somebody, anybody,
that sells this stuff. I'll also contact Rain Forest site, as John suggested. In any event, I come back and narrate my findings.
Thanks guys....
John the ChevyBowtiedude

You're surprised! Welcome to the club. Now, I did get one dealer that said to me... quote .."we don't sell the quarts or the larger container, because we buy it in bulk." Really? I also found out, like Bill stated, this stuff has been out for some time.
So far, I've found dealer after dealer with a subpar knowledgeable staff that knows diddlysquat. Up sell on the service end,
you bet ! I'm going to try the web site by Mobil, like Bill suggested. Now the trick would be to find somebody, anybody,
that sells this stuff. I'll also contact Rain Forest site, as John suggested. In any event, I come back and narrate my findings.
Thanks guys....
John the ChevyBowtiedude
I’m confused, you’re having problems purchasing a d1G3 licensed oil?

This just sounds like Dexos 1.3 - here is the first change I did in the Tahoe - from Walmart

IMG_1129.jpeg

Either you're not paying attention to my post, or you're picking up something from someone else.
I specifically stated (again) I am trying to find someone, anyone who sells this SPECIFIC branded ACDELCO OIL
GENERATION 3, NOT MOBIL, NOT QUAKER STATE, OR OTHER BRANDS. SO, IS THERE SUCH A PRODUCT,

SPECIFICALLY MADE BY AND BRANDED IN A CONTAINER BY ACDELCO OIL GENERATION 3, AND WHO HAS IT?

Equinox oil type.jpg

Either you're not paying attention to my post, or you're picking up something from someone else.
I specifically stated (again) I am trying to find someone, anyone who sells this SPECIFIC branded ACDELCO OIL
GENERATION 3, NOT MOBIL, NOT QUAKER STATE, OR OTHER BRANDS. SO, IS THERE SUCH A PRODUCT,

SPECIFICALLY MADE BY AND BRANDED IN A CONTAINER BY ACDELCO OIL GENERATION 3, AND WHO HAS IT?

View attachment 170149
It’s either made by P66 or Mobil -
But, you can get ACD on eBay or Amazon …

View attachment 170149
This vehicle does NOT require ACDELCO oil. It just requires D1G3 licensed product. In a somewhat related story, I had problems getting 5W20 for my Ford mustang Bullitt when it came out in 2001. No dealer had it yet. This looks like a failing somewhere in GM, be it regional dealerships or GM parts distribution or who knows what else. Classic cart before horse.

But good for you approaching 80 years old and clambering under your unibody trucklett to change the oil.

- Ken

Back