Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

"I was a rice-burner when rice wasn't cool."

still isn't....

What's not cool about this? ROTFLMAO
grin.gif

-

Not quite a teenager, my son is 9 years old and loves American Muscle cars. Especially Chevelles. Couldn't be that this is because I owned and raced two 1970's Chevelles and my son heard from my friends how dad raced down the streets and country roads here where we live?

Son made the comment one day when a Honda drove up next to us sounding like a bumble bee. My son said, "Dad, that does not even sound like a real car". At that same moment just opposite to us in the other lane was Mike Farrell's 1970 Chevelle - Big Block and tubbed out wheel wells with slicks. Mike cut loose with the Chevelle as the light turned green, tire smoke and the scream of a monster. Son said, " Wow!, Dad now that is a real car!"

Not too many ricers here in Detroit. A few f*rt-cans, but nothing elaborate. It's just not in our culture.

Mustangs and G-bodies pretty much rule the road.

Vairox & Michael,

I was doing a little play on words from a popular 80's C&W song. Maybe are too young to remember?

Anyway it was meant to be a bit of a joke as I think rice burners and the whole (Camry???) 'Tuner' life is a joke too!

And Brian is on the ball. Everyone thought V8 = fast. Until a 100HP 1600lb Metro-looking Suzuki did 0-60 in about 7 seconds, off the showroom floor (for only $8900, new).

What about these for classics?

Some 80’s classics that come to mind = Regal GNX, 5000/4000/Coupe Quattro, Rabbit GTI, VW Scirocco, Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 (well it looked neat, then), Hurst Olds Cutlass, Porsche 928S-4, Porsche 959, Lotus Esprit, 300Z, Shelby GLH & GLS, Civic RealTime AWD wagon, 4wd Tercel wagon, Subaru Brat, Ferrari Testerossa, MB 500SL, BMW M-5, 635 CSI, & 850, etc…

90’s = Acura NSX, (return of the) RX-7, Sentra SE-R, Lexus SC400, M3 (2-door, manual), VW Corrado G60, Audi V8

Some are classic pieces of junk worth noting, some are classic super cars, and some are classic for setting trends.

I'm 18 and I kind of like the earlier Mustangs like when it was first produced. I have friend that is into Fieros. But other than that I can't really think of much domestics from the 80's or 90's that I like. They're pretty bland with exception of the Trans Am/Camaro. I don't know if this counts but if I could buy a first car all over again I would go with a 91+ Acura Legend.

The 5.0 mustang was the end-all-to-be-all when I was in high school in 93ish.

Oddly, GM suddenly (in an MBA marketing sort of way) jumped on that bandwagon with the 305/307 being 5.0s too.
grin.gif

There is that tough void of slow smoggy RWD late 1970's cars to rusted out 80's Japanese stuff around here so there aren't cool $300 cars one can hot rod up. Kids here seem to drive either stock saturns, cavaliers, integras, and neons or brand new vehicles of every description depending on their parents' wealth. And they're "gonna put in NOS" someday.
rolleyes.gif

Admittedly, adults are worse because they're stuck in a time warp always looking for that early 70's olds cutlass. See them all the time at car shows bragging about how they used to work on cars way back when but now it's too tough with "all the sensors".

We're talking classic cars and nobody has even talked about the big block Chevy 427 or the Ford 429....what's going on here. IMHO there were only a few american made classics in the 80s. Letme think...Hurst/Olds, Buick GrandNational & the 87 GNX....that about all I can think of right now. The Mustangs lost their image to me when Ford started to drop 4 cylinder engines in them. The same goes for the Camaro with the exception of the 89 when Pontiac used the Buick Grand National engine in a limited amount of Trans Ams. Overall, the 80's were pretty lame when it came to cars that were going to make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back