What brand hard drive should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a WD black in this old MacBook. The original HD died after a kid kept dropping it.

The WD in the "refurb'd" dell optiplex SFF I bought a few yrs back is failing. chkdsk revealed several errors and bad blocks. Ran WD's tester last night. It failed both the quick scan & medium scan! Yet SMAART info all comes up green??? Odd that.

I keep all data on a separate partition and attempted to back it up yesterday. It failed with read errors with only 2 min. left. I did backup both t-bird & FF data successfully.

It's ALWAYS something......

Hey guys, just an update. I ended up going with a SSD for the operating system after all. Will be building it this morning!

thumbsup2.gif

Curious, what OS are you running? Your sig suggests Linux but if movies are your thing then MS Edge would be my first choice for streaming Netflix. Edge allows 1080p resolution while Chrome/Chromium and Firefox are still @720.

Good choice. I'm running Cinnamon Sarah in the guest bedroom. The dvd quality is very good, moreso after I installed Nvidia's GT710 graphics card. I found Nvidia's driver very buggy with VLC but fine with Kodi, hence, I reverted back to the open source driver. Now it's flawless. You should be fine since your IGP is far superior to what I have with the G1840

If you do decide to stream Netflix best install Chrome instead of going through hoops and hurdles with Firefox to get it to work...if at all.

For those that are interested, here are my build specs:

Motherboard: ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 HDMI DVI USB3.0 H110 MicroATX
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB Sandisk SSD
Data drive: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD
PSU: EVGA 450W
Case: Thermaltake VERSA H15 Micro ATX

Nice work indeed. Do us all a favour though and put a good backup regime in place. I spent a good proportion of my life helping people recover stuff they had no backup for in exchange for pints of beer. I'm now fat, wrinkly and have a dicey liver. If people just backed up their stuff I'd still be thin and healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back