Grease vs Anti-oxidant compound

Current density is one thing as well as grease migration. You want the starting current to pass through the metal terminal connection itself not some alternate path with unknown conductivity and reliability. You really never want this but at low current density with poorly designed or damaged terminals you can get away with it. You want the starting current to go through the joint as designed.

All greases and lubricants can migrate. You don’t want stray current paths.
I can understand fully the choice of a Dielectric grease in a multiconductor plug which is subject to corrosive environments, automobiles being the most numerous and obvious. I use this on my trailer plugs but frequently need to clean it out and re-apply it because of dirt build up.
In this situation you would not want the possibility of an electrical signal being "shorted" (is the most common explanation) by the conductive compound or corroded due to the lack of protection.
I was never advocating the use of an extreme application that would cause any migration especially an amount that could create unknown conductivity and reliability.

I used EJC , Penetrox , Kearnalex , No-Ox and various other " Contact aides " my whole career . I built , repaired , and maintained electric substations and associated equipment including 48 and 130 volt battery banks . Not once in my 40 years , at three different power companies did I ever see Dielectric grease used on anything . If you want to keep metal to metal connections from oxidizing , use the correct thing . Will dielectric grease work ? Sometimes , but there are better things out there that are made for electrical connections .

EJC Series​

Electrical Joint Compounds (EJC) are specially formulated with latest technology to prevent oxide film formation on metal surfaces and prevents corrosion. It offers superior weathering characteristics over wide temperature ranges, and provides highly conductive tight joints. Proprietary filler particles help in penetrating oxide films and act as electrical bridges between conductor strands, aid in gripping conductor, Mounting Hockey Puck to improve electrical conductivity and enhance integrity of the connection.

Key Futures:​

• Prevent oxide films
  • Improved service life for both copper and aluminum connections.
  • Provide “gas-tight “with high conductivity.
  • Excellent lubricant, reduce galling & seizing

Cons of Dielectric Grease​

Although dielectric grease is beneficial, it can also be detrimental when applied incorrectly. The grease is non-conductive; thus, when used incorrectly, it can prevent current flow. If you fail to clean the conductor’s contact points after applying the dielectric grease, the current will not pass through.

Cons of Dielectric Grease​

Although dielectric grease is beneficial, it can also be detrimental when applied incorrectly. The grease is non-conductive; thus, when used incorrectly, it can prevent current flow. If you fail to clean the conductor’s contact points after applying the dielectric grease, the current will not pass through.
This right here should give you a clue as to the technical accuracy of your cut-and-paste. Again for about the 20th time, if metal-to-metal contact is not being made then current will not flow. They get all up in arms about dielectric grease but it’s no different than air. Either one is an effective dielectric and will prevent current flow and both must be displaced before conduction occurs.

Statements like you posted show a pretty gross and fundamental misunderstanding.

This right here should give you a clue as to the technical accuracy of your cut-and-paste. Again for about the 20th time, if metal-to-metal contact is not being made then current will not flow. They get all up in arms about dielectric grease but it’s no different than air. Either one is an effective dielectric and will prevent current flow and both must be displaced before conduction occurs.

Statements like you posted show a pretty gross and fundamental misunderstanding.
" Must be displaced .." EXACTLY . I get that . Always have . But why rely on that when there are better things out there that are actually made for that application ? If YOU want to use dielectric grease then go for it . But don't try to tell people that it's just as good because t's not .

" Must be displaced .." EXACTLY . I get that . Always have . But why rely on that when there are better things out there that are actually made for that application ? If YOU want to use dielectric grease then go for it . But don't try to tell people that it's just as good because t's not .
I was referencing the quote you posted about dielectric grease and electrical conduction which is fundamentally incorrect.

And for a battery terminal as being discussed here the standard dielectric grease is adequate and appropriate, just as I wrote above. In fact I stated that a dedicated product would be better but not necessary.

I’m mostly taking about physics not debating a brand of dielectric compound. I’m not sure where the anger comes from here.

" Must be displaced .." EXACTLY . I get that . Always have . But why rely on that when there are better things out there that are actually made for that application ?
I’m not sure what you mean in this statement. Are you saying a dedicated product isn’t relying on displacement to provide metal-to-metal contact?

I was referencing the quote you posted about dielectric grease and electrical conduction which is fundamentally incorrect.

And for a battery terminal as being discussed here the standard dielectric grease is adequate and appropriate, just as I wrote above. In fact I stated that a dedicated product would be better but not necessary.

I’m mostly taking about physics not debating a brand of dielectric compound. I’m not sure where the anger comes from here.
I can assure you there is zero anger here .

I’m not sure what you mean in this statement. Are you saying a dedicated product isn’t relying on displacement to provide metal-to-metal contact?
Penetrox A contains suspended zinc particles . Penetrox E uses copper particles . Which one depends on the application . Let me explain it this way . In a perfect world , every battery connection is smooth , clean , and has perfect mating surfaces . Zero imperfections . In the REAL world , people use all sorts of tools to clean a battery connection . We've all seen it . Wire brushes , files , even pocketknives . Looking at the two surfaces under magnification , it can be pretty gnarly . Squeezing that connection down by overtightening it can only do so much to displace the joint compound from those millions of little gouges . THIS is where the benefit of the correct joint compound comes into play . Fill the voids with something that actually increases the conductivity , or fill it with an insulator ?

Yeah I gave reasons why you should not use a conductive compound. You really do not want to rely on that compound which may either migrate or dry out and shrink away from the terminals. Very few automotive applications would be appropriate for this type of material and as far as I know no automaker recommends nor uses them in assembly.

Lead posts do extrude under the clamping force of the terminal and this is the primary and correct method of making contact. Using a conductive paste to make up for a bad or damaged clamp is a complete kludge. As far as what I’d rather have, it’s a proper metal-to-metal contact as designed. But maybe that’s just me.

Yeah I gave reasons why you should not use a conductive compound. You really do not want to rely on that compound which may either migrate or dry out and shrink away from the terminals. Very few automotive applications would be appropriate for this type of material and as far as I know no automaker recommends nor uses them in assembly.

Lead posts do extrude under the clamping force of the terminal and this is the primary and correct method of making contact. Using a conductive paste to make up for a bad or damaged clamp is a complete kludge. As far as what I’d rather have, it’s a proper metal-to-metal contact as designed. But maybe that’s just me.
And if you can get that theoretical proper metal to metal contact then you wouldn't need anything between . I'm going to go with what myself and millions of other electrical workers have , and still use on electrical connections . And it ain't dielectric grease . But you do you and we'll just have to disagree . (y)

Back