What engine oil for 1993 Mazda RX-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked a few qustions on here but I really need to go back to the beginning and ask something very basic. What oil would you guys recommend for a 1993 RX-7 1.3L Twin Turbo rotary engine? I have heard good things about both 10W-30 and 10W-40 for my car and have been recommended both by different people. I know I really need to go conventional with a rotary. I have been looking at the conventional oils from: Castrol/Quaker State/Valvoline/Pennzoil and Havoline but have been leaning towards Castrol. Any of these brands better than the other? (By the way, my car is unmodified, I do not drive crazy but do drive "spirited" on occasion and I live in Delaware.)

Thanks,
Drew

Rotary motors are picky about oil, not sure what to recommend for it, so I will leave that to someone who plays with rotary motors more...

Pics?
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotaries consume oil, so economics should play a role especially since you seem to drive it regularly. Had a friend with a turbo'd RX7 that consumed synthetic oil rather quicker than conventional oil.

Its how rotaries are.

Since rotary engines consume oil during normal operation I would opt for a clean burning conventional that won't leave much behind. Maybe Pennzoil YB with 3k OCIs?

I Had a 83 GSL with the 12A engine, gold with brown leather interior. The first reliable sports car I owned :)

At the time I am fairly certain I used Castrol 10W30 but if I had it now I would probably use a HDEO like Rotella

I'd like to see some pics as well.

I actually JUST bought a 1990 NA RX-7 today. Runs like a dream. I love being able to rev past 8,000RPM. This engine sounds amazing.

Be sure to idle the engine for 2 minutes after driving, your 1993 Mazda RX-7 has twin turbos and they get very hot.

Also, according to rotary drivers I have met, they say conventional oil is the only way to go.

I stated this many times in the past and let me state it once again:

Mazda rotary engines (wankel engine design), requires a very careful blend of motor oil to maintain proper sealing (thus longevity) of the apex seals, and it's meant to be burned as to lubricate the seals.

Because a wankel engine design operates differently than that of any conventional reciprocal engines (internal combustion engines), one simply cannot use/assume all conventional, blended for reciprocal engines (conventional 4cyl gasoline/diesel engines) oil going to work in wankel engines.

In other words: do not use (and assume) conventional motor oil is going to work satisfactorily in rotary engines, period.

I'd strongly recommend the use of Idemitsu 10W30 for rotary engine oils:

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/h/39/10w30.htm

Anything else will be a compromise to the rotary engines (causing loss of sealing (apex seal), chattering, sealing walls scuffing, etc.)

Q.

My friend always ran gtx or quaker state 10w40 in his. Valvoline 10w40 always seems to be a favorite on the rx7 forums.

I use royal purple 10w-40 in my 1984 RX-7, and yes I do track mine when I have the money and time. College is putting a damper on that. I've had no issues at all so far.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I stated this many times in the past and let me state it once again:

Mazda rotary engines (wankel engine design), requires a very careful blend of motor oil to maintain proper sealing (thus longevity) of the apex seals, and it's meant to be burned as to lubricate the seals.

Because a wankel engine design operates differently than that of any conventional reciprocal engines (internal combustion engines), one simply cannot use/assume all conventional, blended for reciprocal engines (conventional 4cyl gasoline/diesel engines) oil going to work in wankel engines.

In other words: do not use (and assume) conventional motor oil is going to work satisfactorily in rotary engines, period.

I'd strongly recommend the use of Idemitsu 10W30 for rotary engine oils:

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/h/39/10w30.htm

Anything else will be a compromise to the rotary engines (causing loss of sealing (apex seal), chattering, sealing walls scuffing, etc.)

Q.

doesn't matter because if you track your rotary, then you will still eat up apex seals, regardless if you use idemetsu or not.

Last edited:
Most the FD RX7 guys run GTX 10w30 and/or 20w50 depending on weather. Tracking will yield less carbon than otherwise and unless you are tracking there is no reason to idle the turbos down. They are water and oil cooled I believe. There are certainly man owners using synthetic too, but why bother if GTX is doing the job.

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/oil-viscosity-812290/

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the advocate in this discussion for M1 5w30 is using a sump oil block off and having only 2 stroke injected. He is also using an oil pressure mod greatly increasing the OP and making the 30wt more suitable. My experience with M1 5w30 in the rotary is major carbon Id suspect from the Mag addy. The 0w40 variety doesn’t appear to have the Mag though so that might be an option.

Tracking the rotary will do much less harm than babying it Id suspect. My UOAs show nearly nil uptick in metals after track days versus the samples taken just before.

Last edited:
Do any of the brands that I mentioned stick out more that any other as being better? I was kinda leaning towards valvoline or castrol over quaker state/pennzoil/havoline/peak.

Last edited:
Valvoline VR1 conventional 10w30. It has extra zddp which would help with wear protection of apex and side seals.

typically avoid synthetics. rotaries leave some oil on the "walls" and syn can leave a buildup over time that can play [censored] with the spinning rotors.

also KEEP AN EYE on the injection pump. your engine pulls oil from the crankcase and mixes it with the fuel, like a boat motor. that's why you have a low oil level light. if that pump fails, the engine will lose lubrication and you will not know immediately.

some folks disable the pump and just dump a quart of oil in every tank of gas.

great vehicle, true classic! fun to drive!!!

Thank you guys for the opinions so far! If anyone else would like to chime in I'm open! I am really leaning towards Castrol GTX 10W-40 but I am not completely sure yet. Is Castrol conventional going to be better than valvoline/pennzoil/quaker state/havoline conventional oils?

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back