what do they call this type of key? 2016 Camry se

it isn't a key fob type remote, It is a smart key with some sort of electronics without which the car won't start. The wireless remote built into the key must have a battery, I opened the case carefully, but chickened out when I didn't see a coin battery. Is this a dlr only thing? I do know a new key is a dlr item.

it isn't a key fob type remote, It is a smart key with some sort of electronics without which the car won't start. The wireless remote built into the key must have a battery, I opened the case carefully, but chickened out when I didn't see a coin battery. Is this a dlr only thing? I do know a new key is a dlr item.
Your key has buttons, yes?

The Lexus has a key that has a transponder that's ID'ed by the immobilizer in the ECU to allow the engine to start. It also has a three button remote. The battery is in the separate button "module" (excuse the pocket lint).

20230610_171238_resized.jpg

Yes, there is a YT video:

The electronic key itself does not require battery power to function. There's an RFID chip surrounded by an energizing coil that powers the key function. The electronic key works only for starting the car. The door and trunk locks 0require the remote to be powered. I presume your electronic key device contains a conventional key for emergency use.

Back