Trying to find an 80" Battery Cable

Moss 332-085 works fine, although priced high. I installed one on my 71 about 6 years ago when I replaced the starter.

Local NAPA stores may make battery cables, some do around here.

I know Moss sells it, but for a few reasons I'm trying to avoid Moss.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I ended up buying two 10ft lengths of 4AWG tinned copper marine cable. I also bought ring terminals. It should be here tomororw.

I had planned to solder-I'm very comfortable doing that(I started playing with Lionel trains when I was 6, was repairing 50s stuff when I was 8...considering that I'm 36 now I've been soldering for over 3/4 of my life). With that said, several of you mentioned a hammer crimper and/or hydraulic. Is this worth getting? Should I crimp and solder both? I'm definitely at the point of I want to do this right-I've been talking about replacing this cable since 2017, and if I'm going to crawl under the car to do it I don't want to have to do it again in a year.

I have a few of the generic clamp-on battery(still new in package) in my tool box. I've always bought the type with the metal strap that bolts over the lead body. Is there a better option than these? Is it worth soldering the cable proper to the terminal in addition to using the strap(for mechanical support)?

I will say too that my torch soldering skills are pretty limited. I have a 100W gun(old Radio Shack branded) that I've used a ton, and it's served me well in the past for jobs like soldering 10-14AWG to train track, which soaks up a lot of heat. I mostly work with an iron these days(I do more small work, sometimes circuit board work or the like, or other small tasks) but am comfortable using a gun. Should I just bit the bullet and torch solder? My good torch is currently set up with MAPPro, although I think I have a bottle of propane around the garage(and I think the torch head is rated for either-if not I'm sure I have a couple of the cheap propane heads without ignitors and just a single needle valve on the side). I'm guessing if I do use a torch, propane is probably better for this application-would I be correct in that?

I mentioned buying two spools of wire-what I bought was 10ft each of black and red. I've read of folks running a ground wire directly from the battery to the engine block rather than relying on chassis ground. I'm thinking of sort of doing this-making a cable with rings on each end that I can stack on where the chassis ground strap in the battery box attaches, and then the other end to one of the bolts holding the backing plate to the bell housing.

I've never liked the battery terminals what secure the cable with a strap. I've seen a few that became failure points; most likely traceable to bad assembly.

Because I have a hex crimper, I would do a cable with ring terminals at both ends and use marine battery terminals with wing or hex nuts.

You can also use Toyota battery terminals: 90982-06022 (Neg) and 90982-05035 (Pos)

Here's a link with some good info. I found this when I became interested in making my own cables.

You don't have to get spendy with crimpers. There are cheaper off-shore alternatives than this one that I use:

Last edited:
The positive cable on MG has been a constant problem for as long as I've had the car. I've cut it back and put a new terminal on it a few times, but corrosion seems to always return(namely where the bare wire is clamped to the terminal) and I have trouble. In addition, it's always bugged me that it's black. It really needs to be cut back and cleaned up again, but it's getting to the point where I don't have a lot of wire to work with.

My car-long before my ownership-was converted to a single 12V(26R) from the original dual 6V configuration. The single battery is in the battery well behind the passenger seat(supposedly the original dual 6V config was for weight balance, with one behind each seat...). I put a new ground strap on it, bolted cleanly and securely to the body, a few years ago.

The original was I think British 120 strand, or roughly 6AWG. Obviously that does the job, but I know several have gone to 4AWG and it still fits in the original body clamps, etc. The cable runs from behind the passenger seat as mentioned to the starter solenoid(located on the passenger side also, down low roughly even with the firewall). The length is usually given as 80"

I've spent some time hunting and I can't seem to locate a premade cable in this length. Ideally I'd at least like to get something with battery end clamp already attached, as I've always found that more secure than the ones you make yourself. I can of course attach a ring to the other end myself without much trouble, although obviously completely premade is easiest.

Can anyone suggest a source for this? I've seen some suggest welding cable, especially since it tends to be more flexible, but also counter-arguments that the insulation isn't necessarily meant to stand up to oil and some of the other abuse a battery cable would get(the cable runs along the bottom of the body, roughly inside the transmission tunnel but with some exposure to road debris, etc). I'm certainly not opposed to buying the loose wire and putting it together either.
There are online companies that will make you a custom length battery cable. Various gauges, colors and ends.

I've never liked the battery terminals what secure the cable with a strap. I've seen a few that became failure points; most likely traceable to bad assembly.

Because I have a hex crimper, I would do a cable with ring terminals at both ends and use marine battery terminals with wing or hex nuts.

You can also use Toyota battery terminals: 90982-06022 (Neg) and 90982-05035 (Pos)

Here's a link with some good info. I found this when I became interested in making my own cables.

You don't have to get spendy with crimpers. There are cheaper off-shore alternatives than this one that I use:

Don't use wing nuts. Hex nuts with lock washers.

I wanted to follow this up as the project is, well, sort of finished...

I ended up making a new cable more or less in place. I took my 10ft piece of 4AWG marine cable, soldered a battery clamp terminal to one end out of the car, then ran it, cut it to length, and used a hammer crimper to put a copper ring terminal on the other end.

While I was there, I took care of a few other wiring issues that have been bugging me for a while. Several years ago, I upgraded the original 34A model 16ACR alternator to a 60A unit. This is a new alternator built in a case that is identical to the Lucas 18ACR(45A) that was fitted to later model MGBs. My original alternator was a "5 wire" model, and the new one is 3 wire with the same plug as older Bosch alternators. I bought a Bosch pigtail at the time, but was never happy with the quality of the wiring job I did, and running another lead had been on my to-do list for a while. I redid my old butt splice job on the original wiring loom with solder and heat shrink, and then did a second 8 gauge wire straight down to the starter.

Since I still had plenty of terminals and wire, I ran a 4AWG wire from where the ground strap connected to the body down to the bell housing next to the starter. From there, I also piggy-backed an 8AWG wire that I ran up to one of the alternator mounting lugs.

That's all serious overkill I realize, but grounds are also important and I figure running copper from both the starter and the alternator(and in turn to the engine block) takes less worry about attachment to and conductivity of 50 year old British steel.

The underbody grommets that held the wiring as well as the brake and fuel line in place were not in the best shape, so I'm waiting on replacements for those. One in particular I could not manage to finagle back into place(unfortunately the big, $17 one-the little ones that are $2/each were actually useable).

The shop that installed my overdrive honestly did a pretty ugly job wiring it in, and also bypassed the lockout switch. It's normally fine, but I've had a few close calls where I didn't realize I'd bumped the overdrive switch and started trying to reverse with OD engaged-something that can kill an overdrive in no time. I've dealt with it since the OD in my car is a late 4th-gear-only model. I toyed too with building a reverse lock-out circuit so that I could keep 3rd OD(but also 1st and 2nd OD, which are hard on the transmission if inadvertently engaged)-it's electrically simple enough, but decided that at the end of the day just keeping OD 4-only was fine. The appeal of 3OD is that it's basically the same as 4-straight, so it's super nice on the back roads to leave the car in 3rd and get the 3-4 change without the clutch(and in my car without taking my hands off the wheel since the OD switch is on the wiper stalk) but at the end of the day half the fun of driving the car is doing real gear changes!

While I'm at it too, my speedometer quit working a while back. I've verified the cable and everything else good, which makes me suspect the driven gear on the transmission. It's a royal pain to access, but it's in the same general area as where I've been working on the battery cable, so I'll get that out and see if I need to order a replacement.

And too, while I'm waiting on other parts, if I have the time, the reverse lights have never worked in the time I've owned the car. It's not a switch or transmission issue, especially considering that I've changed the transmission twice(swapped out the original because it was had a 3rd and 4th grind, swapped the one that replaced it for the overdrive unit). The lights work, so the issue is in the wiring somewhere-since I'm doing other electrical stuff it seems as good a time as any to actually sort it out.

Sorry, I know that was a bunch of rambling, but there's always stuff to do on this car! Of course it's miserably hot here too now, but I'm not sure I want to be out driving the car either...

Glad you’re making progress! The diy really is straightforward, it’s easy. There are a few outfits that will make them for you. Some eBay auctions you can also state your cable size and terminations.

CE Auto Electric will build any cable you need.

Back