What Enables Such Long Intervals With Diesels??

All of this plus diesel fuel has some lubricating properties while gasoline is a solvent.

I just read where a trucking company with the help of Mobil and Cummins have gone to a 60K mile OCI and keeps the engine in warranty as long as they do oil analysis every 10K.
Is it the fact that the 'Big Trucks" have 20-40 gallon oil capacity and the fact that diesel fuel itself is oily that allows such long intervals whereas, gas engines have much lower oil capacity and the fuel itself isn't "oily"?

I work for the maintenance division of one of the largest OTR carriers in the county.
They've been running 50K oil change intervals with Cummins ISX/X15, Detroit DD15 and Volvo D13 with Chevron 10W-30 Semi-syn and Fleetgard filters for years. The OEMS do not protest the oil change intervals.

Oil system capacity ranges from 11-15 gallons

I was in a repair shop and was told the capacity on the tractors was 45 quarts and 60k oil change intervals. Since I got to walk around the shop and the parts bins, I said, oh, you use Baldwin filters? I heard they and Hastings were good. The svc manager said they're junk but we're cheap :ROFLMAO:

what do they get now? 5-5.5?
my son was driving a rather new Kenworth T680 with the X15 and it averaged slightly more than 8 mpg... as my son said it would probably do better than that if he didn't let it idle the other 24 hours a day when he wasn't driving.

my son was driving a rather new Kenworth T680 with the X15 and it averaged slightly more than 8 mpg... as my son said it would probably do better than that if he didn't let it idle the other 24 hours a day when he wasn't driving.
Not bad. I thought they got crappy mileage with all the epa stuff

Back