What are you working on today?

Put the heater hose in the '08 Mountaineer. Dorman did indeed screw up (SOP for Dorman) and the lower line is 3/4 when it should be 5/8"

I had some 5/8" heater hose and it slips over the Dorman "Y" with minimal difficulty. It's not molded but doesn't really matter.
20240102_134308.jpg

I used to view Fel Pro as a maker of quality parts but the last two gaskets I bought didn’t quite fit their intended application. I won’t buy their stuff now unless it’s local and I can return it
Overall I like felpro gaskets, especially they're permadry valve cover and oil pan gaskets for small block Chevys, but to offer a "kit" and consistently and intentionally short you some of the most important seals is unacceptable. If I do another Toyota 5.7 I might just order everything from Toyota. Probably be more expensive but at least I'll be prepared for the job.

As far as poor fitment, the only issue I've run in to has been valve cover gaskets for a dodge 5.7 hemi and the kit for a gdi Kia is(or was) short the gasket for the sealing surface around the high pressure fuel pump.

Overall I like felpro gaskets, especially they're permadry valve cover and oil pan gaskets for small block Chevys, but to offer a "kit" and consistently and intentionally short you some of the most important seals is unacceptable. If I do another Toyota 5.7 I might just order everything from Toyota. Probably be more expensive but at least I'll be prepared for the job.

As far as poor fitment, the only issue I've run in to has been valve cover gaskets for a dodge 5.7 hemi and the kit for a gdi Kia is(or was) short the gasket for the sealing surface around the high pressure fuel pump.
It sounds like Felpro is taking lessons from Dorman. Build it (or package it) wrong, and just keep on doin' it!!

Got the valve cover gaskets replaced on the Sequoia, and also changed the oil. Then I had two tire rotations and oil changes for the afternoon. One was a 2017 Silverado 2500 HD and the other a 2011 Ford Edge.

It sounds like Felpro is taking lessons from Dorman. Build it (or package it) wrong, and just keep on doin' it!!
It appears according to online discussion that this has been the case on the Toyota kit for quite some time, long enough to correct it. It isn't accidental that the kit is short the seals.

Flushed the coolant out 5 times today in a 2010 tacoma, then replaced the thermostat that was stuck open, and refilled with Peak All Vehicle coolant.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L/46RE, Customer recently purchased it & couldn't get it to pass OBD Emissions.

DTC's P0031 & P0037 O2 heater control circuit fault's, Truck has no O2 heater control circuits.....The O2 heaters are case grounded.
The engine harness looks to be factory installed as does the PCM, No wreaking yard paint pen markings, Factory tag with a Chrysler update tap over it.

The MIL/SES lamp works, I forced some other faults & it illuminated. P0031 & P0037 active codes do not command the SES lamp on.

The PCM has the correct VIN coded.

Thinking it has the wrong calibration file?

Put a small front light bar on my non-profit's '21 Polaris Ranger
20240103_190548.jpg

And they've been asking for reverse lights. I wasn't excited about this placement but we already had the light bar and I couldn't fit it under the tailgate. It'll work for now. Tapped into the factory switched ground with reverse, but powered off a relay:
20240103_190605.jpg

1993 GMC Sierra 1500 5.7 V8
Checked oil pressure, replaced oil pressure sensor, changed oil, replaced radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat
I have more work to do on it tomorrow

2007 Ford F150 5.4 3v triton
Diagnosed as having no compression on the right bank of the engine

Worked on my mini jet boat build today, then took my grandma to her Dr. appointment, and then shopping. While downtown stopped and got spark plugs, air filter, oil, and oil filter for the neighbors tacoma i worked on yesterday, some. I'll change those tomorrow for her. I pulled out 2 plugs yesterday just to look at them, 1 was a Denso copper, and 1 NGK iridium, both looked worn, especially the Denso. Since it now runs warmer and won't stay in cold rich running fuel mode it should use less gas to, and new plugs are way overdo, as is that filthy air filter. Matching NGK iridiums, properly gapped, should help her gas mileage some more. She told me that its hard on gas, much worse than she expected it to be. She bought it in April 2022 from a private seller, and it doesn't seem like the guy took very good care of it.
And who mixes spark plugs? It would drive me insane if I knew that my truck had a mixture of brands, and types of plugs in it. Maybe I am just too picky, or not.

Last edited:
Cut up some firewood. About 2.5 cords. Have another load to do tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9990.jpeg
    IMG_9990.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9991.jpeg
    IMG_9991.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9992.jpeg
    IMG_9992.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9993.jpeg
    IMG_9993.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9994.jpeg
    IMG_9994.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 15
UPS was good to me today. Thanks to bitog inspiration, 6 quarts of CVT fluid for the Honda arrived as well as a case of ULV for the 10r80. The honda may get done this weekend. It has a very odd “rattle” between 1200-1600 rpm that I’ve eliminated from belt-driven accessory likelihood, as it only happens at Christmas decoration cruise speed. I’m hoping it’s not related to the CVT, but it seems to only present in its highest reduction ratio. Car has 85k, last partial drain/fill was at 50k. It’s reasonably time.

I’ll save the 10r80 for a nice weather day. It’s shifting better than it did when it was new, truly, and based on newest info here, my “been here awhile” instinct thinks this is the way. Soon.

in other news, the furnace was out when I got home. Breaker cycling the unit twice got us heat again. Relay? Furnace sensor? Problem with the aftermarket ecobee thermostat?? Idk. we can make it through the night, but left a message for help tomorrow. I know I could figure it out, but in this case the professional will take 1/5 as long as I would. This after chasing a plumbing leak, replacing a toilet, and chasing the leak that followed that… the DIY tank is a bit drained at the moment.

2009 Honda Pilot, 200k miles.

Last week the alternator died. Swapped it out (with Denso Reman, couldn't find a new one in stock anywhere)and saw the old one completely soaked with oil. Apparently there was a TSB for a VTEC solenoid right above the alternator. Once it starts leaking - alternator is on borrowed time. So ordered another VTEC solenoid and it finally came today.
Rubber gaskets came out in pieces and hard as plastic.
PXL_20240105_180636837.jpg

PXL_20240105_180939026.jpg

Back