What does the long term data look like on DI engines?

DI has been around long enough now where there should be some good feedback on how the top end holds up without getting a gasoline bath every revolution. Will a DI car need valvetrain cleaning if left alone after a certain amount of miles? Engine is fantastic now not burning oil whatsoever and no fuel dilution issues so I'm curious as to what to expect in the long run with the Mazda.

My understanding is that it is engine-dependent. As in, some engine families had problems--others never did. I think the early Mazda's were not known for this at all? nor the later model ones.

Does seem to be in the past, or nearly so.

Mazda has one of the most reliable and long lasting DI engines IMO. Both Skyactiv engines are bulletproof. 200k with no repairs is not unusual with these engines.

My ideas on helping keeping IVD's low: try and avoid short trips. Get engine warm and don't be afraid to get on it. Use a good synthetic with low Noack - Mobil 1/Amsoil/Valvoline etc.

I’m sure there are pics of Skyactiv engine intake valves somewhere.
There are I posted a few photos. It wasn't nearly as bad as most others and it didn't impact performance at all. Ironically with the Skyactiv engine, and this maybe true for other engines, the mpg and hp improves over time. Car and Driver said their CX-5 long term tester was faster at 40k miles then when new.

I want to say that Mazda came up with the idea to make it so their intake valves run hot, to prevent carbon buildup on the back of their intake valves. And it seems to be working. Not sure if they were doing this in 2013 though.

Back