What brand hard drive should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I am planning on building my first computer and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on a good hard drive. I would like a 2TB drive, and stay under $80 if possible. At the same time, I do want quality, so if I have to pay more for a better hard drive, that is worth it. I was looking at this Western Digital drive, but if anyone has any other ideas of a good or better hard drive, I would welcome them!

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Get a Samsung 840 or 850 SSD if it's your boot drive.

Absolutely.

Boot off ssd, use a green WD for storage.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
The WD you have picked is fine.
Your signature indicates you like Linux. Have you tried Trisquel?

Thanks! No, never heard of Trisquel! I use Linux Mint.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Absolutely.

I've seen a lot of poor reviews for the WD green line, it seems the blue line is better?

Is this gonna be a gaming rig, general use PC, or media/file server? I'd go with a WD Black 1TB for a balance of speed and space. The one you listed is a 5400RPM HDD and IMO that is slow if it's being used for a OS drive.

Simply a general use PC. The computer I have now only has 5400 RPM and it works fine for me. I would go to 7200 RPM but I couldn't seem to find one I liked in 2TB.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Absolutely.

I've seen a lot of poor reviews for the WD green line, it seems the blue line is better?

I forget if I have green or blue. My 2TB is a couple years old. So quality might have changed.

Big mistake to not use SSD.

You running any heavy duty applications? For normal stuff, a 5 year computer with ssd is just as fast as a new computer without it. Maybe faster.

I use the computer for homework, web browsing and movies for the most part. Right now I am running a Dell desktop from 2004 with 2GB of ram and an old 500GB HD from my laptop, so anything will feel faster to me! I am mostly building the computer for a fun project, but it will also become my main PC.

Strongly recommend WD. When I upgraded wifey's desktop, that's what I got.

I had always thought that Seagate was a step or two above WD, but I found a website that does backups for people and companies, that they publish their failure rates for all types of their hard drives. And Toshiba drives are the best, with WD a very close second. Seagate is far behind in the rear.

If you are interested, just google "backblaze hard drive failure" or something like that. They publish their results every year.

"Brand" is too broad a brush. There are some specific models that have poorer reliability than others, but brand-wise, assuming you don't buy one of the lemon production runs, they are all quite similar these days.

Seriously, don't even bother building a computer if using a mechanical hard drive as your only storage drive in the system.

I bought a new gaming desktop recently that came with a new 1 TB Western Digital Blue 7200 RPM hard drive. My brand new PC with the 7th gen Intel i7-7700 CPU and 16 GB's of DDR2400 ram was pathetic slow compared to my 2011 MacBook Pro with an i5 Intel, 8 GB's of ram and a Crucial SSD. My new desktop has a M.2 NVME slot, so I swapped everything over to a new Samsung M.2 NVME SSD card which is STUPID FAST. Booting up is quick and everything opens up FAST. My web browser is up before before I let go of the button.

I kinda wish I waited for AMD's new Ryzen CPU to come out. FYI, I hard an AMD desktop years ago that seemed to run Linux better than a so-called faster Intel desktop.
I'm not going to use the hard drive that came with my desktop. It was made less than two months ago. I already wiped it. If you know anyone if Franklin county OHIO, you can have it for free. PM me if interested. I'll drop it off if I'm close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back