What brand did you first have loyalty to and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I was a mobil guy But then I got wise

So...what are you now?

Originally Posted By: 04SVT

So...what are you now?

He's a wise guy now
grin2.gif

Thanks to UOA's and BITOG engines can talk now, so I have no loyalty. No more forcing the engine to eat broccoli when it tells me it wants pizza.

When I first started doing oil changes on my cars, I always used CAM2. Then, when I couldn't find CAM2 anymore, I went with Mobil 1. Now that I can get CAM2 again, I'm back with CAM2.

Dad owned/operated an ESSO/Exxon station from '55-'79. All we ever used were SuperFlo and UniFlo oils and, put a TIGER in our tank.

When Dad retired in '79, I personaly became a Havoline fan based on it's everyday low price(& rebates too) and stayed that way into the mid 2000's. I still buy Havoline now & again when the price is good but, it'll never be as cheap as it one was.

After Dad's retirement, I had purchaced just about any oil on sale but, it was Havoline that was on sale/rebate most often.

I currently have a stash of Havoline 5W20 for the Mazda3(16qts remaining) but, have a host of other brands as well(syn & dino).

Last edited:
Oil wise. COP oils. For the last 30 years all the vehicles used trop artic and they were always spotless. Now the last 3 years everything mostly had motorcraft, trop artic's twin due to availability. I started using kendall 8 months ago to try out in my ecoboost because i wanted a COP full syn oil.

Originally Posted By: ArtDart

So...what are you now?

He's a wise guy now
grin2.gif

By this, I'm not saying that anyone here is a stooge, but I just had the perfect followup...

WOO WOO WOO WOO!!!
43.gif

Growing up my grandfather used to buy GTX or Valvoline by the palate for use in everything around the cottage. He'd buy a mix of grades: 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. So from as far back as I can remember to the mid 90's, that's what I used.

Was introduced to Mobil 1 by my auto mechanics teacher who was on his way to 1 million Km's on his 2nd VW diesel of which he used Mobil 1 in exclusively (probably actually Delvac 1) and was what he considered the "best oil". He had some tear down data to support his position (he owned a shop that he operated when not teaching) and I think he'd fit right into BITOG, given that he didn't like FRAM either, based on the cardboard endcaps and cheap construction. He recommended using OEM filters for the most part
grin.gif

So I started using Mobil 1... In everything. Started using it at the cottage, my grandfather wasn't keen on the price, but my dad didn't even bat an eye and just started running it in all the vehicles after I explained to him the experience that my teacher had with it. Later on, my own tear-down experience showed that it could clean and would keep things clean. And we never had any visible wear. This was long before I knew about BITOG or UOA's. The tear-downs were done for gasket replacement or engine upgrades.

So I continue to use and recommend their products based on this.

Growing up my grandfather a mechanic always said Pennzoil sludged up engines and Quaker State was the only way to go. When i started driving a friend of the family swore by Valvoline i started with Valvoline for 15 years until my work Chevy dealership went to Pennzoil 9 years ago engines in for repair serviced by us are always clean i now use Pennzoil Platinum since i live in northern Michigan and the temps are well below zero in winter and 90 plus degrees in summer very satisfied with Pennzoil products performance and will keep using them excellent products

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Originally Posted By: ArtDart

So...what are you now?

He's a wise guy now
grin2.gif

By this, I'm not saying that anyone here is a stooge, but I just had the perfect followup...

WOO WOO WOO WOO!!!
43.gif

I got wise by buying whatever is on sale. Here in Canada mobil is always expensive.
Well actually I went from mobil,to Amsoil,then to whatever is on sale. I've learned from this forum that any name brand oil will give similar results in an application it was formulated for.

Before 2004, always looked for sales but preferred:

Mid-80s used Quaker State until I got the waxy buildup under the oil fill cap (mostly long trips, PCV etc new so it wasn't the car).

Then it was Castrol, as that was one of the best oils at the time.

Early 90s went to Valvoline, where I stayed until I started using synthetics in 2004.

Amsoil ever since, but moving towards "least expensive" again.

Last edited:
When racing 2 stroke bikes I tried a few oils until I tried Motul and then stuck with it.

I have no loyalty to 4 stroke oil but I do like to buy the same brand for all my cars if I can.

Started working in a Texaco station as a kid in high school, so my cars grew up on Havoline.

Great oil, ran many a car a LONG way on it, kept them clean and very happy.

70s and 80s it was Castrol for me, I was using a 10W50 living in CT, had to special order it by the case as no one stocked it. Looking back the 10W50 was a tough sell in CT winters Seemed to work though. In the 90s moved to Amsoil and now all synthetic with some Amsoil but mostly Shell synthetic from BJs.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Before 2004, always looked for sales but preferred:

Mid-80s used Quaker State until I got the waxy buildup under the oil fill cap (mostly long trips, PCV etc new so it wasn't the car).

Then it was Castrol, as that was one of the best oils at the time.

Early 90s went to Valvoline, where I stayed until I started using synthetics in 2004.

Amsoil ever since, but moving towards "least expensive" again.

Still could have been the car, if it was a poorly designed vehicle from the 80's. Just because you did your part does not mean the manufacturer did theirs.

I grew up around and seen engines torn apart that were run on Havoline oil.I used to be a Mobil 1 kinda guy,not so much anymore.

Havoline
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back