What engine oil for 1993 Mazda RX-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're known to use oil, why not think of your spend. Super Tech or Mobil 5000 are the cheapest I can find, so why not think about that? They're both very good oils and good bang for buck.

Even though they use oil,that`s what they`re designed to do. Dont use some junk throw-away oil,use a top name dino. RX7 TT`s are VERY high end/high dollar cars.

Originally Posted By: soundwavefd
Thank you guys for the opinions so far! If anyone else would like to chime in I'm open! I am really leaning towards Castrol GTX 10W-40 but I am not completely sure yet. Is Castrol conventional going to be better than valvoline/pennzoil/quaker state/havoline conventional oils?

Drew

The additive package chemistry is very similar between Valvoline and Castrol conventionals. But Castrol does not have an equivalent to Valvoline VR1 with high zddp content.

I don't know if our other member with an rx-7 has posted yet however he was selling total brand oil or wanting to trade it for castrol because the total was being consumed at a high rate but the castrol he wanted didn't.
So for whatever that's worth. Iirc he tracked the car too

Spending a few hours (or days) over at Rx7club reading all the oil threads there will put you light years ahead of any advice you are going to get here (no offense to anyone here!). Plenty of real-world experience on that forum, lots of rotary fanatics and rebuilders that have enough experience inside them to see what oils work well and which ones dont.

The only difference I have personally seen, between the ones I have owned and torn down, and the engines of other peoples Rx's, is the ones that blocked off the factory metering pump and ran a 2-cycle premix had significantly less carbon building up on the rotor faces versus those who just left the metering pump in place.

The early carb'd 12A's were pretty solid, the later 13B's were decent but seemed to let go earlier than the 12A's, and the 13B single and twin turbos.... once you get up around 100k miles, seems like you are seriously on borrowed time. You will see occasional exceptions to that, of course. I managed to get my last single turbo to 125k miles before it blew, and I was pretty happy at that. The post-mortem showed a little bit of carbon on the rotor faces, but the apex seal channels and side seals looked great. This was on years of whatever generic 10w-40 or 20w-50 I had in my stash at the time. Havoline, Valvoline, Mobil, whatever.

You'd probably be better off not being too concerned about what brand of oil to use, and better served stashing a few extra $10's and $20's into a piggy bank every week to help offset the cost of the inevitable rebuild you will be facing after a few years. Its going to happen. In the meantime, enjoy the hands-down funnest car you will ever own. Finding a 93-95 Rx7 around here that hasnt been seriously abused or teenage-mod'd to Hades and back is getting a bid hard to do.....

One thing I did forget to mention is that the car only has 18,500 original miles. I am definitely not going to use junk oil in her just because I have to top off often. A good name conventional should do. People over at RX7 club are using alot of different grades of oil. 10-30/20-50 etc. Lots of arguments over there about conventional vs synthetic oil. People over there dont seem to want to talk too much about oil as it has been argued to death, so thats why I wanted to post over here. I do need to read up on some of the older oil threads on rx7club though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back