What do you do for weed control?

Lawn maintenance is upon us in Michigan so weeds are cropping their ugly heads up.

I know there are many ways to treat. Using spreaders with pellets, concentrates and pump sprayers, Gallon jug sprayers, Hose end mixing sprayers etc.

I usually use a concentrate and my pump sprayer and spot treat as needed.

What do you guys do?

I just mow over them and pretend they weren’t there. Kids like to play out there and I’d rather they not be rolling around in various chemicals.

F859D7C3-58FD-4259-A5A5-41D2132CF91F.gif

I pulled 20 dandelions yesterday whilst mowing.
I've been doing it so long I even cross the street to pull some of my neighbor's before they go to seed.

Mow them, it’s an ecological disaster that everyone needs to ddt and herbicide the entire lawn twice a week

Back before the weather around here started destroying Zoysia I had Zoysia plugs that took over most of the front yard, the run off from living at the bottom of a hill seems to kill almost everything except cheap county grass so that is what we have.

The granular weed killers have never worked for me, I use the concentrate and mix a 1 gallon sprayer and usually just spot spray the weeds. Pulling them, well, you may not get all the roots and have to do it again. Better living thru chemicals!

I pulled 20 dandelions yesterday whilst mowing.
I've been doing it so long I even cross the street to pull some of my neighbor's before they go to seed.
We have summer vacation properties around here, in fact one beside mine and one across the street. I’ll spot spray to keep them down and have been very successful with the lot next door.The one across the street I’ll try pound down this year. They come from a fellow’s yard who personifies them as “ cute little guys”.

As little as possible. Spot spray only with Weed-B-Gon. The minimum necessary to get the desired end result.

I've never treated the whole yard with anything, because I didn't want the dog walking through it... and spreading weed killer over the entire lawn, just to control .0001% of the undesirable doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Spot spray only the worst stuff, such as poison ivy, and then use only the amount needed to do that job.

When I lived in a rural area in southside Virginia, we had bats, hummingbirds, and dragonflies doing their job naturally, especially with dragonflies controlling mosquitoes. We also had songbirds I hadn't heard in years, such as whippoorwills. We just let wild grass grow naturally and trimmed it with a tractor and brush cutter. When we got a neighbor a few years later, he decided he had to have a lawn like his past one in New Joisey, so he put loads of pesticides, herbicides, etc., down early and often to get that purty lawn. First the bats left, then the dragonflies, then the songbirds, finally the hummingbirds. None of them ever returned. When I left the property, we hadn't seen a hummingbird at the feeder in 10 years.

Don't use loads of chemicals on your lawn. It's not necessary. Not good for the environment either.

Any of the concentrate weed killers diluted with water in a sprayer work okay, not great. The granulated weed-n-feed don't work well in my experience. They're all awful chemicals, though; bad for your health, your pets' health, the birds, bugs, the ecosystem. If you can get away with it, it's best to mow constantly before they sprout seeds. I envy you all who live where you can let nature be nature. Nature hates monoculture lawns but our HOA won't accept that. If we don't keep our lawns free of 'undesirables' then they'll do it for us then fine us and put a lien on our house. Same with keeping lawns watered, even during extreme drought.

What a waste of resources.

Back