Why is gear oil so hard to find?

Especially mobile 1 75w140. You go to the auto parts store and they usually only have their house brand oil. I was trying to stick with a name brand that already has the anti slip modifier in it. Had this same problem earlier in the year

Mispelled it so search engine cant find it?

I'd shop at
Walmart, TSC, or a truck stop.
the AAP, AZ, Napa, and O'riellys by me carry it in a name brand on their shelf.

I'd buy the valvoline in the squeeze bag at walmart.. makes it EZ.

although 75w140 isnt the most common its not uncommon either. If you must have Mobil 1 order it for pickup?

Last edited:
Not a lot of people change their gear oil. Many people forget about it completely until something starts acting up. The store will only stock as much as they can sale. If people changed their gear oil like they should, they'd be selling a lot more, and you'd see a bigger stock on the shelf.

Just visit Amazon, Valvoline 75W-140 in the FlexFill containers. Packaging says it contains the limited slip additive.

The flex fill containers are pretty good. Quicker than using the little hand pump for sure.

Have you tried a local big rig shop? Do you live near a tractor and farm implement dealership?

I've had great luck getting gear lubricant and such at my local New Holland and Case dealerships. The only down side is that they may not have smaller containers.

Especially mobile 1 75w140. You go to the auto parts store and they usually only have their house brand oil. I was trying to stick with a name brand that already has the anti slip modifier in it. Had this same problem earlier in the year
order it online for pickup or delivery to your house. that is the solution.

I was having a horrible time maybe a year ago. Very sporadic supply. Now I see it everywhere in stock. Even in stores in the Caribbean.

order it online for pickup or delivery to your house. that is the solution.
That's the problem. They don't have the stuff in stock either. Maybe Amazon would. I just think of gear oil as milk, something you stop in and get real quick.

That's the problem. They don't have the stuff in stock either. Maybe Amazon would. I just think of gear oil as milk, something you stop in and get real quick.
Who unexpectedly needs gear oil on an ongoing basis?
Change your actions? Ordering it isnt hard or extra $$$
Of course we dont know where you live since you left it blank on your profile... it might be under a rock in the middle of nowhere... ;)(Geico commercial)
in that case the answer is still: order it.

Its pretty widely available around MI. I buy mine when I dont need it, then I dont have to worry about finding it and paying top dollar.

Back