What could be wrong with a $500 car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see one, and it is a Subaru. Not sharing the listing because this just may be the one.
whistle.gif
That said, the ad said wheel bearings so, the larger question - What could be up with a $500 car ? Any chance nothing major? Weekend driver? If so it may fit the bill.

EDIT: 96 Subie Outback (Legacy) 5-speed, leather.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
could be junk and could be a gem. i bet for 500 its not that good though. wheel bearing is easy enough to diagnose. do not even tell yourself it could be the one until you have driven it and looked it over .

head gasket leak on that 2.5 motor. Check it before buying. Also the 1996 takes premium gas only

One of my wifes coworkers had a subie like that. Needed bearings on all four corners; she drove it until the noise was unbearable.

Prepare for an idiot previous owner, who bought it b/c it's Japanese, and never needs a mechanic. And bring your OBD-II scanner when you go look at it. I read the ad.
lol.gif
Go into it with knowledge of major parts prices on your head, stuff like catalytic converters.

Yeah--I wouldn't expect... much. By all means, look at it: once in a while you will find someone willing to sell a car for less than it's worth, only because they want it gone. Or they feel they have gotten their money's worth.

But the odds aren't with you. Good chance they are just hoping to get more than the scrap man offered.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I see one, and it is a Subaru. Not sharing the listing because this just may be the one.
whistle.gif
That said, the ad said wheel bearings so, the larger question - What could be up with a $500 car ? Any chance nothing major? Weekend driver? If so it may fit the bill.

EDIT: 96 Subie Outback (Legacy) 5-speed, leather.
whistle.gif

Tons of things could be wrong. Check it out and be sure you can afford to repair whats wrong, or you might just be buying $500 worth of junk.

4 CV shafts, some bearings, a headgasket, likely brakes and tires. Doesnt sound cheap...

Good morning, all. I will share the exact e-mail I received from the seller an hour ago. No cut and paste no changes here it is:

It does indeed drive and is complet except for the rear cover over the trunk space. Decent radio as well. I am currently driving it to work and will send you picks if I
can get out of this rain
smile.gif
the brakes are ok. A bit shaky probably due to a wheel bearing and a worn ball joint, bout I drive it every day including a recent three hour trip to Maine. One other thing, the head lights are a bit on the dim side and myrrh antic thinks they just need to be re grounded. Not a drain on the battery.

Le me know if you are still interested. It should be available tomorrow. Remember if you buy it, it does not come with plates.

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone

I think I can buy a cargo area shade....

And here is the c/p of the ad for the car: (I will bold the parts I have questions about, as well as the part I found favorable)

For Parts or Repair!

Mid 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback with 5 speed manual transmission. Worn, but leather interior. Need Wheel bearing work, Brake work possibly and other minor work. Check engine light on. Engine very strong with no leaks. Transmission shifts smoothly. New radiator, tires less than a year old.

Looking to sell whole vehicle for parts or repair...with some TLC could be a good driver for a while longer.

185,000 miles on it. typical rust over rear wheel wells.

Pictures will be available soon.

I am thinking: 1. How much does first bolded cost.
2. Sounds good
3. Cut away rust as per some earlier questions ?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
One of my wifes coworkers had a subie like that. Needed bearings on all four corners; she drove it until the noise was unbearable.

Prepare for an idiot previous owner, who bought it b/c it's Japanese, and never needs a mechanic. And bring your OBD-II scanner when you go look at it. I read the ad.
lol.gif
Go into it with knowledge of major parts prices on your head, stuff like catalytic converters.

agreed. old mid '90's Japanese cars are all over the place for cheap, BUT they will need work.
my $300 Camry needed about $1200 worth of parts; it wouldn't have been worth it at all if I had to pay labor. not even sure if it was worth it all, but it passed inspection and gets me to work everyday.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

lol.gif

Oh you found it, huh. Good for you
04.gif
lol come on eljefino, you scored the Volvo! (Right?)

I have e-mailed this seller. I would go see it, Google Mapsing Salem from here. And I am asking myself how much needs wheel bearings is. I asked him if the steering wheel shimmies when brakes are applied. He even references a roadtrip to Maine. I may like this car.

If it can last one week from today AND I go see it AND its not a steaming pile of dung too muchAND it is still there, I may very well be wanting this. Only tricky part is that I am still getting my mail stuff to switch over the license to Mass from VA. Still, ths sounds like a money talks car. Bill of sale? Fellow Mass people?

I may find a way to post pictures of this thing if anyone wants to see. I am communicating with the seller and I let him know I receive pay one week from today, in the absence of any other money.

Those were 2.2L engines, solid as a rock with zero head gasket issues. Run all day long 200K+ miles, I have had quite a few of them. Brakes are cheap, wheel bearing assemblies are plentiful.

From the writing, the seller sounds literate and conscientious, which are my very first criteria in buying a used car. It might actually be as represented.

I've bought plenty of sub $1K cars and they're all decent as long as you are willing to put some work into them. Some don't even need a lot of work, it would only be considered work by someone anal. Some need some real actual work. I DD'd several $500 cars though and they never let me down.

Quote:
Pictures will be available soon.

581464_397421136991105_1712294397_n.jpg

This is going to be mine.

(eljefino you got your Maine Volvo already, did you not?)

Quote:
smog test?? god i love TX!

Tell me about it. Anywhere but here.. The person this car is going to is applying for a CCW (they call it LTC here, IDK why) and things dont look good. Maybe its possible but they sure dont make it easy.
smirk.gif

Look at that Subaru.

Rand I have a real fear someone may come to Salem and snatch this. I was dropping hints while trying to not say "Hey, everybody! $500 car near Boston COME GET IT TODAY."

Its the 2.5 but if this thing will pass muster.. Im in.

I am asking myself why he says wheel bearings. I could have this car in one maximum ATM withdrawal. Maybe I should do that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back