What do you do for weed control?

If I killed all the weeds I'd have to paint the yard green. Whatever grows I just let it grow and get it with the lawn mower or weed eater. If I feel especially energetic I'll spray around the house/etc. with Round Up so I can go a few weeks without using the weed eater.

WOW! This is not the thread I was expecting to read upon opening it. 🤷‍♂️ ;)
One of my uncles owned his own pest control business for 65 years. He had his own version of a Round Up type chemical for weeds.

We have a rock curb strip that attracts weeds. A weed killer spray followed by a good application of pool salt really does work.

Agent Orange was a mix of 24D and 245T. Nasty stuff. RoundUp wasn’t invented yet. It has its issues as well.
That and mainly the TCCB dioxin that was the problem of agent orange.

That's not in roundup!

Pictures please!
IMG_20220510_193026092.jpg

IMG_20220510_193039211.jpg
IMG_20220510_193047771.jpg
IMG_20220510_193105645.jpg
IMG_20220510_193129335.jpg
IMG_20220510_193140263.jpg

Lawn maintenance is upon us in Michigan so weeds are cropping their ugly heads up.

I know there are many ways to treat. Using spreaders with pellets, concentrates and pump sprayers, Gallon jug sprayers, Hose end mixing sprayers etc.

I usually use a concentrate and my pump sprayer and spot treat as needed.

What do you guys do?
Mow 'em.

I dip a bucket into my Soft Water Tank and pour that on my weeds. For my lawn I spray them with Ortho

This year I'm going to try sticking with spot treatment on weeds and Milorganite for the feed after a dethatch and aeration. Past couple of years I've paid for 4 combo applications but my grass is generally pretty thick and therefore I don't get much for weeds.
PXL_20210729_223121120.jpg

Early spring I put down a fertilizer/pre emergent. About now, I need to put down the fertilizer/weed killer. Then in a few weeks, I'll start doing spot treatment with 2,-D Amine.

The fertilizer/pre emergent and fertilizer/weed killer are part of a 4 step lawn treatment that has been available here in the Utah/Idaho area for quite some time. With regular use, combined with the spot treatment, I have fewer and fewer weeds in my lawn each year.

I couldn’t remember that last one. Thanks.
All true. Roundup came shortly after Agent Orange but was developed using what was learned making Agent Orange. Except the negative interaction with humans which came years later. At the time I lived in the middle of corn/soy bean country (Central Illinois) and many young healthy farmers were mysteriously contracting and dying from cancer. The licensing part about weed killers and fertilizers is true.

All true. Roundup came shortly after Agent Orange but was developed using what was learned making Agent Orange. Except the negative interaction with humans which came years later. At the time I lived in the middle of corn/soy bean country (Central Illinois) and many young healthy farmers were mysteriously contracting and dying from cancer. The licensing part about weed killers and fertilizers is true.
- Please cite some references tying Glyphosate development to Agent Orange.
- Please explain how soldiers literally getting showered with Agent Orange compares to Glyphosate applied with proper PPE, equipment, etc..
- Please explain how you determined that Glyphosate caused the cancer in central Illinois farmers vs. all of the other pesticides and fertilizers they use: simizine, atrazine, insecticides, fungicides, animal husbandry antibiotics, ground water nitrates, etc..
- Please cite references that show Glyphosate was ever a restricted use pesticide (required licensing/certification) during its early history. Fertilizer requiring licensing??? Show us, please. Lawn care companies and contract ag. applicators need licensing for business purposes. Few, if any of the products they use are restricted use (requiring certification).

Let's face it, we are exposed to possible harm-causing chemicals daily. We don't seem to worry about gasoline. Our processed foods are full of chemicals. We take prescription drugs like candy.

Last edited:
Let's face it, we are exposed to possible harm-causing chemicals daily. We don't seem to worry about gasoline. Our processed foods are full of chemicals. We take prescription drugs like candy.
Yep, its true, but I still think its good to reduce the more optional chemical exposures... Up in lake country you could easily tell which lakes have lawns all around them, and which one don't, just from a water sample. People tend to over apply pesticides or fertilizer, or apply at the wrong times and it ends up in the lake. I just cut our lawn a bit longer and it seems grass wins for most of it that way.

We live in Green Hell.

Pretty much we hand dig and use selective variable height mowing. We don't have a lawn, well much of a lawn until we are done with all the projects. The previous clowns for years did nothing so we even had truly noxious weeds in places on our property. Just passed the one year mark and and mostly controlled. Some stuff if you just cut it enough, it will die. From "Grampa's Weeder" to torch to ZT mower to pick axe.....

Kee Ryst.

I just say no way to so much chemistry. I have a well. I just don't spray crap on weeds. I am not some kind of organonazi but dam. Yeah we are exposed to chemicals....but purposely? On the ground?? No way.

I'm with you all about better sustainable living - I stated that farther up - less dependency on pesticides and fertilizers (moderation). Accept an imperfect lawn, blemished fruit/vegetables, don't mind a few insect critters in our homes. My combative argument about Roundup is the misinformation that was presented and the hypocritical nature of our ways. We single out that media attention grabbing topic while ignoring everything else. The U.S. in general wants cheap. Our agriculture system is dependent on chemicals to achieve cheap. People are complaining now about inflated commodities. Sustainable agriculture will result in higher food costs. It's a double edge sword for sure.

Sorry. I'm beyond grumpy today. Lots of personal crises to deal with this week. My apologies. Carry on, LOL. Good for us that are attempting to practice moderation in our own tiny bubbles.

Last edited:
Back