What do they do with stolen batteries?

The place I work for is fighting a losing battle with battery theft. I watch craigslist and FB marketplace and never see them.

Do scrappers buy good used batteries? Can't pay very much for scrap can they?

I don't know. I just discarded an old car battery at my local recycling center along with some Li-ion batteries that stopped charging. Maybe you can get $5 or $10 for a used car battery?

The thieves take the lead and add it to the platinum group metals from stolen catalytic converters. This way they are able to rip off both the owner of vehicle and the criminals at the recycling centers buying the catalytic converters. It's a win win!!

The thieves take the lead and add it to the platinum group metals from stolen catalytic converters. This way they are able to rip off both the owner of vehicle and the criminals at the recycling centers buying the catalytic converters. It's a win win!!
Can't sell a used cat here. Maybe some unscrupulous yards might buy them? No idea what they do with them.

I'm sure the scrap value is peanuts but when you're working with stolen goods it's 100% profit margin. Someone broke into my car one time and did $900 worth of damage to try to steal my $89 stereo. I thought for sure it had to be teenage kids but it wound up being a couple of 30 year olds with a substance abuse problem.

Can't sell a used cat here. Maybe some unscrupulous yards might buy them? No idea what they do with them.
They gut the cat, the honeycomb ceramic is then broken down and the platinum, palladium, and rhodium are extracted. The thieves are at the bottom of the the pyramid. These are organized groups with equipment and knowledge to extract the materials.

I was a city cop over 20 years ago so things may have changed.

Any time we asked ourselves what happened with seemingly-random stolen car parts, the answer was rooted at the local quick-lube places. Notice I say “rooted” as the lube shops were not the problem...

Busy weekend, minimum wage clerks at the lube shop hardly have time to pay attention. The unscrupulous people (I wouldn’t call them scam artists because they did provide the services they were paid for) would have one of their guys planted in the corner, listening to customers. I think the person would wait to find an easy mark, such as a customer who didn’t know much or mentioned that they want to save money.

The plant would wait for the customer to sit down and begin waiting for the shop’s service, then approach the customer. Plant would convince the willing customer to retrieve the vehicle and meet him outside, often in an adjacent parking lot. There the plant’s “employer” would be waiting with his own tools, parts, etc. and would perform the work at a fraction of the cost of the quick lube shop. Parts and tools used were often stolen, with tools being abandoned quickly if someone called the police and the “mechanic” had to make a quick getaway.

Wait two hours, move two miles, and then repeat until the police came once more...

According to a government website I just looked at, $15 bucks can get you a .1 gram fix of heroin in a lot of places and even less $ in others. So recycling a couple of batteries for $20 would seem very enticing.
My boss said he would put them on the payroll if it would keep them from stealing $600 worth of batteries every day.

My boss said he would put them on the payroll if it would keep them from stealing $600 worth of batteries every day.
I've never heard of batteries getting stolen. To break into the car, pop the hood and then remove a battery is a lot of work and brazen. Are the police not doing anything?

Back