what does this mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on changing my atf on my 02 prizm. the prizm manual says 2.7 QTS for the system..I checked on the amsoil website and it says this?

Automatic Transmission, MB3 Initial Fill..........2.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, MS7 Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
3 speed MB3..........5.8 quarts
4 speed MS7..........8.1 quarts

I have the 3 spd..

I am just dropping the pan,draining, changing the filter and re filling...how much ATF do I need? I just bought 3 qts only.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Do you have the 3 or 4 speed auto?

Okay so duh now I see it. I had the three speed also. The top info is for what you are doing. It was almost 3 qts to drop pan and change filter.

The bottom is a complete drain.

Oh and ummm did you know the 3-speed has a seperate differential seperate from the tranny. It takes ATF too! Change it. It's easy. and it only takes a quart and a half I believe.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I did not know of the seperate differential actually..where exactly is it?

Oh...Okay I had the car on a lift. It's on the passenger side of the differential which is at the back passenger side of the tranny. It was easy to drain. I took a plastic hose and my buddy used a clean pump(man I cain't remember what he made it out of!) to fill the diff. The car had 80000 miles on it and I was sure it had never been changed. I had a 91 Prizm with the same diff that locked up on me. We thought it was the transmission but apparently it had been drained somehow during an axle replacment.

Google the particular tranny you have...

I'll look back over some of my posts...

Well if you google A131L Differential you are bound to find what you need. Put a good quality Syn ATF in there and you'll be fine. Just don't neglect the diff or you will be walking like I was back in 02...

Quote:
what does this mean??

Yeah, I never quite wrapped around Amsoil's term for a service fill verses a total fill ....like the unit was "initially" filled with the day it was put into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back