What causes muzzle flip verses recoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gat tends ta pivot about da point where da force dat iz reacting against it's recoil iz, so it will flip ta da side.

Originally Posted By: XS650
The gat tends ta pivot about da point where da force dat iz reacting against it's recoil iz, so it will flip ta da side.

...And you're the "Designated Adult "?
crackmeup2.gif

Since your grip is below the line of the barrel through which the force acts, a torque is produced which causes the front of the barrel to rise up. Cutting slots into the barrel just behind the muzzle will allow gases to escape upwards, counteracting the torque and thus keeping the barrel more in its original line. However, the sound from such a ported gun, particularly when fired under a roof like some ranges have over the firing tables, can be deafening!

Quote:

XS, yus gotta stay away from dat part of town, i's a rubbin' off a on ya.
grin2.gif
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
650 is right. The pivot point of the gun on your hand ( usually the web between your thumb and finger ) is lower than the barrel, and the gun recoils in a direct relationship to that pivot point.

The worst muzzle flip that I've experienced was on a .300 Weatherby, as it was a light rifle, had a stock with a big comb as I recall so the drop was more than on a rifle, and had a lightweight tapered barrel. Definately designed for looks and carry as opposed to shooting. I was shooting it as the guys who brought it to the range were flinching so bad that they couldn't get it sighted in.

My 30.06 target rifle has a heavy barrel, a straight stock, and is comfortable to shoot when going thru over 80 rds at a shoot, including rapid fire. Definately designed for shooting and not for looks or carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back