what can i get away with in vw 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jstert
thanks edyvw! dexos2 is just the kind of suggestion that im looking for. i know what you mean about out of the way walmarts...ive been though a few places where walmart was it and only it. cheers.

Take into consideration that Mobil1 0W40 ESP is also Dexos2. Dexos2 is based on ACEA C3 and it is lower-SAPS oil used in diesels with DPF and newer gas vehicles equipped with GPF or used to lower possibility of CBU. You really do not need Dexos2. If you are that concerned with availability, I would just go Mobil1 10W30 HM as it is ACEA A3, and probably every Wal mart in the US carries that.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Yes, GM dealership will stock Mobil1 0W40 ESP that is made for new Corvette.

And similarly, all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealerships will stock Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 SRT that goes into all the SRT/Hellcat engines. That has HT/HS of 3.5 cP as well.

If you are that concerned with availability, I would just go Mobil1 10W30 HM as it is ACEA A3, and probably every Wal mart in the US carries that.

And by the same token, there is Castrol Edge HM 10W-40 that carries ACEA A3/B4 spec. Most AutoZone and AAP stores carry it. Of course, the same stores typically also stock M1 0W-40 and Castrol Edge 0W-40, which would have been my first choice for OP's application.

Yep if I was in Wally's and couldn't get a Euro oil I'd grab one of the HDEO's that is dual spec'd for gassers. And if they didn't have one of those, I'd just get T6.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by edyvw
Yes, GM dealership will stock Mobil1 0W40 ESP that is made for new Corvette.

And similarly, all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealerships will stock Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 SRT that goes into all the SRT/Hellcat engines. That has HT/HS of 3.5 cP as well.

If you are that concerned with availability, I would just go Mobil1 10W30 HM as it is ACEA A3, and probably every Wal mart in the US carries that.

And by the same token, there is Castrol Edge HM 10W-40 that carries ACEA A3/B4 spec. Most AutoZone and AAP stores carry it. Of course, the same stores typically also stock M1 0W-40 and Castrol Edge 0W-40, which would have been my first choice for OP's application.

Yep, good point. There is no reason to not find appropriate oil for any Euro gasser or diesel anywhere in the US.

I am currently at 4K miles in running Havoline 5W-30 High Mileage synthetic blend in my 2013 Jetta with the 2.5 and it is purring along fine. Probably will change it at 5K. Since I am out of warranty and not running a turbo and not a DI engine, I am not too worried about not running a VW spec oil at this point.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
I am currently at 4K miles in running Havoline 5W-30 High Mileage synthetic blend in my 2013 Jetta with the 2.5 and it is purring along fine. Probably will change it at 5K. Since I am out of warranty and not running a turbo and not a DI engine, I am not too worried about not running a VW spec oil at this point.

What reason vs. running a VW502 00 oil like M1 or Castrol 0W40?

Originally Posted by TiGeo

What reason vs. running a VW502 00 oil like M1 or Castrol 0W40?

Other than what I originally stated, I have a metric ton of non VW approved clearance oil in my stash to get through that I bought before I acquired my 2.5 Jetta late last year.

I know the VW nerds on the VW specific forums make autistic noises when not following the whatever VW spec, I am just not worried about it because I am only doing 5K intervals on what is basically normally aspirated old school tech port injection engine. If I was in warranty running the OCI out to 10K miles and/or had a DI or turbo engine, then I would be more inclined to stay on the VW spec.

I am not out to convince any VW owner to not follow the VW spec, just giving my take on it. Plan do a couple of short OCI's and will probably do a oil analysis then and evaluate results and adjust if needed.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Does your 2.5 leak oil? I don't think I've ever seen a 50 mileK or older 2.5 not leak oil.

I am push on 30K miles and do not have any leaks. My understanding is the majority of VW 2.5 oil leaks is from the mechanical vacuum pump and that part has been revised in the later years to address that. Job to replace it does not look too complicated if and when I have to cross that bridge.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
My general impression of the 2.5 five cylinder gas engine is that is a stout and durable engine-would suspect you could run nearly anything in it.

this. when i got my passat s in 2014 i had two cpo choices: 2.5 2013 and 1.8t 2014. i extensively test drove and read about both engines. i noted a bit of turbo lag in the 1.8t. the 2.5 had a nice growl and smoother power delivery. the 1.8t was new to the u.s. the 2.5 had been around forever. the vw gearhead nerds described the 2.5 as simple & bulletproof while the corporate msm automotive journalists dumped on it. being old school and a firm believer in k.i.s.s. i chose the 2.5.

I can see not fretting over the 502 spec it is not a very tough spec anyway, but it is an HTHS over 3.5 you might still want something along those lines for thickness for that engine.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I can see not fretting over the 502 spec it is not a very tough spec anyway, but it is an HTHS over 3.5 you might still want something along those lines for thickness for that engine.

hi kcjeep, setting aside the vw 502 spec for discussion's sake, which hths over 3.5 oil do you like? thanks.

Originally Posted by jstert
Originally Posted by KCJeep

hi kcjeep, setting aside the vw 502 spec for discussion's sake, which hths over 3.5 oil do you like? thanks.

Anything MB229.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back