What could have caused this?

Originally Posted by mattd
I would verify valve timing before anything else. If correct a physical compression test needs to be done.

You're crazy putting that timing set in that engine.

That was his call. He is tight when it comes to money. I was able to convince him to buy Motorcraft phasers. Originally the shop thought it was just a timing chain issue and is why they bought that kit. When they got it back together it was still making noise and they figured out it was actually the cam phasers that were having problems so they had to tear it back down to put the phasers in it.

Originally Posted by mk378
Isn't 5-6-7-8 bank 2?

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a misfire code identifying the exact cylinder when the whole engine is running real badly. Other tests like compression and cylinder drop should be done.

Supposedly it runs a lot better when you are actually driving it at higher rpms. They are going to get a second opinion and have someone else they trust better to look at it.

Last edited:
Isn't 5-6-7-8 bank 2?

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a misfire code identifying the exact cylinder when the whole engine is running real badly. Other tests like compression and cylinder drop should be done.

If memory serves usually the relative compression test on the IDS screen goes down from 100%. So by 0% they mean 0% loss.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Isn't 5-6-7-8 bank 2?

If memory serves usually the relative compression test on the IDS screen goes down from 100%. So by 0% they mean 0% loss.

The chart that they gave him has 0% at the top of the chart and has 40% at the bottom.

Originally Posted by wtd
Isn't 5-6-7-8 bank 2?

Supposedly it runs a lot better when you are actually driving it at higher rpms. They are going to get a second opinion and have someone else they trust better to look at it.

Sounds like retarded cam timing on that one side.

WAG: aftermarket timing chain kit let go somewhere, or mechanic messed something up.

Here is the compression results from the dealer.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ford cylinder numbering......? On the GM's and Mopes drivers bank is 1,3,5,7 and passenger 2,4,6,8 front to back. Ford and their better ideas. Time to pull it apart and do a visual inspection on the timing chain and components.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
If it was my truck, I'd tear the front of the engine apart and replace the timing set with Motorcraft or FRPP parts.

I think that is what the plan is if the truck's owner agrees. I've not heard yet what the decision is. His grandfather is trying to talk him into getting it looked at again. He is talking about just getting a new truck because of the miles on it.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Ford cylinder numbering......? On the GM's and Mopes drivers bank is 1,3,5,7 and passenger 2,4,6,8 front to back. Ford and their better ideas. Time to pull it apart and do a visual inspection on the timing chain and components.

1,2,3,4 on pass side, 5,6,7,8 on drivers

Something's wrong with the pass side since that seems to have the low relative compression.

Aftermarket timing kit=🤬. So much of replacement cost is labor....why cheap out on parts?

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by sloinker

1,2,3,4 on pass side, 5,6,7,8 on drivers

Something's wrong with the pass side since that seems to have the low relative compression.

Which is funny because the P0018 and P0019 codes indicate something is wrong on the driver's side.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Aftermarket timing kit=🤬. So much of replacement cost is labor....why cheap out on parts?

I agree. He is tight with his money when it comes to certain things and vehicle repair and maintenance is one of them. He does change the oil but everything else you can't get him to do. Tranny fluid has never been changed and he just changed the spark plugs. They were way overdue.

He feels like he is throwing good money after bad trying to have someone else look at the truck to see if it's a timing issue like a lot of the guys here are saying. We keep telling him it's still cheaper than buying a new truck or engine. Hopefully he listens. It's still a nice truck.

Originally Posted by wtd

This is the timing chain kit he bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078T2G134/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The truck was at the dealer yesterday and he left last night to go back to work so I don't have any details on where the low compression cylinders were. I will text him and see if he knows.

If the timing wasn't set up correctly after the repair, wouldn't that have shown up immediately instead of 5,000 miles later?

No one else has done a compression check on the truck yet. He gets back into town Thursday night and is getting married on Sat so there will be no time to mess with the truck until probably next week. I'm not sure when he goes back to work.

DNJ, it doesn't come much worse than that. To call it crap is being charitable. OE only or proven HD specialty aftermarket for internal parts. It needs to come apart and looked at and gone through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by wtd

This is the timing chain kit he bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078T2G134/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The truck was at the dealer yesterday and he left last night to go back to work so I don't have any details on where the low compression cylinders were. I will text him and see if he knows.

If the timing wasn't set up correctly after the repair, wouldn't that have shown up immediately instead of 5,000 miles later?

No one else has done a compression check on the truck yet. He gets back into town Thursday night and is getting married on Sat so there will be no time to mess with the truck until probably next week. I'm not sure when he goes back to work.

DNJ, it doesn't come much worse than that. To call it crap is being charitable. OE only or proven HD specialty aftermarket for internal parts. It needs to come apart and looked at and gone through.

I think he is beginning to realize that he should have spent the money on factory parts. He didn't like paying over $500 for the Motorcraft cam phasers but at the time I convinced him to do it. I think they are trying to arrange to have this former Ford mechanic they know tear into it to see what's going on.

Camshaft timing (IVC in particular) can dramatically affect the compression, camshaft timing a few degrees off could cause these compression readings without question.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Camshaft timing (IVC in particular) can dramatically affect the compression, camshaft timing a few degrees off could cause these compression readings without question.

That is what is upsetting about what the dealership has told him because it's like they never gave any other explanation or option other than a new engine. This is a small town dealer and I don't know how competent their service department is. The other thing is that he is best friends with the dealership owner's grandson so it's pretty sad that they would try to screw him like that especially since he has known the family since he was a little kid.

Back