What can I add to oil to help keep Volvo Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told him his brain surgeon was likely getting rebuilt (Porsche) turbo units (third one now?) on warrantee, after the original one went poof, and somehow he turned that into me saying his brain surgeon was buying aftermarket parts, in his presumably nearly brand new porch. No, would not want to end up like that.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
You won't have to worry about turbo longevity in hot Az. Rather under-hood plastic. Read: https://fcpeuroblog.com/blog/posts/plastics-and-polymers-on-european-cars/

Bingo,

Far more important is the over abundance of plastic used in the engine and cooling system.
These components such as oil pan, intake manifold, cooling system components etc are all made with plastic, whereas 10-15 years ago, most were light weight alum.

Just another reason I don't like newer cars!
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: tempnexus
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Sorry; what do you think an intercooler does?

I don't know, but not enough to prevent killing a Porsche Turbo few times over.

Of which I don't want to suffer the same fate as that owner of the Porsche. He has money (Neurosurgeon) so he did not use aftermarket parts.

Side note kind of ironic that a Neurosurgeon is driving a sports car where most of his patients are from a result of a sport like accident (no helmet law in AZ).

An intercooler doesn't do anything for the turbo. It cools the air towards ambient air temperature before it goes to the throttle body.

BG MOA as mentioned earlier is a big shot of moly into the oil. You can also try Liqui Moly M0S2.

I had 1 turbo snap on my old TDI at 160,000 miles. The shaft snapped. The old Passat, 217,000 miles without turbo issues, changing the oil every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
To whom do I send the bill once the Turbo bites the dust?

Fair enough. Similarly, what part of the Volvo owner's manual and warranty documentation allow you to ignore the ubiquitous warning to never use additives in a motor oil?

I have owned many Turbocharged cars (Still have a 06 GTI) And pretty much think of turbos as something you just change out every now and then. No big deal.
With my older Saabs I had a spare turbo lying around every now and then, not that expensive if you shop around.

That said my GTI has 130k on it with the original turbo and has exhibited no signs of wear. I don't drive it gently.

As said before, if you worry about turbo's get a car without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back