What does First Brands own anyways?

Is there a chart somewhere showing the companies under the FIRST BRANDS umbrella?

Like for example, Fram is listed on their site, but Champ labs is not, it is called Luber Finer? Are they running independent companies or is FRAM running Luber Finer?

....I also see they acquired Carter, now I no longer see Airtex or ASC listed? Did first brands kill off these two brands and Carter took the business, or are the Airtex-ASC plants building parts going into Carter boxes?

I have some serious concerns with this conglomerate. Are they just shuffling around things like the Previous owner, or are they really trying to get these businesses profitable for long term investing?

Last edited:
Like all these business groups they have bought out other groups. I'm not sharp enough or have the time to discover what they all own. What to buy 1 to10,000 + what ever parts, tractors to tv at a certain price point in China or ? Alibaba. Any big chain stores can buy that way.

They have several brands under their umbrella.

This is from 2020.

They recently bought Horizon Global which had several towing equipment brands including Drawtite. FB has them now.

If they're publicly traded, check/read their annual report. It should/will list their divisions.

From their linkedin page:

First Brands Group, LLC serves the automotive aftermarket industry with category-leading brands. Premium brands of TRICO Group include TRICO wipers, Carter fuel pumps, ANCO wipers, Airtex fuel pumps, StrongArm lift supports, Autolite spark plugs and FRAM filters.

As mentioned they own a lot of other things too.

First brands is private - I presume funded by private equity. As for filters - FRAM has always been probably the biggest name in aftermarket oil filters. Champion Labs never really marketed their own brands that much - they historically made filters for everyone else- or maybe they licensed those brand names - don't know? Either way, from the observation of the cross pollination of different filters from both of the earlier brand names, they seem to be pretty much combining different aspects of each - more than likely to save money.

There is really no way to tell what their strategy is. Since there private they have no need to make public statements or public filings. However private equity generally wants to either make as much profit for their owners as possible, or polish things up as much as possible so they can go public.

Not sure how I feel about Carter pumps now…
See, I just don´t think it makes sense owning wholly owned subsidiaries that are in the same market. First Brands owns Carter,Airtex, ASC, Fram, Champ... There should be some consolidation going to happen, or spin-sell off the competing assets.
Like what happened when Southwire Co Acquired Coleman Cable, a direct competitor, Southwire closed Southwire plants cause they were duplicates and Southwire paid more /hour.

Back