What brand hard drive should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering about Hitachi as well, because I have a 500GB drive of theirs and it has held up well. I'll check them out too, thanks!

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Thanks, I forgot to check out Toshiba. They are also really good.

Not from what I have read. I went with WD Black for my data drive, for storage of pics and all other large file folders. I'd go for red for storage only or NAS.

My go to for storage has been WD blue but as mentioned above their product line has changed so I'm not sure if the come in 2TB or 7200rpm. Is this a budget build for HTPC, gaming, or general purpose? If gaming and/or heavy use I'd go WD black. Anything else I'd go with the cheapest that meets your spec.

My
49.gif
, ALWAYS WD. every seagate drive i've ever used has failed within a year, including one that was making the "HD click of death" straight out of the box.

and i've never had a WD fail on me.

but that's just 1 man's experiences...

A 4th generation Pentium and a H81 mobo should suffice. Go with the WD blue if it comes in your flavour. Not sure about the Seagate but one of the posters here had a bad experience with them.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I'm going with an Intel i5... it's in my budget so I thought why not?

Which generation?

That's a Skylake or last generation. Latest is Kabylake. Both are same socket and I believe will work in the same motherboard.

Personally I would not worry about the brand. HDs are a commodity now and I would shop on price. Having said that, an HD or SSD failure is always a possibility and having a secondary backup data drive should be pretty much a standard practice these days since memory is so cheap.

We buy a lot of dell workstations, some of them have been coming with 500GB SSD Hybrid hard drives.

They are not noticeably faster than a 7200rpm standard drive, but the SSD is the best bang for the buck you can buy for a PC.

If I were building a computer today, I would pick a board that has a m2 slot, then put a m2 drive in there as the primary boot drive.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I bought a 1T WD green 3 or so years ago. Piece of junk! It is unbelievbly slow. Never buy another.

What were you expecting? WD greens are designed to be slow, cool, energy-efficient secondary storage. If yours failed, then I can see your point. But if yours was just slow, well then you didn't read the spec sheets and reviews before you bought it.

From someone I know who used to work at Seagate, they have done very well with their latest generation of HDD. Toshiba and WD are always pretty reliable.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
and i've never had a WD fail on me.

Two of my 3TB WD Green drives failed. But I put around 30,000 hours on the other two before the computer caught fire (even then, one of them was still readable enough to recover the data afterwards).

I've gone through many WD drives over the years, it's only the 3TB Greens that seemed to have a problem, and I was still able to retrieve almost all the data from them.

Was a lot worse with the 750GB Toshiba laptop drive that started reporting a rapidly-increasing number of bad blocks. I barely got the data off that one before it died, and the operating system partition was already too corrupt to boot.

Just for FYI, I recently bought a 1T WD Passport Ultra for laptop backups.. It'a 2.5" USB drive. It really works well and is way faster then the USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back