What causes a fuzzy picture when streaming TV?

Oh... hmmm ... let me ask you this.

Did your new internet company supply just the modem or a modem router?
More or less does your home now have new wifi and password, did you have to set up your Apple TV again? or did they plug your old router into the new modem?
If unsure can you post a photo of your equipment?

Did you do a speed test yet?
Did you unplug your old equipment?
This service came with a new router. All old equipment is gone. I haven't speed tested yet, not sure how to.

This service came with a new router. All old equipment is gone. I haven't speed tested yet, not sure how to.
Just click right here and tell us your speed. You dont have to download an app for that but can if you want..
Its takes seconds to report back your speed.

Results will look like this, tell us your ping and jitter too.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 7.57.32 AM.jpg

Just click right here and tell us your speed. You dont have to download an app for that but can if you want..
Its takes seconds to report back your speed.

Results will look like this, tell us your ping and jitter too.

View attachment 86484
The test says 6.9 Mbps down, and 2.4 Mps up....that can't be right. This service is supposed to 200 both ways...

The test says 6.9 Mbps down, and 2.4 Mps up....that can't be right. This service is supposed to 200 both ways...
You should download the speedtest app on the apple TV since this post is concerning the lack of picture quality on your TV and check that, not sure what kind of device you are using for posting on here but that could be the issue showing the slow speeds, you really need to test multiple devices to determine if it is your internet or router that might be the issue.

You should download the speedtest app on the apple TV since this post is concerning the lack of picture quality on your TV and check that, not sure what kind of device you are using for posting on here but that could be the issue showing the slow speeds, you really need to test multiple devices to determine if it is your internet or router that might be the issue.
The installation tech installed a new router when he installed the new equipment. The issue isn't just a fuzzy picture, it's also extremely slow downloads...

I did a speed test using my phone and the download speed was 197Mbps. When I do the test on my PC it's 5Mbps. That tells me the problem isn't my internet service or my router. It's either my WIFI adapter, or my computer. My PC is about 20 feet away from my router. If I can find a long enough Ethernet cable to plug in that would tell me if it's the adapter or the computer...

I did a speed test using my phone and the download speed was 197Mbps. When I do the test on my PC it's 5Mbps. That tells me the problem isn't my internet service or my router. It's either my WIFI adapter, or my computer. My PC is about 20 feet away from my router. If I can find a long enough Ethernet cable to plug in that would tell me if it's the adapter or the computer...
That's what I was getting at by checking the apple TV against other devices especially if you were using a PC to post on here, our PC only shows ~11-13 mbps while all the other devices will show ~170+

Of course our PC is 17+ years old

The bottleneck appears to be my PC or my wireless adapter. My S-I-L's a whiz at this stuff. He's bringing his laptop and adapter over for troubleshooting. I think my fuzzy screen is my Apple TV. When it's fuzzy, I close the app then restart and it's clear. It's pretty old, and is not voice control/Youtube compatible. I think the Fire Stick and Roku both are. I can try doing a reset, but beyond that, it probably needs to be replaced. Also, the ATV is connected via ethernet cable. The other two connect to the WIFI. This would allow me to plug the ethernet cable into the Dish rec and get my Youtube channel back...

Well you’re making progress!
You know it’s not your Internet equipment and it’s something with your home computer.
Other than try hooking up an ethernet cable, for me personally I wouldn’t be capable of walking someone through solving your Wi-Fi issue.
If I was my own computer I would try removing the Wi-Fi adapter you speak of making sure to delete it from the system and then reinstalling it like you would for the first time. But that would only be after going into the settings on the adapter itself and see what’s going on in there.

If you get a new streaming device for your TV we are very happy with the Ruku Ultra.

But that’s all a matter of personal preference, we have a total of six TVs in the house with Roku and very happy with them. It’s the only players we use.

The ultra is the newest one that we have and yes it has voice search on it.
In addition it streams Apple TV perfectly. We also have Netflix and Hulu and sometimes rent movies on Vudu and stream them all on the Roku players

When it comes to video quality man we love Apple TV again through the Roku players.
It’s just so ridiculous on top of everything else of all the free channels and movies available. Including Pluto TV and free flix all have programming guides too.
Just crazy

Last edited:
Well you’re making progress!
You know it’s not your Internet equipment and it’s something with your home computer.
Other than try hooking up an ethernet cable, for me personally I wouldn’t be capable of walking someone through solving your Wi-Fi issue.
If I was my own computer I would try removing the Wi-Fi adapter you speak of making sure to delete it from the system and then reinstalling it like you would for the first time. But that would only be after going into the settings on the adapter itself and see what’s going on in there.

If you get a new streaming device for your TV we are very happy with the Ruku Ultra.

But that’s all a matter of personal preference, we have a total of six TVs in the house with Roku and very happy with them. It’s the only players we use.

The ultra is the newest one that we have and yes it has voice search on it.
In addition it streams Apple TV perfectly. We also have Netflix and Hulu and sometimes rent movies on Vudu and stream them all on the Roku players

When it comes to video quality man we love Apple TV again through the Roku players.
It’s just so ridiculous on top of everything else of all the free channels and movies available. Including Pluto TV and free flix all have programming guides too.
Just crazy
I'll have to take a look at Pluto TV and free flix. Haven't heard of those before. I think all of the Rokus and FSs I've looked at have the voice command functions. To be honest, I really don't know what the differences of the differently priced models are. I would just like to get one with the voice command that's compatible with Youtube...4K+ would be nice too...

I'll have to take a look at Pluto TV and free flix. Haven't heard of those before. I think all of the Rokus and FSs I've looked at have the voice command functions. To be honest, I really don't know what the differences of the differently priced models are. I would just like to get one with the voice command that's compatible with Youtube...4K+ would be nice too...
Yeah I can’t really comment on YouTube and a Roku player because I don’t watch YouTube. As far as the Roku player itself, the latest models all have 4K at least in the ultra series.

I just downloaded a speed test app to check the speed my TV's getting...195 down, and 196 up...that side is good...

I just downloaded a speed test app to check the speed my TV's getting...195 down, and 196 up...that side is good...
You might want to try and delete the YouTube app and reinstall it, you can't clear the cache/memory on an apple TV that I know of but you can delete the app and reinstall it which will delete the memory associated with the app and free up storage, then you can log log back in and see if that helps with the picture...... go to settings, click on general.....scroll down to manage storage and click on the garbage can on the YouTube tab.

Hope some thing here helps out!

Last edited:
and still an issue with YouTube?
The issue with Youtube is that the voice command on my ATV isn't compatible with YT. The fuzzy looking pic comes when streaming movies or shows. I still need to do a reset on the ATV and see if that clears it. The issue with the slow speeds at my PC was my wireless adapter...

I was having constant issues with degrading picture quality During a movie or 4K show. Even with fast cable internet of 80mbps. Which as we all know is more than fast enough for 4K. I switched to gigabit internet and problem solved.

The device buffer size and slow to recover internet speed led to those problems. Sure the peak speed was good, but when there was a slowdown, pic quality really suffered.

now I get 4K on YouTube too. There is a bit more to it than just peak speeds.

obviously, I can’t use gigabit speeds. But it’s made a difference in a very good way

I was having constant issues with degrading picture quality During a movie or 4K show. Even with fast cable internet of 80mbps. Which as we all know is more than fast enough for 4K. I switched to gigabit internet and problem solved.

The device buffer size and slow to recover internet speed led to those problems. Sure the peak speed was good, but when there was a slowdown, pic quality really suffered.

now I get 4K on YouTube too. There is a bit more to it than just peak speeds.

obviously, I can’t use gigabit speeds. But it’s made a difference in a very good way
Yes, 80 Mbps is way more than enough, you had an issue with your service or equipment for sure.
80 is an odd number for an internet provider to charge for, safe to assume you were supposed to be getting 100?
If so, there was an issue with the provider or your equipment or many other streaming services running at the same time.

Yes, 80 Mbps is way more than enough, you had an issue with your service or equipment for sure.
80 is an odd number for an internet provider to charge for, safe to assume you were supposed to be getting 100?
If so, there was an issue with the provider or your equipment or many other streaming services running at the same time.
Correct, paying for 100, testing at 80. Currently paying for gigabit, let's test it...

EDIT: 846.83 and 5, er, jumped to 36.15 upload at the end. It seems Comcast gives me 80% of what I pay for :)

Back