What do you use for maintenance records?

I set up an email address with the VIN when I buy a vehicle. All receipts, documents, pictures, et cetera get forwarded to that email address. I can review them when necessary, and also pass them along to the next owner.

If you own a Toyota, you can use their online tool to keep track of your maintenance. https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/service-history

I started a tiny notebook since I posted this, and officially I'm awful for keeping track of stuff it seems! I swore I put my last couple oils changes and some little work I did in it but nope, nothing :rolleyes:

I'm wondering the different ways people keep track of their maintenance and costs on their vehicles?

-Pen and paper? (I did it this way for years, to bad I can never find my lil booklets, lol)
-App? Any good suggestions on basic ones (I don't need fuel graphs etc, many seem to have way to much info!)?
-memory?

I'm just trying to find a good way to keep track of stuff (more so I know when I need to do it next.)
There's 3x5 (or so) wire bound auto record books by "At-A-Glance" that I've used for years. When we get a new car, we get a new book

I'm wondering the different ways people keep track of their maintenance and costs on their vehicles?

-Pen and paper? (I did it this way for years, to bad I can never find my lil booklets, lol)
-App? Any good suggestions on basic ones (I don't need fuel graphs etc, many seem to have way to much info!)?
-memory?

I'm just trying to find a good way to keep track of stuff (more so I know when I need to do it next.)
Excel spreadsheet

Google Docs for each vehicle at home. Date/mileage/and what was done. Simple to fill after a task is done and can be handed off to the next owner.

These have always worked for me.

ea27e43a-0fa1-4f2e-a07f-9009dba50999_1.9924f9d62e51b686bea13cb63e6aae36.jpg

-memory?

Two ways. A dedicated file to each in my computer. Also each receipt in glove compartment along with auto manual / warranty book where I record all preventive maintenance + any repair work. I used to lose too much until I got dedicated to keeping it all in each car.

I do keep my paper records/receipts, and make scans of anything done on the thermal paper since it tends to be disappearing *ink* after a few years, but primarily I use excel spreadsheets. I have them for everything requiring maintenance on a schedule, vehicle, mower, furnace, etc.

Once the internet era of online purchases became common I also started a computer folder/files for each vehicle and save digital copies into the respective folder for each vehicle's purchases along with wiring diagrams, how-to videos, PDF extracts of forum topics, etc... anything and everything.

Once I have this master folder of everything related to each vehicle it can be propagated onto my phone memory card, put in data backups, and useful portions, shared with fellow owners of same vehicle.

I have one file folder for each car.
Then, I keep every shop slip and many parts store purchase receipts in a folder with the "latest" on top.

I keep all receipts in a folder, but as I buy oil and filters and most regular maintenance things in bulk I just stick them in there and they usually aren't (or stay) in any particular order...

Back