What are you working on today?

Using tools I don't use all that often:

had to remove two pillow blocks from a 3" shaft. Used my Astro 78830 drum puller and it impressed me. I stalled my 2767 impact and the heavily-hooked jaws held up. I pretty well destroyed the forcing screw by the end of the project but that's replaceable

Then used my 50T press to install new pillow blocks. The gear was huge and I was grateful to have my press on wheels so I could roll it away from the wall.

Then my buddy showed up with a D44 spindle and I used my blind hole puller to get the little needle roller bearing out of the back of the spindle. The slide hammer portion wasn't enough and we had to step up to the 2-leg adapter in my puller kit

Picked up after the dog out in the back yard.

I then raked the leaves off the synthetic lawns that we had put in last summer; used the Honda powered Craftsman mower as a vacuum to pick up the left overs.

I planted the tree ~22 years ago when the trunk was about the diameter of a silver dollar. It's now grown to over 16' tall and is green year round. But it drops leaves year round too. Come to think of it, it was a Memorial Day weekend when I dug the 5" deep hole for it. It was 113F that day.

The woman at the nursery said it was an "African Shade Tree" but that's not it's formal name; I have no idea what it is. It's a female tree; along with the leaves, it drops tiny flowers with seeds that resembles dirt when swept up. When I prune it, the sap smells like apples.

BTW, I hadn't used the mower in 4-5 years (maybe longer). I've always run fuel stabilizer and run the carb dry before putting it up for the winter. Choke on, started on the second pull, as usual. If this was anything other than a Honda, I'd still be messing with it. Maybe I'll change the oil - there's a quart of Mobil-1 10W-30 that's was earmarked for it that's been sitting on the shelf for the last +15 years.

Shopping for a new cam and lifters ofr my 1977 454. I like the Summit 1303 and the Melling 22216... They are both suppose to be made in the USA with our steel and they dont have these crazy fast lobes that need suspension coil springs to keep the lifters on the lobes...

Changed both motor mounts and transmission mount on my SIL 2004 Taurus. The car has 213,xxx miles and they were the original mounts.

Surprisingly the motor mounts were not to bad. The transmission mount was a different story. It was almost completely separated once removed.

Transmission mount photos attached!

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1446.jpeg
    IMG_1446.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 15
Old co-worker called me with a problem - brake light was on and beeping - he was topping off brake fluid and hears a grinding sound. Turned out the brakes except the driver’s side rear are fine. Diagnosed a bad switch at the e-brake handle. Also stopped by the local paint stores(Benjamin Moore dealer and Sherwin-Williams) for two paint projects, one will be done tomorrow and brewing a beer.

Worked on the Case 446 tractor with an Onan 16 hp engine to get it going… I put in a key switch, wired it up and it cranks at the start position. That’s solved. But no power to the coil. Ran a jumper wire to power the coil to see if it would light off. Nope. Spark tester shows nothing coming off that coil (dual post for both cylinders). Reseated the wire for the plug and tried once more. One time too many.

Wisp of smoke from the switch and the engine stuck on cranking. Switching off didn’t stop. I pulled the negative off the battery and now need to determine if the universal solenoid failed in closed status (the old one failed open, and would never transmit battery power to the starter post) or if the switch melted. 😑

Stopped work on that for a couple of days to order a replacement coil, look at a heavier solenoid maybe… not sure. 🤷‍♂️

Instead replaced rusted out parts on my old 22” Weber charcoal grill. Used a cut off wheel to remove the cleaner wings at the bottom and it lives a few more years. Used it last night with lump charcoal.

Car projects start in earnest in the next week or so. 😎

I think I got it! AC definitely "not blowing heat." It's been a very cool start to the summer. Cold at night.... I have two different gauges and they say two different things. It's not hot outside at all (windows down and go outside weather) but here is what I got.

Leave it? Let some put? Add (no, right?) Wait for an actual hot/humid day to see the water come out of a properly functioning AC system? Appears to be working. AC was blowing out actual hot heat until yesterday now it is getting cool. Not freezing cold but cool... I think it just needs to circulate...

The other car is fine, I wish I could read fuel pressure but other than that it is fine, the racecar...

Screenshot_20230528-100010_Chrome.jpg

Multiple pics on larger gauge since that is the one I use more. Angles say it is either at 50 or just below (49) Started off this morning a reading of 45psi (after run about 20 minutes, went to store and back. Maybe a half hour.) Pressures are when running, Max AC, full cold, thanks Ford.

Yes, I know some say you are "adding in air" with what's in the line. I used to give it a quick squeeze to have refrigerant in the line before hooking up. Not anymore. If it gets cold it gets cold...

20230528_095748.jpg
20230528_095808.jpg
20230528_095811.jpg
20230528_095815.jpg

Mine is higher than that of this guy.

Last edited:
My non-profit's '02 CTD with 308k:
-new tensioner pulley
-battery hold down bolts and clip nuts were in sad shape as is so often the case with 2nd Gen Rams. I pulled the battery trays to aid in installing the fender-most clips (I think you can also pull the inner fender). I had two aftermarket stainless bolts from Amazon which claim to be 304SS but they're mildly magnetic so who knows exactly what they are.
20230528_173343.jpg

I had to reuse the two OEM bolts that had not actually snapped but corrosion had seriously necked-down the shank under the head. (sorry poor focus)
20230528_203820.jpg

I built it up with bright blue light and crudely sanded it a bit. I'm volunteering for my non-profit so sometimes I don't add the lipstick and gloss I might for a paying job.
20230528_203805.jpg

Installed a Draw-Tite receiver hitch for my mom on her 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. It’s a 5.7 V8 so it will get used.

Her truck was originally ordered by the previous owner with a hitch delete. Ram trucks I’ve had all came with a receiver so hers not having one was new to me. It does have the 4 and 7 pin trailer connectors on the bumper so I didn’t need to mess with wiring.

It was straightforward, awkward, and yes, required a dead blow hammer to straighten some bent tabs on the mounting area on the frame. But it’s installed successfully and is very solid.👍

Since I had it, I replaced the worn out wiper blades and installed her WeatherTech rubber mats. Good to go. 😎

Reactions: D60
My buddy -- who could screw up a mud puddle -- did some front end work on his square body. The initial work was required because he had previously screwed it up. I never fully understood and he does not use correct terminology and I don't ask questions.

I don't want to get involved but I'm sure I'll be somehow helping soon. He managed to either lock up a brake or wb and melt the plastic lockout dial. I post because it's impressive -- both in the carnage and his level of incompetence. We all make mistakes but it's never ending with this guy
image000000.jpg

Today is a paid holiday for me. Parts and service closed but sales open at my dealership. Greased dads truck. I hate doing that it’s a very messy job. Today was worse cause I’m covered in mud now lol. It poured down over night and was thundering and lightning. Had a weird dream last night that kinda fit with the weather too haha. I probably won’t elaborate on that here cause I’d sound super crazy haha. Next day off for me will be July 4th which is also a paid holiday. Didn’t want to grease his truck but he wants it done and the dealer never does a good job they grease the stuff up top just nothing underneath but still charge for it. Might try and pull my car out later with my Escape or truck still haven’t had a chance to work on it. I want to get it on ramps and the transmission pan dropped to see if I can figure out this transmission problem.

Today is a paid holiday for me. Parts and service closed but sales open at my dealership. Greased dads truck. I hate doing that it’s a very messy job. Today was worse cause I’m covered in mud now lol. It poured down over night and was thundering and lightning. Had a weird dream last night that kinda fit with the weather too haha. I probably won’t elaborate on that here cause I’d sound super crazy haha. Next day off for me will be July 4th which is also a paid holiday. Didn’t want to grease his truck but he wants it done and the dealer never does a good job they grease the stuff up top just nothing underneath but still charge for it. Might try and pull my car out later with my Escape or truck still haven’t had a chance to work on it. I want to get it on ramps and the transmission pan dropped to see if I can figure out this transmission problem.
I once knew a guy who claimed he had an employer that was so cheap they instructed them to just put the grease gun on the zerk so it would leave that little bit of fresh grease visible and it looked like they had greased every fitting.

I don't know if it's true but that comes to mind every time anyone talks about lubing chassis parts.

I think you got greased...
Daddy needs to stay out of the cookie jar and grease his own truck 🚒🚒🚒

Lol. Once he got on the ground he could never get up. That’s why he gets a young buck like me to do it haha. It sucks laying on the ground. Makes me feel old too haha.
The best thing he can do at his age is find ways daily to get on the ground. Play with the dog..scrub floors and maybe situps or crunches...

It simply is that he quit doing it years ago and now can't. I try several times a day to do so.
I hand scrub floors etc... Yesterday I was under a kitchen sink sorting leaked pipes and installing a new reverse osmosis system.

When you get older if you ever fall atleast you have a chance to get up if you stay active...
A better chance not breaking your hip etc... Get him moving .

Back