What Do You Think Of Craftsman Tools Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering adding some new tools to my collection. I have many Craftsman tools and I have always trusted Craftsman, but I am not so sure today with their newer tools.

What do you think? Is Craftsman still a good choice for tools?

I have always liked craftsman. There excellent for the house. At work snap-on is sometimes necessary for things such as specialty or other hand tools air tools ext

lowest quality chinese junk on the market. get duralast from azone, kobalt from lowes or step up to napas carlisle tools. all these are leaps better than todays craftsman tools.

My favorites are Thorsen for their thick/highly polished combination wrenches,and Triangle for their unique sets of sockets/extensions/ratchets.Sadly neither are made anymore.

Many of their hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc) are made in China. They look the same as before, but are clearly marked "China" in many instances. If that bothers you, it's best to shop elsewhere. I have a ton of Craftsman tools, but they are older USA tools. If I were buying new today, I'd buy a different brand.

I still buy some Craftsman tools. However, if I am going to buy something Chinese or Taiwanese I find myself going to Harbor Freight more and more. Similar quality for many items with a much lower purchase price.

If you are referring to Craftsman Power tools, they are o better or worse than other Chinese power tools. Their Chinese hand tools should be avoided since you are essentially paying a made in USA price for made in China tools. If you can still find made in USA Craftsman hand tools, they are OK, but not as good as the older Craftsman tools, like my vintage 1980's stuff.

The bulk of my tools are 80's Craftsman with most of my specialty (alignment, etc.) Snap On.

Someone posted a deal on a 250-something piece Craftsman set last Dec, IIRC for a hundred bucks so I grabbed it to keep in my Jeep. The steel quality and finish seem consistent with my old stuff. They are also stamped USA.

I think overall Craftsman are still good tools.

It's next to impossible to find made in USA Craftsman hand tools still in stores. Most stores have been gone over with a fine tooth comb looking for the USA stuff, which appears to be no longer made.

Since they are now selling Chinese tools at American prices, they should be avoided. You can get the same quality tools at Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Napa for less.

If looking for sockets and wrenches, I would look at Napa Carlyle hand tools. They are some of the nicest non Snap On tools out there in my opinion.

If you want American made tools at non tool truck prices I recommend Wright Tools available on Amazon. Their factory is right down the street from my office in Barberton, Ohio.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A228013%2Cp_4%3AWright+Tool&ie=UTF8&qid=1398804502

I just used the Craftsman combination racheting wrench set Sunday to remove the Alternator. This set was never used before and was on sale for $20. The ratcheting action was bad. The wrench slipped gears more than I thought possible. I'll be looking into the Wright line of tools.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's next to impossible to find made in USA Craftsman hand tools still in stores. Most stores have been gone over with a fine tooth comb looking for the USA stuff, which appears to be no longer made.

Since they are now selling Chinese tools at American prices, they should be avoided. You can get the same quality tools at Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Napa for less.

If looking for sockets and wrenches, I would look at Napa Carlyle hand tools. They are some of the nicest non Snap On tools out there in my opinion.

Lowes is going downhill fast. It seems even the Taiwan made stuff are too expensive for them so they are getting them from China and India.
I notice they don't have the decent stubby wrenches anymore, they are replacing a lot of stuff with really horrible low grade stuff at the same price.

Napa Carlyle looks very decent. Made in Taiwan but thats not a real problem, they have some good US, Japanese and German steel foundries up and running.
They are starting to make more of their own branded tools of decent quality and are definitely approaching first world status, they are where Japan was in the 60's.
Making good stuff but the rest of the world had not caught on yet. When it does and the stigma is gone look for prices to go up dramatically.

SK is back in the game and making some really nice tools in the USA. Sears is going the way of the dodo which is a shame, some of that old Craftsman stuff was very good.

The warranty stuff I see come in for a warranty replacement at Sears are 95% ratchets, a few cracked sockets and screwdrivers with chipped tips.

The screwdrivers were probably all abused. Who knows about the sockets, they could be regular sockets used in an impact.

I would suggest getting the ratchet that is made in Taiwan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back