What Containers Do You Use Used To Store Used Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not enjoy taking used motor oil, trans fluids, gear oil, etc.. to get recycled because its a messy deal, but I do it anyway. Currently I am using the old 5 quart oil containers.This is messy,and takes alot of time.

So Ive been thinking of getting some steel 55 gallon drums, but smaller like 5-20 gallon.I figure it would take 3-5 years to fill 20 gallons it but we have lot of space outside to store it.

Also thinking about 5 Gallon bucket and a Lid.

What do you use? How Much oil does it store and how long does it take you to fill your container?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
What about using something similar to a 5 gallon gas can? easy to seal, transport, and pour.

Good idea, I wonder though how long it can be stored outside before the plastic degrades and gets weak? I guess If I get 3 years out of it id be happy.

There was another topic about this not to long ago. I...for example, use those 2.5 gallon chlorine containers. They are super thick...just make sure you rinse out all the chlorine first. They work really well...will never leak and they seal up nice. (huge , thick lid)

I have a 6 gallon plastic jug. Had farm chemicals in it.
Have to empty about once a year.
It's in an unheated garage and also about 6 years old.
Holding up fine.

how the h-e-c-k are you going to hoist and transport the heavy drum after 5 years? plus, it will rust and start leaking.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What about using something similar to a 5 gallon gas can? easy to seal, transport, and pour.

That does a good job. I presently use Costco 2.5 gallon detergent jugs. They hold two drains and are disposable so I just leave them at the local recycler.

I use the Rubbermaid 5 gallon plastic gas container. I have used this container for several years now with no problems. I do have it identified as "Used Oil" by a permanent marker just to make sure it does not get confused with the regular gas containers.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
how the h-e-c-k are you going to hoist and transport the heavy drum after 5 years? plus, it will rust and start leaking.

Exactly. I use an old Mobil 1 5 quart jug and also a 2 gallon (approx) Kitty Litter container. It has a relatively wide mouth.

Originally Posted By: Al

Exactly. I use an old Mobil 1 5 quart jug and also a 2 gallon (approx) Kitty Litter container. It has a relatively wide mouth.

Good idea, I need to check our kitty litter jugs and see what plastic they and made from. Costco just upped the concentration of their detergent and reduced the container size to 1.3 qts.

milk jugs. I had some I forgot about outside over the winter and they didn't leak. good quick way to tell if I got everything out of my 4qt capacity ecotec too!

I use 5 qt oil containers or empty windshield washer fluid jugs. I've used milk jugs a few times but they tend to leak.

The more jugs I have the longer I put off taking it in for recycling. I've got about 10 jugs sitting around right now. Time to take it in.

I pour it into Gallon milk jugs. Trashman picks them up with the recyclables.

I have a couple 4 gallon plastic water jugs with good sealing spin-on caps. Easy to lift when full without having to do numerous trips to the recycler. As insurance I place each jug inside a green garbage bag before placing them in my car.

My boss went completely overboard. (We're an office, not a repair shop.) 55 gallon plastic tank with one of those 3 inch screw in ports. 5 gallon pail of citgo 10w diesel oil with a "keg tap" pump and hose. All for maintaining a snowblower and lawnmower.
LOL.gif

I need to find out if he gets paid for his used oil... as a business they have to do stuff to various insurance codes and local laws, hence the (presumably) certified barrell. If he does I'll bring mine in.

My town dump requires you leave oil in a transparent container; when they get around to it they inspect it and dump it in a tank that feeds a waste oil furnace for the town garage. I cheat this and use old oil bottles but my oil transport has to be disposable. Winter uses windshield squirter bottles but summer leaves me dry. Usually fish other peoples' smelly gallon milk jugs out of the recycling bin. (I drink farm fresh milk in washable glass returnable bottles.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back