What can I add to oil to help keep Volvo Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
Originally Posted By: kschachn
As everyone has said, there is no additive that will make an incorrect oil "good", and the correct oil specified by the manufacturer needs no additive. The proper oil will not be improved by an additive and there isn't one that makes it more better for the turbo.

It seems as though you like to discuss essentially the same thing multiple times.

What the manufacturer uses is based on who wins the lowest bid it doesn't mean that it's the best oil for the engine (unless you are naive enough to think otherwise). Sure any synthetic oil will protect the car for the extended warranty period of 75k miles ([censored] even dollar store conventional will do that) but I am not looking for the 75k miles protection.

I think you are confusing dealer or factory fill (both purchased at a price point) with an OEM performance spec, which simply dictates a minimum level of performance. There have been instances where the dealer doesn't even use a product that meets the OEM performance spec for the vehicle (Volkswagen) in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if that's still common. The poster you've quoted is telling you to use an approved lubricant, that is, one that has passed the OEM's performance regiment, if there is one, not oil from the dealer. Though oil sourced from the dealer could in fact be approved, particularly if we are talking a name-brand lubricant off the shelf not what they have in their bulk tanks.

As for your posit regarding longevity, that seems like a rather spurious statement and is contradicted by a number of anecdotes in this very thread, where multiple 200,000 mile examples have been mentioned as having reached that milestone using that very process you slag as being inadequate.

This site is a wonderful place to learn when approached with an open mind and a willingness to listen. So far you haven't shown either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Sigh. Ok

To whom do I send the bill once the Turbo bites the dust?

No I am not asking anyone to agree with me, I guess what I am asking then is why even have an additive forum when no one ever recommends an additive? Should we just eliminate this forum? What's the point?

If you're this worried, you shouldn't have bought a car with a turbo.
+1

You ask a loaded question and then blow off anyone who provides a honest answer. Sounds like troll city. If you "don't want to hear an answer" (in yelling caps) then why inflict the question upon us?

Last edited:
If you're hellbent on doing this then, save the mullah on additives and buy straight Redline at whatever weight Volvo spec'd for your XC60.

Remember its a DI engine too.

BEFORE YOU POST AN ANSWER I DON'T WANT TO HEAR... I live in Phoenix so the temperature in the summer is on average 105F (that doesn't even include the sun beating down on the hood...and the car is black)

Silver paint?

Wishing far a magic potion? That's Funny.
All I can say is don't use ILSAC EC oils.

1) Use a good ACEA A3 German or French synthetic with Porsche A40 and MB 229.5x approvals.

Don't shut your car off with a orange glowing turbo = allow a cool down.

Sorry, additives are junk.

I would NEVER want my car to last 300K miles. I guess Ive haven't owned a keeper in decades
frown.gif

I guess what I am asking then is why even have an additive forum when no one ever recommends an additive? Should we just eliminate this forum? What's the point?

The answer to this question is because threads about aftermarket additives are inevitable and this forum keeps the other forums free of these threads. At least that was always my understanding of it.

And hey, there is always a chance that a truly useful additive might be developed some day and this would be a great place to extol its virtues.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
To whom do I send the bill once the Turbo bites the dust?

Why do you think your turbo is gonna bite the dust?

Overheating. It's not my car it's my wifes. She doesn't wait the recommended 90 seconds or what have you after a highway run before she turns the car off. SO I am worried that the turbo might bite the dust do to overheating and resultant oil deposits (from overheating).

My coworker had replaced his Porche's turbo twice over the past 3 years....that is my concern.

Sounds to me like your problem is the wife not following proper procedure. Considering the high cost of owning a Volvo (with it's special fluids etc.) why not just buy something NOT turbo equipped? Cheaper to maintain, purchase, and less things to fail as it ages.

Also, as long as you run the proper fluids, I can almost guarantee you'll rid yourself of that vehicle LONG before the turbo fails. A turbo on a Porsche is designed to push far more pressure than one on a Volvo.

What is special about the Volvo? Uses A5/B5 oil and has an Aisin 8 speed.

Plenty of turbo Volvos out there with a 300k+ on factory turbos. There is no need to let it idle down, just don't run full throttle into a parking space. Change the oil using the correct spec, which is pretty basic TBH, and change it when the computer says. If you want to bump the TBN, use BG MOA or Lubegard Biotech. They're quality additives from quality companies. Feel free to try Ceratec if you like, but I'd wager that none of them make a difference.

My dealer throws the BG MOA in for free because they get comp'd from BG when they "sell" enough of it. I don't mind it, but I don't have delusions of it being a magical elixir.

My intercooler comment was directed to the commenter directly before me, who clearly has no idea what an intercooler is or does. Not you, OP.

Now that being said, what additive could I add to my 2015 Volvo XC60 with a Turbo engine to help keep the engine happy and the turbo happy for the decades to come?

I wouldn't add anything.... just run Rotella T6 5W-40 oil.

Use a quality synthetic that meets whatever Volvo specs and you will be golden. No need for additives.

Too bad...you don't need additives. Just 100% synthetic changed at a regular interval.

The sled motor has over 220,000mi on her in Tx heat & humidity. Cen Tx is plenty hot & humid. At the end of the day, I park the car outside the garage, turn off the motor & open the hood to let the heat escape. Works for me...18yrs and going.

So open her hood when you get home, even if the car's already in the garage.

Is the turbo water cooled? If so, does it really need to be cooled down after running?

No. Like I said, just don't floor it straight into your your parking space. Who does that anyway, right?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Is the turbo water cooled? If so, does it really need to be cooled down after running?

No. Like I said, just don't floor it straight into your your parking space. Who does that anyway, right?

That really doesn't specifically answer my question though.

My point is that water cooled turbos don't need idled before turning off.

Water-cooled turbos need idled down if you're coming off a track and they're glowing red hot. Normal, reasonable driving? No, they don't need idled down.

Water-cooled turbos need idled down if you're coming off a track and they're glowing red hot. Normal, reasonable driving? No, they don't need idled down.

Clearly, track use definitely isn't the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back