What BITOG has Done for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started reading this site about a 6 months ago with a little knowledge about what the oils I put into my car are like. But after reading and digesting everything I feel that I have a great understanding of the oil market today and what are good vs great oils and what the difference between oils here in the USA are compared to what they are in Europe.

I have 6 cars at my house and this summer it happened to be that 5 of them got oil changes at roughly the same time. Those 5 cars have also gotten the cheap Wally World or AutoZone oil change specials for most of there life. This year all of the cars made the jump to synthetic; four of them (94 Subaru Legacy, 95 Pontiac Bonneville, 98 Chevy Silverado, & 07 Toyota Corolla) got Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. The other car was a 98 Civic that got GC.

The other car, an 02 Toyota MR2 Spyder has always got synthetic since I bought it (normally whatever was around $30 for 5 quarts) and had Toyota oil changes from the original owner every 5K. Now that has graduated from 5W30 to 5W40 and I will run the oil longer.

So far I am very grateful and impressed with what I have learned here. I feel confident that many of these vehicles will start getting yearly oil changes of synthetics after I know I clean out anything that was left behind from the conventional.

I just wanted to say thank you for helping me learn a lot, it has helped me make better choices and become more educated.

I want to know what other people have learned / changed after reviewing the information on this site?

I concur. I have learned a lot as well. The biggest thing that has come my way is the confidence to run longer oil changes and to trust the OLM in my wife's Saturn more than I have in the past. I try to filter out opinion from fact when I read but there is certainly a lot of factual info on this site, particularly UOAs). I also find the site for PQIA useful as well in lookin at their oil comparisons of virgin oil in a nice comparative table.

- switched to synthetic;
- began stashing oil and looking for oil sales;
- bought dino to switch to and from synthetic, as it still has its uses;
- began adding things to oil and gas I never conceived of adding before;
- picked up a lot of tips on maintenance, repair, and detailing;
- decided to do an automechanics course correspondence to fill in some gaps and be able to do more stuff myself.
- began corresponding with other BITOGers across N. America.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
- switched to synthetic;
- began stashing oil and looking for oil sales;
- bought dino to switch to and from synthetic, as it still has its uses;
- began adding things to oil and gas I never conceived of adding before;
- picked up a lot of tips on maintenance, repair, and detailing;
- decided to do an automechanics course correspondence to fill in some gaps and be able to do more stuff myself.
- began corresponding with other BITOGers across N. America.

-Spyder

But you have SPIDEY senses the rest of us dont have!!
grin.gif

Two main things for me - OCIs and brands.

First, OCIs. I was a strict 3k mile guy - I did 2500 miles on my MX-6 (pre-vacuum leak). What a waste of oil on so many vehicles. Now I push people's OCIs out (I change oil for a lot of friends/family) - or at least don't get so uptight when I find out they went 5000 miles without changing the oil!

The second major change is brand loyalty. Used to be a huge VWB guy - used nothing but. Somebody brought me some QS green bottle once to use in their car, and I almost refused. I was the silly "these oils cause sludge" or "it's garbage" guy. Found this site. Now, once I get rid of my VWB 10-gallon stash, I'm switching to (a) cheaper brands with good reputations, like Mobil Clean 5k (I'm excited about this one), QS, etc.; and (b) finding the right brand for the type of car, such as even using HDEO if needed!

BITOG has given me has given me another addiction along with my coffee, smoking and heavy heroin use, I now automatically see what is on BITOG before going to any other website. I have gone through a growing phase, from running out and buying a stash of PP, QSUD, and PU to now a more even respect for conventional oil. There is nothing to fear about it as long as I change it at proper intervals. I feel I have reached the third and final stage of development...most name brand oils are OK, find what is on sale and don't use fram orange cans 'O death. Much love to my fellow BITOGer's!!! Oh yeah just joking about the heroin
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Two main things for me - OCIs and brands.

First, OCIs. I was a strict 3k mile guy - I did 2500 miles on my MX-6 (pre-vacuum leak). What a waste of oil on so many vehicles. Now I push people's OCIs out (I change oil for a lot of friends/family) - or at least don't get so uptight when I find out they went 5000 miles without changing the oil!

The second major change is brand loyalty. Used to be a huge VWB guy - used nothing but. Somebody brought me some QS green bottle once to use in their car, and I almost refused. I was the silly "these oils cause sludge" or "it's garbage" guy. Found this site. Now, once I get rid of my VWB 10-gallon stash, I'm switching to (a) cheaper brands with good reputations, like Mobil Clean 5k (I'm excited about this one), QS, etc.; and (b) finding the right brand for the type of car, such as even using HDEO if needed!

I just switched to VWB and the RX seems to run very smoothly.It`s the old I got bored with Synthetic`s thing,and wanted to see how it runs on conventional.I now have Two VWB jug`s,and two PYB jug`s.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Bitog, got me to break partially the brand loyalty habit. (I shop the best oil deals for my beater now). I also broke a 20+ year relationship with Mobil 1.

I broke the 3000 mile OCI habit.

Turned me onto MoS2.

Schaeffers #132

I must say I got caught up in some hyped products and I learned to trust my instincts which never let me down.

I made a few friends, and continue to learn.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
J Sap -
What around here convinced you to use full synthetic oil?
This forum made me confident to only use dino!

+1 Although I went through a synthetic only stage and now I'm fine with conventional oil, as long as its HDEO...
lol.gif

Synthetics only in winter though, as I can definetely notice the easier starting.

8-9+ year Mobil 1 Synthetic user gone back to conventional. This forum taught me more about maintaining ones vehicles. Great resource, I've since switched to Conventional Formula Shell 5w30. Running Pennzoil Platinum in the wife's Grand Am GT R/A. Bill and many others have taught me that oil is oil and unless stated otherwise(manufacturer) or environment/duty cycle and maintenance you will be fine using a good quality conventional.

Im still committed to MaxLife Oil, but my education on grades and viscosities has very much improved. Maybe if i get the right vehicles ill try other grades. Until then, if I get an Oil that works well and gives good results, i am going to stick with it!! BITOG tought me that too.. "If it runs good, LEAVE IT BE!"

For many of us here, it's not what BITOG has done FOR us, but rather what it has done TO us. Way too many hours spent here getting to the same point that many average people achieve just following their vehicle manual.....correct viscosity/OCI (with exceptions, of course).

None the less, it is fun and I have avoided some potential issues by being educated about oil. I have learned that it is o.k. to use and do what I want, regardless of other's opinions.

I have learned quite a bit here as well...what the best sleeper cheap oils for me are, guidelines on intervals, and how maintaining engines can be fun and cost saving when you do as much as you can on your own....oh & made me sad that I can't find LiquiMoly in Canada.

- began stashing oil and looking for oil sales

+1 on the stashing..... never saw that one coming!

I've learned no matter what oil that is discussed here, some people will like it and there will always be people who don't, for whatever the reason. For every guy who's in love with Pennzoil, there are those who don't care for it. For every guy who loves Amsoil, there are those who don't like it. For every guy who loves Mobil 1, there are those who don't care for it.. Those who think conventional is king, just as many think synthetic is king. So bottom line, use whatever you like and dont worry about what other people think.

I never had more than a case + for a stash of oil, now I have in excess of 50 qts at all times, rotating them as I buy them and the stash often climbs to 70 or 80 qts when there is another deal.

I never used syn before discovering Bob's and I only mix in 2 qts of syn, I do extend my OCI's beyond 3000 miles these days.

When I discovered Bob's, I also discovered sites such as RockAuto, TireRack and too many to list. Thanks to all!

As for BITOG I really haven't learned anything helpful. I did learn from Johnny's PMs to trust Ford with their recomended oil weight(5-20 vs 5-30 I did use). BITOG is however entertaining at times.

I have learned:

1. to have more faith in the OLM.
2. Also 3k is pretty much silly in many situations (engine/driving habits).

3. And I have purchased HDEO for the first time.
4. Alot of various "good" oils out there.
5. I went the most ever on any engine oil (4800 miles).

I've learned that marketing has made some good oils giants, and some great oils unknown. Use what allows you to sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back