What caliber?

me keep it simple a wheel gun like a SW model 10 or 15, 4 inch barrel 38 special she even may like shooting targets with it.

Absolutely agree with letting her go to handle and even shoot several that feel good in her hand. Example, my mother-in-law is widowed and lives alone. Her grandson (my nephew) kept insisting she get a small semi-auto pistol. She wanted me to take her to shop for one. Got to the store...she couldn't even pull the slide back to chamber a round. We tried all brands they had in stock. Most I could pull with ease...she could only pull ½ way back.

Ended up with a Taurus .380 revolver. From a distance of about 15 or less...she did hit the target well enough to stop most any intruder.
Good choice!! The 380 is a decent round with manageable recoil. That round in a revolver will work well for you. I prefer revolvers to semi autos for most situations.

Many, many men will suggest a small .38 snub for this task yet in an extensive study done with women, the .38 snub came in dead last for what they actually liked and could shoot. Let her shoot and test
This is exactly right. Especially if you get one of those nice "Airweight" Smiths. It's really not the guns fault, but the ammunition. Most .38 spec. ammo I've seen at the range, and the most commonly sold is the 148 gr bullet, sometimes even in +P loading. Put that in a snubby and you've got some pain coming.
When my SIL asked me to take her to the range, it was exactly this. Then I gave her some of my handloads to try. 115 gr bullet loaded with a progressive burn rate powder, and it made a huge difference. Trouble is you just can't get that stuff off the shelf.

After the fact, that gun was replaced with a LCP2 Ruger. Just watch that slide!

I carry a LCP 380 and yea the tube is full. Still I did this for a living so wouldn't expect anyone who didn't no to be as up to the task necessarily. Like the old Sarge once said to some idea I thought I had, " KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID". Those words speak volumes for folks who haven't had the IFS, WHENS, HOWS and MAYBES drilled into them annually. It will always come as something of a shock and you me and especially the semi non shooting wife type ( like mine)and we are all going to shoot a lot worse than when at the range. Thats just the way it is, no exceptions.
Thats why I like a single action only pistol or revolver. No slide racking, ( takes way too long) no safety to remember . Personally my preference is hammer fired as well due to the nice heavy trigger so it can't go bang by mistake. Thats why I like the old hammer fired LCP like my Custom ( the newer old hammer style from the last few years are about as good as mine). That heavy trigger is not going to matter if the time goes to use it.
Everyone scoffs at 5 shot belly gun 38 specials. My single gripe is how fat they are. Thats it and all. Otherwise they are likely the best tool for the casual shooters job. Just grab point and pull. Hammerless is actually better as there's no protrusion to snag on the way out of the holster or purse ect. Snagging happens a lot when you are in a hurry and at the worst times. Something small and hammerless like a Chiefs Special, 638 or 642 Smith or Rugar LCR are ideal for simple personal protection.
Ive got a 642 smith and shoot reloads out of it. I find it very easy to shoot and very comfortable as long as its not +P. Much easier on the hands than the LCP in my experience. It gives a better wider grip.
Purse carry is OK but has its draw backs. Something to consider is how purses get set down unattended, kids, thieves ect... Thats a fantastic reason to carry it right on your person where it will stay until put away. Thats where the FAT part rears its head though. Like everything else everything is a trade off and you need to find what works for you in your situation and you can shoot straight while keeping it "Simple Stupid".👌

22wmr, even handgun specific ammo, fired out of a short barrel has way too much bark for not all that much more bite. the flashbang is truly off-putting for someone with little shooting experience, making accurate followon shots difficult. i got rid of a ruger lcr 22wmr in favor of a lcr 22lr. i still do like 22wmr through a longer barreled ruger single six or rifle when outdoors. the key to civilian defensive use of rimfire ammo is consistently putting many fast rounds into centermass. centerfire ammo works defensively for most civilians with fewer hits and on the extremities of the target. i have put 2000ish rounds through the lcr 22lr, practicing with speedloaders. i found that i can shoot, at 3 yards, 3 inch grouped double tap ammo dumps on-target, clean through 3 inches of telephone books and plywood backing. being a revolver the lcr 22lr can shoot a variety of ammo, important during ammo droughts or if seeking softer rounds, e.g. 22short or 22lr quiet. as a ccw, in my hands, in my tame locales, 22lr works for me.
Hi jsert.
I am not disagreeing with you. Just asking questions.

I have owned and shot a lot of handguns. I have however, never even carried a handgun, let alone used one to defend myself.

My initial thoughts were that the .22 WMR could well be ideal. A step up in power from the LR, but still easy to control when operated by a senior.
My experience of the WMR has been through longer barrels.

Does it really 'bark' and 'flashbang' that much from a short barrel? I was thinking there was not enough powder in that little case to get any negative results.
Thanks.

I think I have read all the reply's here and I can see the positive side of all of them, but I have to go along with the ones that stress training and Attitude over caliber. If a person does not have the survival instinct and the determination to act on it then having a weapon will be a detriment. No one can decide for another if they have this and anyone considering carrying needs to do some real soul searching. After this practice and training until the operation is second nature. If you have to think about it at all you have already lost. Third is weapon choice and caliber and that takes you right back to 2. If you cant afford to shoot 50 boxes of ammo or you cant get it or it hurts too much you wont practice enough. My opinion is all new shooters should start with a 22 lr to develop skills and move up as they get more proficient if they feel comfortable to do so.
A senior woman is not likely to get in a gun battle with drug dealers fighting over corners, more likely a mugging where the sight of any gun will end the confrontation post haste and any shot will end it 99% of the time so you just need to be the one firing the first accurate shot irregardless of caliber.

Hi jsert.
I am not disagreeing with you. Just asking questions.

I have owned and shot a lot of handguns. I have however, never even carried a handgun, let alone used one to defend myself.

My initial thoughts were that the .22 WMR could well be ideal. A step up in power from the LR, but still easy to control when operated by a senior.
My experience of the WMR has been through longer barrels.

Does it really 'bark' and 'flashbang' that much from a short barrel? I was thinking there was not enough powder in that little case to get any negative results.
Thanks.
hello tikka. i see that you are in the u.k. where i understand that 22wmr is highly esteemed as a rifle caliber given your unfortunate gun restrictions. i certainly understand your premise; it was mine when i bought a ruger lcr 22wmr double revolver with a 1 7/8” barrel. however i quickly learned that it was unpleasant enough to not enjoy practice so i found it another, happier owner. admittedly i only shot it an an indoor shooting range. my own experience shooting 22wmr out of a ruger single six single action revolver with either a 4 5/8” or 5.5” barrel is much easier and “funner,” especially outdoors. i even tried handgun specific 22wmr ammo in the lcr, it just wasn’t worth it. come to think of it, i also don’t at all enjoy shooting the other magnum handgun caliber, 357mag.

i first started shooting as a kid 55 years ago so i’m no novice but no expert either. i imagine that shooting 22wmr out of a short barrel would be quite off putting to an elderly person without firearms experience such that sufficient practice would be avoided. 22lr is the way to start for all gun newcomers and can be an end point for protection too, if well aimed out of a reliable handgun in the practiced hands of a normal civilian who is home at night and isn’t frequenting the habitats of apex predators.

Last edited:
0855E612-FBC2-4CE1-8E3E-FDAAABDF0595.jpeg

Nice S&W…but I genuinely dislike small guns for novice shooters.

The combination of recoil, small grip size, and light weight make them more of expert choice. “A little gun for the little lady“ is atrocious advice given routinely at gun stores across the country.

New shooters need more mass, more grip area, and often, smaller caliber to have good control while learning the basics of shooting.

You can find small .38 revolvers with a fairly good sized grip. I'd go with a rubber grip instead of hard wood or plastic for added grip. Most women have smaller hands, so some guns might also have too large grips for them. Taught a GF of mine to shoot handguns. She started right out of the gate with a .38/.357 Ruger SP101 and was a natural Annie Oakley. Gotta get use to the gun sooner or later, so might as start out sooner IMO. She later bought a 9-shot .22LR revolver for regular practice.

Last edited:
An SP-101 is hardly small, like a J-Frame. It's a reasonable sized gun, so, would be a better choice for a new shooter. My daughters have small hands, and had no problem learning on a Glock 19. A reasonable sized gun as well. My K Frame S&W (4" bbl .38 spl) would be a decent first gun for a new shooter. Much easier to handle than a J Frame.

Keep in mind the new shooter is 66 years old in this case, so IMO that in itself is going to be a factor. Like others have said, racking a slide on a 9 mm or similar pistol may not be ideal. A revolver would be much easier to physically and functionally handle IMO. If going with a semi-auto, maybe get one with a double action so the first shot is just a hard trigger pull like a revolver would have so it could be carried like a double action revolver. Or if she's comfortable carrying a chambered semi-auto with a manual safety or not, then go with that. But with semi-auto, if you have a mis-feed, stove pipe, etc then it becomes a much more difficult thing to handle in the self defense situation. You'd have at least the first shot though.

It also depends if she wants the gun for protection at home only, or is planning on carrying it out of the home. Lots of factors involved, but a revolver takes away some possible concerns.

Last edited:
As a normal rule I carry 9mm but have on occasion carried a small pocket .22. It's likely just the presentation of a gun will stop most threats especially if the assailant isn't armed. I'm planning to teach my wife to shoot and I plan to start her out with .22 because of the low recoil and she can do lots of practicing for a little money. Once she gets so she can hit pretty well with a .22 she can move up to a larger caliber which will probably be 9mm since I have them readily available. I've never owned or shot a .380 so I can't really speak to the differences in .380 vs 9mm.

A standard 9 mm has more muzzel energy than a standard .38 Special. In the same exact gun, the 9 mm should have more recoil with similar bullet weight ammo. Semi-autos absorb some of the recoil through the blow-back action and slide recoil spring.

I haven't been ignoring all the advice here just taking it all in.
I appreciate all the responses.
Still have not come to a decision but a small revolver is leading the pack.
No fuss no muss just point and shoot.
She will be taking a firearms course.
I took my course in Marine boot camp,ITR and Viet Nam.

Of course, if a revolver is chambered for .357 Mag you can go all out with magnums. And in .38 Special there is +P and even +P+ ammo. So there is a large range of power levels of that caliber from standard .38 Special all the way up to full blown .357 Magnum (if chambered for magnums) to match the shooters wants/needs.

Last edited:
Back