What do you do with your old/used coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: John_K
Local trash has an occasional hazardous waste pickup day.

John

John - your stash is 100 oil changes. How many years is that for your household?

About 18 years!
25.gif

John

The best you can have today is rated SN. In 18 years the cars will require oil that may be SS or SV rated.

Maybe you will just keep the current cars 18 years also?

I have a Shop Sink.
No need to bring it through the house to the toilet and make my wife angry.

It's all connected to the same sanitary sewer!

I mix half and half with a good Bourbon.That way whens its below freezing out side I won't freeze to death.

I dump mine mixed with my used oil in our DPW's 330Gal waste oil tank....they burn it for heat.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I dump mine mixed with my used oil in our DPW's 330Gal waste oil tank....they burn it for heat.

I was always warned never to put used coolant into waste oil, it would cause problems.

However, there were instances where there would be some coolant in the used oil because I drained it from an engine with a failed gasket.

I have a friend who used to work at a nationwide oil change chain; I felt a little bad about bringing him my used oil until he told me they actually MAKE money on used oil. I wonder if that's the case with used coolant as well? The ethylene glycol can certainly be recovered, but is it cost-effective to do so? Being that it's derived from petroleum, I would think recovering it from used coolant would at least have a shot at being cost-effective...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back