What do today's teens consider 'calssic' automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a teen in the late 70's early 80's, you were considered so uncool if you didn't know 318,360,440 were mopar from the 60's early 70's, you knew a 350, 454 was GM, you knew what a 426 hemi was, your vocabulary also included 351 cleveland, 289, posi traction, etc etc. the list goes on and on. DO kids today hold cars from 10-15 years ago in high esteem as they were 20 - 25 years ago? Just curious. The youngsters I know don't even talk about cars much, but I do not know too many.

im a little older than teens (21) but im not or wasnt really big on cars from 10 - 15 years ago. im more into the cars from the 60s and 70s. i do like some cars from the mid 80s, i like g-bodies. but most of the other cars from the 80s dont impress me.

From what I know, teens still talk about cars but their interest changed from the old days.

Things in the 80s to early 90s are considered uncool regardless of condition. Excellent condition sports car from 70s and earlier (vetty, mustangs, camaro, etc) are considered somewhat cool by a large percentage.

The cool cars of todays are mostly import, and the common perception is that "classic" American cars are cool if they are highly tricked out or very high horse powered, otherwise don't even bother.

im a little older than teens (21) but im not or wasnt really big on cars from 10 - 15 years ago. im more into the cars from the 60s and 70s. i do like some cars from the mid 80s, i like g-bodies. but most of the other cars from the 80s dont impress me.

I'm a teenager and I DO talk about cars...but I personally like the more "bland" cars that are sold today...ones with lower insurance costs and better fuel efficiency.

Most of my friends aren't interested in cars, its a Point A to Point B item for them...for those that are, the WRX and G35 are always discussed...

21 here also and love cars and engines in general. I was lucky enough to grow up having a Father that was into cars also. My Dad had a 69 375hp 396 Chevelle SS, 1976, 77, 79 and 89 Corvette's. I also loved wrenching on his 1987 Camaro IrocZ with the L98 350. He also built Marine race engines in his spare time. My first wrench work was on his 392 Hemi in a flatbottom jet boat.

Classic cars are from the 60's and 70's Muscle era. We are currently in the new muscle car war time........ Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Charger, Ford GT500 and a 500HP Corvette off the showroom floor that mops the floor with anything Ferrari and Lambo can throw at it.

The 1989 Nissan 240SX seems to be one of the young tuners' all-time favorites. Mitsu Eclipse variants also have a lot of 'street cred.'
When it comes to cars, it seems teenagers mostly think about car audio. (F@rt cans, CAI, clear taillights, fake HIDs, and short springs excepted.)

kids today dont see old cars as cool. i am espically talking about old domestic cars. old cars are just that. old. they seem them as dads car or gramps car. the one that some cigar smoking 40 year old with a comb over drives.

my 8 year old nephiew likes his dads 02 porsche carrera alot. he dispises my dads 75 porsche 914 and infact doesnt even like to be in the 914 for fear of it breaking down and his friends seeing him in a broke down car.its not like the car breaks down often. its been restored, but the image of old cars and break downs still persists.

A kid that works in our warehouse swears that no corvette was ever built with a big block. Fuel injection was put on vettes in the 80's too according to him. Also thinks a hemi is the one that is in today's magnum. Most teenagers today remind me of beavis and butthead...they can giggle but their brain has a hard time processing any useful information.

Dan

Well, think of it this way: you memory can only hold so much, so most people only remember "technologies" up to the time they were born.

I certainly don't think you would remember how wagons in the old days worked.

guys, there is a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. tounds like that corvette kid is both, but ignorance can be fixed. dont make fun of him, just explain to him the things for which he is ignorant about.

Seems like most kids are into hot-rod FWD Hondas Civics and such. The days of V8's have vanished in the youngest groups.

Heck the first car I purchased on my own, a used 86 Prelude Si back in '88 was neat car, but by no means "cool". TA's, Mustangs and Camaros still ruled the roads back then.

Times change but the bottom line remains: anything thats more than a few years old just isn't cool.

When I was a kid (15+ years ago) my parents would drive us around in an Olds 442. At the time I just saw it as an uncool old car. I started to change my mind one day when the guy beside us at the red light revved his engine for a race, but it was my mom driving and she wasn't up to embarassing some poor kid.
grin.gif

I used to eat 80's era GM & Ford V8s for lunch in my '89 Suzuki Swift GTI. A kid at my H.S. thought his '88 5.0 Monty Carlo SS was king of the hill. I very easily could have had his pink slip...if he wasn't working Taco Bell at night to pay the car loan. Everyone thought it was a Metro (it's cousin), until I dropped the maul on them. Well, there was this guy that dropped a Mitsu. 1.8 turbo from an Eclipse into a Hyundai Scoup!!! That thing kicked EVERYONES butt.

I was a rice-burner when rice wasn't cool. I would have to say the Swift GTI is a peculiar classic, for the late 80's. Nothing like the Lotus Esprit, Testarossa, 959, or 928s-4, but the first car to give VW GTIs and Toyota FK-16s a run for their money, at 1/2 the price!

Im sure it varies a lot by locality. Around me, old restored '60's VW's and Mustangs are driven by a lot of kids that are into cars. Alas, the number of young men (16-19) that would rather be driven around in moms minvan, rather than getting a license themselves, is beyond belief. When they finally get a license, its demolition derby time.

When I was a teen in the 1960's, just about anything from Europe was cool. American cars had to be less than ten years old, have a V-8 and two doors. Anything that could carry a surfboard was preferable to being driven by your parents.

My grandfather had a 60's Nova convertible in his garage for the longest time. I used to go in and sit in it for hours pretending I was driving. Grandpa also had an old Willis in his junk pile that I would go out and play around with. I fought the mud dobbers and wasps for control of the jeep, but finally won with the aquisition of several cans of RAID from my grandmother. It was on that old Jeep that I learned about tearing things apart (and trying to figure out how to put them back together.)

The purchase of my first 1980 Camaro sparked the interest from there and I've been nothing but Camaros since. Mustangs are alright, anything Mopar has a distinctly ugly look to me, but Bowties get me. Have a 99 Convertible Z28 now, and there hasn't been a bowl of rice that's touched me. Supercharged, twin-turboed. No high HP fartmobile can touch the balance of hp/torque that classic American muscle delivers.

It's like my grandpa told me all growing up. "Buy a Chevy, son. If foreign cars were all that great, they'd have had no problem selling them in their own country."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back